kali linux?

i have a little old acer laptop and i was thinking of putting kali on it (for fun at home) would it work if i created a live "usb" on a hdd? 

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

You can put the live cd on to the HDD as a live cd instead of installing it. Don't install kali because its impossible to upgrade due to the servers are always down. its easier to just use a USB flash drive. boot a live linux off usb flash, then use dd to write the iso to the HDD if thats what you want to do

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

i have a little old acer laptop and i was thinking of putting kali on it (for fun at home) would it work if i created a live "usb" on a hdd? 

yea

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

15 minutes ago, PirateFish said:

You can use Live CD or USB - or run it in VirtualBox.

virtual machine is best. thats what i do

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

If its an old computer Kali in Virtual Box is not a good choice. You are way better off installing directly on disk

My rig:
CPU: i7 4790k @4.5ghz (1.165v) COOLER: Hyper 212 Evo  MOBO: Asus Maximus VI EXTREME   RAM: 8GB Kingston FURY @1866 Mhz   GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 DUAL SLI   PSU: Corsair HX750   CASE: NZXT Phantom 830 HDD: WD Black 3TB SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256Gb