Which is a better camera

Go to solution Solved by AkiraDaarkst,
22 minutes ago, Wheeljack699 said:

Hi there, I'm i beginner in cameras, which one is better canon 760d or 70d and which has better image quality and a flip screen. I am looking to get it for photography and videography 

They're both pretty similar cameras, without any significant differences and both have flip screens if that's important to you.  You can go to Canon's website for both products and compare the specs.

Hi there, I'm i beginner in cameras, which one is better canon 760d or 70d and which has better image quality and a flip screen. I am looking to get it for photography and videography 

22 minutes ago, Wheeljack699 said:

They're both pretty similar cameras, without any significant differences and both have flip screens if that's important to you.  You can go to Canon's website for both products and compare the specs.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

thank you i'll choose the camera that best suits me thank you again :)

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-760D-vs-Canon-EOS-70D

The 760D-

• Has a higher resolution (4 more megapixels)
  • Has better colour depth
  • Has better Dynamic range
  • Is smaller and 200 grams lighter
  • Is cheaper
  • Has better wireless connectivity

The 70D-

• Has more than double the battery life (920 shots vs 440 shots)
  • Is weatherproof
  • Has a faster 'burst rate' - can take 7 pictures in a second as opposed to 5 on the 760D.
  • Features a fastest shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second, which is twice as fast as the 760D's 1/4000th
  • Has a 98% coverage viewfinder (as opposed to the 760D's 95%)
  • Has a brighter pentaprism viewfinder

There are other differences, but this makes up the bulk of them. As of now, the 70D is on sale and is only $50 more than the 760D, so I would recommend that you get the 70D instead. You won't have to worry about running out of battery or getting your camera a little wet, although you'll need weather-sealed lenses for that.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

The 760D-

• Is cheaper

The 70D-

• Is weatherproof
  • Features a fastest shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second, which is twice as fast as the 760D's 1/4000th

There are other differences, but this makes up the bulk of them.

oh thank you

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

The 760D-

• Is cheaper

The 70D-

• Is weatherproof

There are other differences, but this makes up the bulk of them. As of now, the 70D is on sale and is only $50 more than the 760D, so I would recommend that you get the 70D instead. You won't have to worry about running out of battery or getting your camera a little wet, although you'll need weather-sealed lenses for that.

Most of these differences are completely insignificant.  It's like telling someone who loves eating spaghetti that bowl A has one extra strand of noodles compared to bowl B.

The only significant points would be the battery life and weather sealing.  And having better weather sealing doesn't necessarily make it completely weather proof.  The camera will be able to handle light rain and probably not much more.  It's not the 1D series.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

36 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Most of these differences are completely insignificant.  It's like telling someone who loves eating spaghetti that bowl A has one extra strand of noodles compared to bowl B.

The only significant points would be the battery life and weather sealing.  And having better weather sealing doesn't necessarily make it completely weather proof.  The camera will be able to handle light rain and probably not much more.  It's not the 1D series.

Well, at this point, they're just $50 apart, so it comes down to whether you're willing to deal with a heavier camera for double the battery life, weather sealing (to some extent), and the other bells and whistles (faster burst rate, better viewfinder, faster max shutter speed). I'd say all that is worth the tradeoff, even if you are getting a slightly lower-resolution sensor and a slight disadvantage in colour depth and dynamic range.

12 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Well, at this point, they're just $50 apart, so it comes down to whether you're willing to deal with a heavier camera for double the battery life, weather sealing (to some extent), and the other bells and whistles (faster burst rate, better viewfinder, faster max shutter speed). I'd say all that is worth the tradeoff, even if you are getting a slightly lower-resolution sensor and a slight disadvantage in colour depth and dynamic range.

Yeah but according to your own website:

• Color depth difference is 22.6 vs 22.5, completely insignificant.
  • Dynamic range difference: 12.0 vs 11.6, hardly noticeable.
  • MP: 24 vs 20, 4MP difference might matter to some people, but again not that much of a difference.  It's not like comparing a 12MP camera to a 50MP camera.
  • 98% vs 95% viewfinder coverage... hardly any big difference for real world usage.
  • Low light ISO: 926 vs 915, it's a difference of 9 points

Canon DSLRs have been shooting 1080p for years now, and they've capped it at 30fps max so no real deal breaker between the two cameras.  The 200g or so weight difference is probably due to the 70D having more alloy and less plastic in the body.

I agree that the 70D might be a better buy for the OP, especially if the price is only different by $50.  Though the 760D is a newer model (in terms of release date).

In real world use, for a beginner, almost none of the differences compared matter.

4 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

-snip-

You've conveniently omitted my primary reasons for recommending the 70D- battery life and environmental sealing (to whatever extent; it's still better than nothing). For those two advantages alone, an additional investment of a measly $50 is well worth it - even to a beginner

Everything else I listed - for Christ's sake, you quoted me - pertains to faster bust rate, a better viewfinder (small difference), and a faster max shutter speed. I also referred to them as 'other bells and whistles'. Here, take another gander.

17 hours ago, Aereldor said:

other bells and whistles (faster burst rate, better viewfinder, faster max shutter speed).

I agree that everything you mentioned is a small difference, but battery life and environmental sealing (to some extent) are more than tangible, and a faster burst rate is still significant. I also said there was a slight disadvantage ('slight' in its full capacity, synonymous with 'minimal' or 'marginal') in colour depth and dynamic range, and in resolution, which would matter only if you need very large prints.  I never even mentioned the low-light ISO.

I would advise you to read what all of what you quote before you respond to it, rather than cherry-picking arguments. I stand by my case that the 70D is the better buy, even for a beginner.

@Wheeljack699 if you're not looking to shoot a lot of video, consider picking up a Nikon D3300 or D5300. I daresay they're better cameras than their Canon counterparts. The only reason I avoid them is the cheap and very noisy autofocus motors, which makes for an extremely annoying sound. This is amplified when using the internal microphone, but doesn't really go away when using an external mic either.

3 hours ago, Aereldor said:

You might want to go back and read one of my previous comments where I did mention that battery life and weather sealing are the significant points I'd consider.

Also, I'm not cherry picking.  I'm pointing out things that show these two cameras don't really have significant differences other than the fact that they are two different tiers of cameras.  The differences doesn't matter, even if someone needed to make large prints.

3 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You might want to go back and read one of my previous comments where I did mention that battery life and weather sealing are the significant points I'd consider.

Also, I'm not cherry picking.  I'm pointing out things that show these two cameras don't really have significant differences other than the fact that they are two different tiers of cameras.  The differences doesn't matter, even if someone needed to make large prints.

But you did quote me and basically repeat yourself, although it does occur to me now that you quoted the wrong post.

Out of curiosity, shouldn't 4 more megapixels give you more cropping freedom and the ability to produce larger prints with less pixellation? Furthermore, I think battery life and environmental sealings are enough to put one through to another 'tier', simply because of how Canon's product hierarchy seems to work. None of the * * * D or * * * * D cameras have environmental sealings or a battery life of more than 500 shots, while almost all of their * * D and * D series cameras do. 

Well, the other thing is that they're priced $50 apart, which puts them in the same price bracket, if not the same tier. And for $50 more, the 70D offers tangible, considerable advantages over the 760D. The only real advantage the 760D has is the NFC connection capability, which is more of a niche feature and only makes a difference to people who really want to pair their camera with their smartphone for social media purposes.

5 hours ago, Aereldor said:

OK let me just go over things one by one.

First of all, I do agree that the 70D is obviously a better camera than the 760D, in certain areas while in other areas the two are technically very similar.  The similarities, I believe, are due to the fact that the 70D is actually an older generation camera (2013- release while the 760D is a 2016 release model.  Without going into a lengthy explanation, let's just say that if we compare the 70D camera to a 650D or 700D (from similar release years) the 70D probably performs a lot better in more aspects.  The big difference in release years imply that some of the performance found in a camera of the 70D tier has trickled down to cameras of the 760D tier.  I also think the narrow $50 price gap is due to the fact that the 70D is actually an older release compared to the 760D, while if it were an 80D the price gap would be wider.

I'm gonna cut in here to explain the tiers a bit, using Nikon as a comparison.

Pro level Full Frame

Nikon D4/D5 = Canon 1D series (the Full Frame models)

Nikon D800/D810 = Canon 5D series

Entry into Full Frame

Nikon D610/D750 = Canon 6D series

Nikon has about 4 tiers of Full Frame cameras while Canon has only 3.

Enthusiast/Pro Cropped body

Nikon D300/D500 roughly around the same tier as Canon 7D, I would prefer to say its more like Nikon D7200 is equivalent to 7D, but it's really hard to make accurate comparisons.

Nikon D7200 is roughly the same tier as Canon 70D, 80D

Beginner/Entry level

Nikon D5#00 = Canon 500, 550, 600, 650, 700, 750, 760D tier

Nikon D3#00 = Canon 100D, 1100D, 1200D kind of tier

With Nikon, you start to see inclusion of weather sealing in the body starting at the tier of the D7#00.  The two lowest tiers are considered the entry level tiers that hardly get any weather sealing.

4MP doesn't really make that big of a difference when printing large prints.  Even 12MP from 10 years ago was more than enough to print billboard sized prints.

The battery life and weather sealing does indicate the tier of the camera, hence why I said that the 70D sits at a higher tier than the 760D.  I also did say that the 70D had more tangible features, I didn't disagree with you on that.  I was pointing out that on those comparison websites, they seem to give the 760D better points for some of the most insignificant differences and I worry that people will think that those tiny differences will make them better or worse photographers.  A lot of beginners think that by buying the camera with the best image quality (they related IQ to sensor performance) will automatically make them good photographers.  For me, image quality is not found in the performance of a sensor, it's found in the skill of the user.

On 11/27/2016 at 0:57 AM, AkiraDaarkst said:
  •  
  • Dynamic range difference: 12.0 vs 11.6, hardly noticeable.
  •  

I think 30% more DR is a lot

I'm probably a bit late on the discussion but I'd say go for the 70D. Both cameras have a touch screen which you can use to focus on points while recording video but iirc the 70D has a better live view focusing system than the 760D. For when you're starting out, having a more reliable and capable system is well worth the extra bit of cash. 

I just found out my 70D is weatherproof. Mind = blown 

I  love my 70D as I have a problem killing gear. I have had this thing since it came out and it is still kicking along without any massive issues. 

Just my few cents

Edit: fixing ma spelling

I'm afraid to swear now because the overlords might hurt me. 

16 hours ago, .spider. said:

I think 30% more DR is a lot

It seems someone failed to pay attention during elementary math classes.  12.0 is only 3% higher than 11.6.

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography

They're extremely close. Nikon generally has better control ergonomics on prosumer crop bodies (this matters a lot more than 4 megapixels at this level), but the Canon ones are really similar to each other. To be honest I'm not particularly impressed with consumer Canon bodies from an IQ standpoint (disclaimer: I only shoot stuff that stands still using only primes), they're entirely serviceable if you know what you're doing, but you're generally going to do better with other equipment.

You should also consider Nikons and possibly a Sony A6300. If you only care about image quality you're kinda in the price range of a first-gen A7 full frame mirrorless, but you're going to pay dearly for lenses thereafter. If you only care about image quality and are really brave the Sigma SD Quattro exists.

On 27/11/2016 at 1:28 PM, Aereldor said:

Out of curiosity, shouldn't 4 more megapixels give you more cropping freedom and the ability to produce larger prints with less pixellation?

It doesn't really matter. The actual increase in the linear size of the image is minimal and 20 megapixels is more than enough for most applications (it's also irrelevant because consumer crop bodies are not generally used with lenses that are good enough to offer significantly more detail at 24 rather than at 20 megapixels).

7 hours ago, AbrahamoLincolni said:

It seems someone failed to pay attention during elementary math classes.  12.0 is only 3% higher than 11.6.

You probably don't know that an EV is not linear it's power of two.

12EV DR is an ratio of 4096:1

11.6EV DR is an ratio of 3104:1

(4096/3104)*100=132%

15 hours ago, AbrahamoLincolni said:

He's probably saying that there is a 30% or so advantage in contrast ratio.  But comparing a camera that has a sensor already capable of capturing 11.6 stops (if it actually can capture that amount of DR at all in the first place) vs a camera capable of 12.0 stops is only 1/3 of a stop difference.  In practical sense, it's not a significant advantage.

Quoting a fellow photographer, one that works in the real world and not looks only at numbers and calculations:

Dynamic Range is NOT the whole story!!

Dynamic range is ONE aspect of image quality. Overall, image quality is produced by multiple factors. The image sensor is one of those factors, and dynamic range is only one factor of an image sensor...resolution, quantum efficiency, signal to noise ratio, etc. are other important factors of image sensors. In addition to image sensors, cameras also have AF systems (and within AF systems, you have total AF points, point layout, point spread, point selection modes, etc.), metering sensors, frame rates and buffer depths, body ergonomics, etc.

Photographers buy CAMERAS. We don't buy sensors. ;) If you are in the market to buy a camera, make sure you buy the camera that best suits your overall needs. Don't base your decision on one single factor out of a myriad of factors. Depending on the kind of things you photograph, you may need a high performance AF system and a fast frame rate more than you need anything else, including DR!

Research cameras, don't research sensors.

2 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

In practical sense, it's not a significant advantage.

I say there is a big advantage of 0.4 EV more DR

5 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

He's probably saying that there is a 30% or so advantage in contrast ratio.  But comparing a camera that has a sensor already capable of capturing 11.6 stops (if it actually can capture that amount of DR at all in the first place) vs a camera capable of 12.0 stops is only 1/3 of a stop difference.  In practical sense, it's not a significant advantage.

Quoting a fellow photographer, one that works in the real world and not looks only at numbers and calculations:

So he's using contrast ratios to claim the 30% advantage?  Oh boy.  Another one of those photography by numbers dorks.

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography

1 hour ago, AbrahamoLincolni said:

So he's using contrast ratios to claim the 30% advantage?  Oh boy.  Another one of those photography by numbers dorks.

Yes, and a 1/3rd difference is not going to effect what the photographer can do with the camera in the real world.  In real world shooting, you either encounter scenes with dynamic range less than what the camera can capture or way more.  And for the way more side of things, photographers have been using filters and exposure bracketing techniques for years.

The guy's so full of himself and only stuck up on that one small factor of the dynamic range difference of the cameras.  He doesn't mention anything about the difference in weather sealing or battery life between the two models where there is a significant difference.  Also, I mentioned it in a previous comment that the Canon 70D is actually an older model, released a few years before the Canon 760D which is a model released in 2016.  A better comparison would be a Canon 760D vs the Canon 80D where the 80D actually has significant advantages in more areas, including DR.

You'll find a lot of amateur photographers like him in other forums that talk about photography in this way.  In a way I feel sad about it, the very nature of digital photography being driven by technology is making a lot of talk about photography sound like it's a numbers game.  With film photography, no one talked about "sensor" because you can load any kind of film into your camera (as long as it's the appropriate size) and if you didn't like one film stock you can switch to another without having to change camera bodies.

In almost every way, I am very happy I grew up with film photography and waited a long time before moving to digital.

8 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

The guy's so full of himself and only stuck up on that one small factor of the dynamic range difference of the cameras.  He doesn't mention anything about the difference in weather sealing or battery life between the two models where there is a significant difference.

Why would I mention this? It was already mentioned!

I only focussed on DR because you made a statement about it that is totally wrong imo.

I think you are a bit allergic to numbers and and you think technical limitations don't apply to you maybe because you are a "professional freelancer" or something like that.