Fractal Design Nano S vs Mini C or other smaller cases

osuman
Go to solution Solved by Ryoku,
12 minutes ago, osuman said:

Thanks, but that's way out of my league. Was hoping to get something around $90-100 canadian

well you could get a EVGA Supernova G2, Corsair CX M (Black and grey lable, not to be mistaken for the older black and green CX models), Seasonic M12II.  They are good and in that price range.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007656 4027 4814 600029977 600315663 600553801 600037998 600037999 600038000

Hey guys, I'm really having problems choosing the case.

Few years ago I built a gaming rig for my friend with Fractal Design Define R4. The case was good but it was very quite big.

I'm building another gaming rig for myself this time and would like to build something smaller.

So far my choices are Nano S and Mini C. I understand that nano s is miniATX, while mini c is microATX. After factoring in the price for the mobos, these 2 end up having very similar price.

What should I go with? Or if you have any other case suggestions that are smaller and silent that would be great too.

Hey guys, I'm really having problems choosing the case.

Few years ago I built a gaming rig for my friend with Fractal Design Define R4. The case was good but it was very quite big.

I'm building another gaming rig for myself this time and would like to build something smaller.

So far my choices are Nano S and Mini C. I understand that nano s is miniATX, while mini c is microATX. After factoring in the price for the mobos, these 2 end up having very similar price.

What should I go with? Or if you have any other case suggestions that are smaller and silent that would be great too.

If you have a mini-ITX mobo, go for Nano S. No point going for a bigger case than your mobo imo. Vise versa for the Mini C

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

Just now, Apollo Refugio said:

If you have a mini-ITX mobo, go for Nano S. No point going for a bigger case than your mobo imo. Vise versa for the Mini C

That's the thing, I only have cpu (i5-6600k) right now, need to buy mobo and case but can't decide which combo to go with

Just now, osuman said:

That's the thing, I only have cpu (i5-6600k) right now, need to buy mobo and case but can't decide which combo to go with

Personally, I'd go for a micro-ATX. It has way better future support and for mini-ITX, once you use that PCIe slot, you are dead. But you could also reuse the mini C in a future build so that is an option. I'd just go for miniC and microatx board.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

9 minutes ago, Apollo Refugio said:

Personally, I'd go for a micro-ATX. It has way better future support and for mini-ITX, once you use that PCIe slot, you are dead. But you could also reuse the mini C in a future build so that is an option. I'd just go for miniC and microatx board.

Thanks! That's a good point. If pci-e dies it'd be worthless.

Btw do you know of any quiet PSUs? I remember buying evga supernova g1, which kept making chirping sounds.

4 minutes ago, osuman said:

Btw do you know of any quiet PSUs? I remember buying evga supernova g1, which kept making chirping sounds.

BeQuiet makes some bomb ass PSUs, not sure if they are worth it. Also Enermax makes some passsive PSUs

15 minutes ago, osuman said:

Corsair AX series are quiet too, I've never even heard mine over my case fans which on run at 600-800 rpm you can barely hear them.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

1 minute ago, Ryoku said:

Corsair AX series are quiet too, I've never even heard mine over my case fans which on run at 600-800 rpm you can barely hear them.

Thanks, but that's way out of my league. Was hoping to get something around $90-100 canadian

well you could get a EVGA Supernova G2, Corsair CX M (Black and grey lable, not to be mistaken for the older black and green CX models), Seasonic M12II.  They are good and in that price range.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007656 4027 4814 600029977 600315663 600553801 600037998 600037999 600038000

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump