installing a new cpu

elexi0s

so for Christmas i will be upgrading my cpu from an i3 3220 to an i5 6600k. 

i have a few issues as well as needing just general tips and reassurance.

so firstly, my processor right now is an LGA 1155 socket but the i5 is 1151. do i also need a a new motherboard or is 1151 compatible with 1155 motherboard.

secondly, isopropol alcohol is for cleaning thermal compound off right?

thirdly a pea sized drop is enough thermal compound right?

fourthly so i read a guide on installing a new processor that says you dont need to apply pressure, does it just slide in with gravity when facing downwards?

fifthly what are the little visual things to tell which direction is correct, like the little symbols.

finally just any tips to help someone worried it will go wrong.

thanks in advance - elexios

yes you need a new board, as you are getting the 6600K you should opt for a Z170 board.

As for installing the CPU, ensure its in the correct orientation (gold triangle) and it will just drop into the socket, the clamp for the cooler (depends on type) is usually tight

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1.) No. You will need a new motherboard. The two sockets are not electrically, nor are they physically compatible.

2.) Yes, we use isopropyl alcohol heavily at my workplace to clean things off(where we build military electronics), and I use it heavily personally when cleaning off thermal paste.

3.) Yes.

4.) That is correct. If the CPU is facing the right way, it should just drop right in.

5.) The arrows/triangles are what you're trying to line up.

6.) Take your time, and don't freak out.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1. Yes you need new mobo.

2. Yea

3. It's enough but I would apply a little more than that(about 1.5x)

4. never apply force when installing cpu

5. You have to line the illuminati on socket and cpu.

6. nothing much really

2 minutes ago, elexi0s said:

thanks everyone im kinda on a budget so will this micro atx board do? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157685

and secondly this motherboard is ddr4 do i also need ddr4 ram, and if so is there a motherboard i can get for about £50 that can use ddr3

If the motherboard uses DDR4 memory, you must use DDR4 memory. Bear in mind that if you're going with Skylake, Intel recommends that you use either DDR3L or DDR4 memory. Normal DDR3 apparently puts too much of a load on the IMC(integrated memory controller). 

If you're going to buy that motherboard, switch to a non-K CPU as you cannot overclock with that board(except for maybe through base clock).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch