Ordered PS4, need game suggestions and FFXV thoughts

porina

In an early start to Black Friday, a PS4 1TB bundle swung it for me and I've ordered it. I believe next week FFXV is out so I'll get that as I've bought the first of each numbered solo game since VII. Eventually I'll be adding PSVR but I'm in no hurry as I've yet to get through all the stuff I bought on Vive anyway.

I'm out of the loop when it comes to PS4 gaming... any console exclusives people can recommend? What do I like? My reactions are shot so nothing like fps or similar. More into strategy, puzzle, JRPG I guess...

As a random thought, am I correct in thinking that FFXIII was the only solo FF game (series) on the PS3? On PS2 they released a bunch, and I can't remember before that. I had FFVII on PC, and think VIII through XII were on PS2. Now XV is on PS4... they slowing down much? Or relying on the in-series sequals?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I think you should have purchased the ps4 pro for PSVR as that delivers a modest performance improvement compared to the original ps4. as for just regular ol' games, the ps4 pro delivers a rather confusing performance metric

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

I think you should have purchased the ps4 pro for PSVR as that delivers a modest performance improvement compared to the original ps4. as for just regular ol' games, the ps4 pro delivers a rather confusing performance metric

As said I also have Vive and that will likely remain my main VR platform. It is just the exclusives that swing me to PSVR, like the Miku concert... but I'm not in a hurry. Given the stated intention that the standard PS4 will work with everything, I'm not convinced on the extra cost of a Pro especially since this wont be a major gaming platform for me, only something on the side for exclusives (including timed exclusives). Still, I'd look for more than two titles in the long run...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm getting ready to buy one myself for The Last of Us, the four Uncharted games, God of War 3, and then the 2017 exclusives (Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War 4) as well as Red Dead Redemption 2 (coming around Christmas 2017). The two God of War games from the PS2 were incredible so I'm definitely getting the third and fourth. Everyone I know who had a PS3/PS4 said I was nuts for not getting one for The Last of Us, which IGN nominated the game of the year for 2013 (and 2013 was an amazing year for gaming with GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Battlefield 4, and Metro Last Light in addition to The Last of Us). I'm a PC gamer but the Playstation exclusives are too good to pass up right now, especially with 60 fps remasters of so many of the great PS3 games I haven't played.

For the upcoming shit, check Sony's E3 presentation from this year: God of War 4, Days Gone, and Horizon Zero Dawn look like they're going to be great games.

4 hours ago, porina said:

As said I also have Vive and that will likely remain my main VR platform. It is just the exclusives that swing me to PSVR, like the Miku concert... but I'm not in a hurry. Given the stated intention that the standard PS4 will work with everything, I'm not convinced on the extra cost of a Pro especially since this wont be a major gaming platform for me, only something on the side for exclusives (including timed exclusives). Still, I'd look for more than two titles in the long run...

Yeah I'm passing on the Pro too. The Pro would cost me $210 more than the Slim to get a PS4 + Uncharted 4 + The Last of Us combo and I don't have a 4k TV to put it on. And yeah, PC is still my primary gaming platform and I'm not going to buy any multiplatform games for Playstation, so $210 extra for supersampling doesn't seem worth it on a 1080p screen.

10 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'm getting ready to buy one myself for The Last of Us, the four Uncharted games, God of War 3, and then the 2017 exclusives (Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War 4) as well as Red Dead Redemption 2 (coming around Christmas 2017). The two God of War games from the PS2 were incredible so I'm definitely getting the third and fourth. Everyone I know who had a PS3/PS4 said I was nuts for not getting one for The Last of Us, which IGN nominated the game of the year for 2013 (and 2013 was an amazing year for gaming with GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Battlefield 4, and Metro Last Light in addition to The Last of Us). I'm a PC gamer but the Playstation exclusives are too good to pass up right now, especially with 60 fps remasters of so many of the great PS3 games I haven't played.

I've got the free 1st part of The Last Of Us on Steam anyway, and not had time to check it out yet.

The rest of those games reads like a list of "not interested". I guess I should expand when I said I wasn't into fps, that would also include 3rd person shooters, or just any shooters. I just suck so bad at those it's better value just watching someone else play them on Youtube. I did that for Fallout 4... spent tens of hours watching someone else not suck like I would at it.

I do have GTA V on PC as an exception... It isn't the kinda game I could play, but it looks so nice I just like to explore the city!

10 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Yeah I'm passing on the Pro too. The Pro would cost me $210 more than the Slim to get a PS4 + Uncharted 4 + The Last of Us combo and I don't have a 4k TV to put it on. And yeah, PC is still my primary gaming platform and I'm not going to buy any multiplatform games for Playstation, so $210 extra for supersampling doesn't seem worth it on a 1080p screen.

I went for the Lego Star Wars bundle instead. There seem to be 3 different game bundles going around the UK at the moment, all with 1TB model and same price. I figure I might not suck at Lego series games if the demographic might be on the lower end.

I do have a 4k TV but the lag on it makes it unusable for gaming, so I'll most likely use a 1080p monitor instead.

20 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

How do you have a PlayStation exclusive on Steam?

You make me wonder what exactly it is I downloaded then... ok, figured it out, I have Life is Strange. Got the names mixed up in my head. Neither are my regular interest area anyway.

In other news, I have the PS4 Lego Star Wars bundle next to me... guess what I'll be doing tonight... Pokemon Moon :) so many games, so little time #firstworldproblems