Selling old i5 4670k, do I need to reset BIOS?

Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,

BIOS is on the motherboard. If you want to reset the BIOS on the motherboard, just take out the battery for a moment and voila.

I'm selling my old i5 4670k with a mobo and ram, but I overclocked it and forgot to reset. The computer is completely pulled apart at the moment, my question is, do I need to reset it before selling or is it already reset because it's pulled apart?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

BIOS is on the motherboard. If you want to reset the BIOS on the motherboard, just take out the battery for a moment and voila.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Pull the CMOS battery, leave it out for a few days/put the jumper in the "clear cmos" position. No need for anything to be setup to do that. You can literally do it with a motherboard without anything connected to it. 

I would reset BIOS and CMOS.

They can cause incompatabilities if they want to swap out some parts

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

just the act of taking out the CPU resets the BIOS on a lot of boards.

When in doubt, re-format.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

No. OC settings are stored on the mobo BIOS and not in the processor itself.

Whoever gets your 4670K will have no idea if its ever been overclocked.

He very clearly said that he is selling the CPU and the motherboard together...

So yes, the BIOS does need to be reset. Taking the battery out and waiting for a bit will do the trick.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

last time i did that i broke the motherboard xD

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Pull the CMOS battery, leave it out for a few days/put the jumper in the "clear cmos" position. No need for anything to be setup to do that. You can literally do it with a motherboard without anything connected to it. 

So @corrado33 said that I need to leave it out for a while, is that true? It seems a bit strange to me that I have to leave it out for so long.

Just now, Bremykt said:

So @corrado33 said that I need to leave it out for a while, is that true? It seems a bit strange to me that I have to leave it out for so long.

just to be sure i'd leave it out for like an hour. but it should be fine in way less time. but better safe than sorry amirite?