4K display only runs at 30 not 60Hz even with HDMI 2.0

Go to solution Solved by AshleyAshes,

https://www.manualsearcher.com/philips/55pfl5601-f7/manual

It's a crappy website but it's embedded in there.  It's confusing as to why Philips site only provides the SERVICE MANUAL, but this appears to be the normal user guide.

i have a 55 inch 4k 60hz tv that im trying to use as a second monitor for my pc. the tv has hdmi 2.0 ports, im using an hdmi 2.0 cable, and my graphics card, msi rx 480 8GB has hdmi 2.0 ports. my 1080 p monitor is running at 60hz, but in the advanced display setting>display adapter properties in Win 10 it only lets me go up to 30 hz for my 4k display. i have all the latest Win and Amd updates installed.

how do i fix it?

Thanks

Capture.PNG

3 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

i have a 55 inch 4k 60hz tv that im trying to use as a second monitor for my pc. the tv has hdmi 2.0 ports, im using an hdmi 2.0 cable, and my graphics card, msi rx 480 8GB has hdmi 2.0 ports. my 1080 p monitor is running at 60hz, but in the advanced display setting>display adapter properties in Win 10 it only lets me go up to 30 hz for my 4k display. i have all the latest Win and Amd updates installed.

how do i fix it?

Thanks

Capture.PNG

Try the modes on the TV. Maybe gaming mode?

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, BiscuitMassacre said:

Try the modes on the TV. Maybe gaming mode?

there is no gaming mode, there is only HDTV or PC mode and im in PC mode

5 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

there is no gaming mode, there is only HDTV or PC mode and im in PC mode

What TV is it?

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Probably the TV or the MoBo not having support for HDMI 2.0 yet

it is a new asus Z170 pro gaming aura board, i think it is compatible with hdmi 2.0

3 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

What TV is it?

it is a phillips walmart black friday special that was never made before and will never be sold again most likely. however it is a phillips, not some no name brand

edit, it is the Philips 55PFL5601/F7 55" 4K Ultra HD 2160p 60Hz LED Smart HDTV (4K x 2K)

1 minute ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

it is a phillips walmart black friday special that was never made before and will never be sold again most likely. however it is a phillips, not some no name brand

you sure it's 60hz?

If you could give the specific model that would be great.

Just now, Izumi Reina said:

If you could give the specific model that would be great.

Philips 55PFL5601/F7 55" 4K Ultra HD 2160p 60Hz LED Smart HDTV (4K x 2K)

A lot of 4k TV's still try to send 4k signals through a hdmi 1.4. It's possible that the connectors on your TV is 1.4

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

2 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

yes

I dont know if this helps because you have an AMD card but 

in the video he is able to fix the problem of it being stuck at 30Hz

Maybe AMD has something similar?

3 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

A lot of 4k TV's still try to send 4k signals through a hdmi 1.4. It's possible that the connectors on your TV is 1.4

it says it is hdmi 2.0

Capture.PNG

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Tried all 3 hdmi connections on the tv?  Looks like one is marked differently than the others.

i tried all 3 yes

8 minutes ago, Izumi Reina said:

I dont know if this helps because you have an AMD card but 

```

in the video he is able to fix the problem of it being stuck at 30Hz

Maybe AMD has something similar?

unfortunately unless i dont have the right control panel, AMD's settings are pretty limited.

Capture2.PNG

Have you tried looking for 'AMD Catalyst Control Center' since it seems to be very similar

Image result for amd catalyst control center

Also did you make sure there is a HDMI 2.0 port on the TV? Your cable is HDMI 2.0 and that your plugging it into the right port in the tv?

To quote the manual:

The HDMI connector with HDMI mode set to Legacy (Compatibility) supports up to UHD 30P, while The HDMI connector with HDMI mode set to Normal supports up to UHD 60P.

Switching the HDMI mode between Normal and Legacy (Compatibility) may cause loss of HDMI CEC functionality in certain cases

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

To quote the manual:

how do i get to the mode selection?

how do i get to the mode selection?

Did the TV not come with a handy paper booklet of instructions that is frequently called 'The Manual' or do I need to read out the entire online version for you?

13 minutes ago, Izumi Reina said:

Have you tried looking for 'AMD Catalyst Control Center' since it seems to be very similar

Image result for amd catalyst control center

Also did you make sure there is a HDMI 2.0 port on the TV? Your cable is HDMI 2.0 and that your plugging it into the right port in the tv?

the radeon settings that i showed replaced catalyst 

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Did the TV not come with a handy paper booklet of instructions that is frequently called 'The Manual' or do I need to read out the entire online version for you?

the manual that came with it was extremely simplistic and the majority of it was just how to put the stand on the tv, so yes read it to me lol. ive already looked over the manual it came with a bunch of times trying to figure out how to change color settings but there was nothing in it about frame rate 

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

https://www.manualsearcher.com/philips/55pfl5601-f7/manual

It's a crappy website but it's embedded in there.  It's confusing as to why Philips site only provides the SERVICE MANUAL, but this appears to be the normal user guide.

i found the hdmi mode button from the manual you linked, it sure was hidden.

it now works in 60 hz thank you!

so it turned out to be the tv all along having it default to 30hz for some reason

thanks for all the help everyone :)

I would like to point out that in this thread people went to some crazy efforts to suggest GPU solutions and I was the one that said 'I bet there's something in the settings that limits the EDID to report that it can do 60hz at 2160p, I'll go read the manual.'

Read The Manual.