Audio Engine A5+ vs Creative Labs Katana

Holmes2468

I think I have narrowed down my decision to what I want to replaced my Klipsch Media Pro 2.1 with. Te reason I'm replacing them is because I need either a 2.1 system with a smaller sub or go with a 2.0 system. I guess I can classify myself as a multi media user that games.

I'm trying to decide between the Audio Engine A5+ (2.0 setup) or the All new Creative Labs Sound Blaster Katana. The Katana is a all new sound bar for computer use created by creative labs that is centered towards gamers. So far the reviewers are giving the Katana top picks in SQ and features and I know the A5+ would be a great set up as well. 

I would go after the A5+ if it wasn't for not having a proper DAC for those speakers and I didn't know how well some of my music and games would sound on the a5+ and I wonder how well it would take to stock MB sound. Personally, I love clarity with some bass rumble to it.

If anyone has any knowledge about the A5+ or a better unit for about $300 usd, give or take $25, please let me know ASAP. The A5+ sale is engine tomorrow and I rather get the units while they are $319 on Amazon.

24 minutes ago, Holmes2468 said:

I think I have narrowed down my decision to what I want to replaced my Klipsch Media Pro 2.1 with. Te reason I'm replacing them is because I need either a 2.1 system with a smaller sub or go with a 2.0 system. I guess I can classify myself as a multi media user that games.

I'm trying to decide between the Audio Engine A5+ (2.0 setup) or the All new Creative Labs Sound Blaster Katana. The Katana is a all new sound bar for computer use created by creative labs that is centered towards gamers. So far the reviewers are giving the Katana top picks in SQ and features and I know the A5+ would be a great set up as well. 

I would go after the A5+ if it wasn't for not having a proper DAC for those speakers and I didn't know how well some of my music and games would sound on the a5+ and I wonder how well it would take to stock MB sound. Personally, I love clarity with some bass rumble to it.

If anyone has any knowledge about the A5+ or a better unit for about $300 usd, give or take $25, please let me know ASAP. The A5+ sale is engine tomorrow and I rather get the units while they are $319 on Amazon.

Unless you have a junk mobo the onboard sound is going to have a more then capable built in dac,  and the speakers themself are powered.  If your looking for bass I doubt the soundbar or speakers are going to give anything amazing without a sub.  I have a AS8 Sub for my A2+'s and they are great with it I love it.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

1 minute ago, Ryoku said:

Unless you have a junk mobo the onboard sound is going to have a more then capable built in dac,  and the speakers themself are powered.  If your looking for bass I doubt the soundbar or speakers are going to give anything amazing without a sub.  I have a A8S Sub for my A2+'s and they are great with it I love it.

The SB Katana comes with a sub. 

I did look at the A2+ with the S8 and the S8 is larger than my current pro media. 

2 minutes ago, Holmes2468 said:

I did look at the A2+ with the S8 and the S8 is larger than my current pro media. 

Yea its a big sub it's really make stuff rumble unless I turn it down to a minimum.  Linus did some reviews on speakers awhile back and A5+'s were one of them, I'd go look that video up.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Just now, Ryoku said:

Yea its a big sub it's really make stuff rumble unless I turn it down to a minimum.  Linus did some review on speakers awhile back and A5+'s were on of them, I'd go look that video up.

I look at the review, I just wanted to know what people actually thought of the A5+ without the sub. Especially the base. 

I like the A2+ but the issue is that the sub is a 1" wider than the Klipsch.  

4 minutes ago, Holmes2468 said:

That's not a sub.

I would get JBL LSR305's. End of story. Get them in the 2 pack and save $50. The A5+ are slightly overpriced, and I don't even want to think about how overpriced that monstrosity from Creative is.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

That's not a sub.

I would get JBL LSR305's. End of story. Get them in the 2 pack and save $50. The A5+ are slightly overpriced, and I don't even want to think about how overpriced that monstrosity from Creative is.

I have no way to connect the  JBL LSR305 to my computer. Or else I would of hopped in and got it already. :(

As for the SB, what is it called if it isn't a sub? 

Just now, Holmes2468 said:

I have no way to connect the  JBL LSR305 to my computer.

I don't follow.

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

I don't follow.

Sorry, I mean that I don't have a way to connect the JBL's to my computer. I don't have a DAC or a sound card. It will have to be connected via USB or 3.5mm

19 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

Unless you have a junk mobo the onboard sound is going to have a more then capable built in dac,  and the speakers themself are powered.  If your looking for bass I doubt the soundbar or speakers are going to give anything amazing without a sub.  I have a AS8 Sub for my A2+'s and they are great with it I love it.

Do you know if they have a thinner sub? 

1 minute ago, Holmes2468 said:

Sorry, I mean that I don't have a way to connect the JBL's to my computer. I don't have a DAC or a sound card. It will have to be connected via USB or 3.5mm

Is the latter a problem? No reason you can't use the 3.5mm output from your motherboard.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Is the latter a problem? No reason you can't use the 3.5mm output from your motherboard.

jbl-lsr305-studio-monitor-pair-b.jpg

1 minute ago, Holmes2468 said:

How would you rate their bass output? 

They can reach 50Hz and should have headroom to boost the level a bit if you can't handle accurate bass response.

1 hour ago, Holmes2468 said:

how are these units with gaming? 

Should be fine, I'd originally intended to get 'em, but couldn't find a set locally and had to order one and deal with the wait time (I suck at waiting). Heard lotsa good thing about it hence my decision to buy it, but due to stated reasons, I decided to get a pair of KRK Rokit5 G3's instead.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

6 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Should be fine, I'd originally intended to get 'em, but couldn't find a set locally and had to order one and deal with the wait time (I suck at waiting). Heard lotsa good thing about it hence my decision to buy it, but due to stated reasons, I decided to get a pair of KRK Rokit5 G3's instead.

My only issue now with the JBL's is  size.  the Audio Engine A2+ would be perfect size wise but the sub would be too large. the A5+ and JBL 3 series are borderline too big.

20 minutes ago, Holmes2468 said:

My only issue now with the JBL's is  size.  the Audio Engine A2+ would be perfect size wise but the sub would be too large. the A5+ and JBL 3 series are borderline too big.

The jbls are much better though

8 hours ago, SSL said:

I don't follow.

Face it, people are afraid of studio monitors because they have to many ports.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Aren't monitors for content creation? 

I'm not creating content. 

1 hour ago, Holmes2468 said:

Aren't monitors for content creation? 

I'm not creating content. 

They are for highest sound quality possible. I would think that you would want that.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

51 minutes ago, spwath said:

They are for highest sound quality possible. I would think that you would want that.

I would, I just don't like the size is all. I only have 7.5 inches of desk on both sides of my monitor. the jbls would fit but it would only be firing forwards instead of pointed at me. 

33 minutes ago, Holmes2468 said:

I would, I just don't like the size is all. I only have 7.5 inches of desk on both sides of my monitor. the jbls would fit but it would only be firing forwards instead of pointed at me. 

Then I guess you'll have to get something else.

Actually, I don't think a lack of toe-in would be a big problem, since these speakers do pretty well off-axis.