Video editing pc advice

zakwak

Hi all, could you possibly have a look at this PC list and give me some advice? It's mainly made for using the Adobe suite at work. Note the prices are in AUD and AU$1600 is the limit. Is there any other GPU that would have the same performance but cheaper?

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/q8d

I would suggest not getting the mini size 1060, that one is made for smaller form factors so I'd suggest getting a dual fan one at least.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

2 hours ago, zakwak said:

@Trav_X  How come? It'll get plenty of air in that case anyway.

A dual fan gpu can run quieter and may allow for a higher gpu oc.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

looks good. kind of agree with @Trav_X and @brob comments about GPU. you could scrap that 1TB HDD though and replace with SSD. i have no experience with the E3-1231 but if you have extra budget, maybe you could get a i7-6700 (non-K or K) :)

15 hours ago, zakwak said:

@Trav_X  How come? It'll get plenty of air in that case anyway.

13 hours ago, brob said:

A dual fan gpu can run quieter and may allow for a higher gpu oc.

brob is correct, the dual fans allows you to keep the GPU cooler while running the fans at a low RPM than a single fan. As well, some of the ITX variants of GPUs may have a less built-up power delivery system or just less power phases in general cause they often shrink the PCB and have less room. Not sure if this is the case with this specific card, but it does happen.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

13 hours ago, BenoitWW said:

looks good. kind of agree with @Trav_X and @brob comments about GPU. you could scrap that 1TB HDD though and replace with SSD. i have no experience with the E3-1231 but if you have extra budget, maybe you could get a i7-6700 (non-K or K) :)

Agreed, if you have extra budget try to go Skylake if you can, but if not, instead of a 1231, maybe you could squeeze in a 4790k and a Z97 board to get the overclockability of Devil's canyon which is very good.

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

@Trav_X @brob thanks for the advice. I'll switch to a dual fan design 1060. For the CPU however, i'll stick with the Xeon due to its reliability and I will definitely not be doing any overclocking as this is a work machine. Also the 1231v3 has basically the same performance as a non-overclocked haswell i7 while at a lower price

I would highly recommend switching out the CPU, MOBO, and RAM. For your prices, you'd be much better off choosing the i7 6700K and some DDR4 RAM. The 6700K has a base frequency of 4.0 Ghz, and is overclockable down the road. At that $350-ish price point, Xeons aren't generally worth it unless you plan on running the rig 24/7. The 6700K uses newer DDR4 RAM, which is also much cheaper. You are being completely ripped off if you buy that DDR3 from that website. $145 is absolutely absurd for 16GB of DDR3; no matter which brand.

1 hour ago, zakwak said:

@Trav_X @brob thanks for the advice. I'll switch to a dual fan design 1060. For the CPU however, i'll stick with the Xeon due to its reliability and I will definitely not be doing any overclocking as this is a work machine. Also the 1231v3 has basically the same performance as a non-overclocked haswell i7 while at a lower price

Not sure where you got the impression that a Haswell Xeon cpu is more reliable than a Haswell i7. The cores are identical. The manufacturing processes are identical. The chip package of retail versions is identical. The only differences are a few sections of the cpu, most notably the memory controller and cache.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.