Normal Internet usage create ping spikes in games (for the entire network)

Hi everybody,

I live with my brother and we have a 25 Mbit/s internet connection (25 up and 25 down with Bell Fibe) and the connection is almost always stable. My brother always plays CS:GO and every time I watch a YouTube video (at 720p, 60 fps when it's available), he always complain about his ping rising and lowering (from 40 ms to almost 150-200 ms). It does the same effect if I download something at 2 MB/s (limited to that so it doesn't block everything). I know it would be normal for a download, but for a video?

I want to know if this is normal or not, and if I can tweak my router setting so it can prioritize cs:go (I tried with QoS, but maybe I did it wrong). My router is a Asus RT-N66U and my brother and I use Windows 10 PCs, both connected with CAT-5e wire (so no wifi).

Thanks in advance for your answers!

My first thoughts are something like QoS/Packet Scheduling/Priority type issue, there will always be some amount of increase, but it shouldn't be as much as you've listed.

1 hour ago, crowy said:

My first thoughts are something like QoS/Packet Scheduling/Priority type issue, there will always be some amount of increase, but it shouldn't be as much as you've listed.

Thanks, I will check that out!