A question about 2 very similar setups

Fahrenheit01

So in the next few weeks I'll be buying a new pc and I have 2 possible setups and I need your oppinion on which one would be better. So the CPU is the same on both it's the I-5 6500. The first setup is the Asus Pro Gaming Aura and Asus ROG Strix RX480. Second is the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon and XFX Radeon RX480 GTR. I want to know which one would perform better or if they would perform the same.

CPU Intel Core-I5 6600K OC to 4.4GHz MOBO MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon RAM 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4-2400MHz GPU Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB 

Cooler Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo PSU Corsair RM650x 650W Boot drive Kingston v300 120GB SSD Storage WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm HDD Case Corsair Carbide Spec-03

Extra NZXT Hue+ LED light controller + 2xNZXT Aer 120mm RGB fans 

13 minutes ago, Fahrenheit01 said:

So in the next few weeks I'll be buying a new pc and I have 2 possible setups and I need your oppinion on which one would be better. So the CPU is the same on both it's the I-5 6500. The first setup is the Asus Pro Gaming Aura and Asus ROG Strix RX480. Second is the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon and XFX Radeon RX480 GTR. I want to know which one would perform better or if they would perform the same.

Performance difference would be marginal since they're both RX480's. The motherboard doesn't affect performance but affects features (like M.2 Support, USB Type C, etc..)

I think your choice will boil down to aesthetics. That would depend on you.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

GTR

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 hours ago, Pohernori said:

GTR

Can you give a reason?

CPU Intel Core-I5 6600K OC to 4.4GHz MOBO MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon RAM 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4-2400MHz GPU Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB 

Cooler Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo PSU Corsair RM650x 650W Boot drive Kingston v300 120GB SSD Storage WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm HDD Case Corsair Carbide Spec-03

7 hours ago, FRN said:

Performance difference would be marginal since they're both RX480's. The motherboard doesn't affect performance but affects features (like M.2 Support, USB Type C, etc..)

I think your choice will boil down to aesthetics. That would depend on you.

Ok thanks. Also since the Asus Strix is a long card, how bad would it sag?

1 minute ago, Fahrenheit01 said:

Can you give a reason?

XFX gave in the vrm of a Fury X. Why not?

I do like their fan implementation. One of the main reasons for gpu RMAs are faulty fans. Being able to buy fan as a replacement saves every one the hassle. 

Asus has track record for not really giving a shit about AMD cards(They still got well built pcbs though). I wouldn't roll with them for now. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

one thing to consider is that if you use like branded components and you want to use software control for led lights, you can usually get away with only having to use one management software suite rather than many different ones

5 hours ago, Fahrenheit01 said:

Ok thanks. Also since the Asus Strix is a long card, how bad would it sag?

I have the Asus Strix GTX 1070 and it doesn't sag for me at all, so I doubt it would sag for you either.

"The best chapter of Naruto is when Goku helps Pikachu to prevent Spider-Man to drown at the Titanic." 
"I have a fear that one day when I attempt to take a shit, the shit will take me instead." 
"You wouldn't have won, if I hadn't loss, man."     "If you give a man an apple it'll keep the doctor away, but if you teach a man to apple he becomes a doctor for life" 

11 hours ago, SomePurpleRandom said:

I have the Asus Strix GTX 1070 and it doesn't sag for me at all, so I doubt it would sag for you either.

Ok thanks.

12 hours ago, GTBTK said:

one thing to consider is that if you use like branded components and you want to use software control for led lights, you can usually get away with only having to use one management software suite rather than many different ones

I know, that's the aura software

3 hours ago, Fahrenheit01 said:

I know, that's the aura software

I have not used on recent PCs, so maybe someone can confirm this it but I think that is also connected in with the software overclocking/fan management suite

The two top 480 cards are MSI Gaming X and the XFX GTR; asus isn't bad but it doesn't excel at anything either where as Asus charges a premium for their brand name and lighting. MSI imo has better overall performance in cooling, overclocking and silence; the XFX isn't as great as MSI in cooling or silence but overclocks better. For motherboards I have always liked the Asus BIOS so I always go with Asus but the new MSI ones are good to so either is fine.

2 hours ago, Shura said:

The two top 480 cards are MSI Gaming X and the XFX GTR; asus isn't bad but it doesn't excel at anything either where as Asus charges a premium for their brand name and lighting. MSI imo has better overall performance in cooling, overclocking and silence; the XFX isn't as great as MSI in cooling or silence but overclocks better. For motherboards I have always liked the Asus BIOS so I always go with Asus but the new MSI ones are good to so either is fine.

The MSI one is not possible, it's red. I'm making an black and orange build so i need as much black and grey parts i can get. Is there any difference in these 2 mobos in their features and which one would be better? I'm mainly gonna game on this pc and also do some work for school lile on the internet and microsoft office. One note though, I'm gonna upgrade to an unlocked CPU next year so which mobo is better for overclocking?

1 hour ago, Fahrenheit01 said:

The MSI one is not possible, it's red. I'm making an black and orange build so i need as much black and grey parts i can get. Is there any difference in these 2 mobos in their features and which one would be better? I'm mainly gonna game on this pc and also do some work for school lile on the internet and microsoft office. One note though, I'm gonna upgrade to an unlocked CPU next year so which mobo is better for overclocking?

They are both technically in the same class of motherboards and in terms of performance and you won't notice any difference in performance. The Asus one has 2 USB 3.1, 4 USB 3 and 2 USB 2, where as the MSI has 4 USB 3.1 and 4 USB 2. Considering the difference in price, I would go with the MSI and I think the MSI has a bit more gaming bells and whistles.

As for GPU, if MSI isn't an option, I would go with the XFX GTR.

5 hours ago, Shura said:

They are both technically in the same class of motherboards and in terms of performance and you won't notice any difference in performance. The Asus one has 2 USB 3.1, 4 USB 3 and 2 USB 2, where as the MSI has 4 USB 3.1 and 4 USB 2. Considering the difference in price, I would go with the MSI and I think the MSI has a bit more gaming bells and whistles.

As for GPU, if MSI isn't an option, I would go with the XFX GTR.

Ok thank you very much. I think I'll go with XFX and MSI then.