Looking for an alternative for Norton

I have used for Norton premier going on 5 years now. I am starting to get fed up, it is overly expensive and slows down my computer quite a bit. Im now searching for alternatives to Norton, it can be paid or free, subscription or one payment. It does not matter. Any suggestion would be great, Thanks for the help Wayland

If you have windows 10 stick with windoes defender.

However my personal favoritrs before that time and for others is malawarebtyes and avg 

Im afraid to use windows defender and am unsure of others. Are they real time firewalls and as effective as Norton?

Avast free is plenty, you won't need anything more, paying for anti-virus generally only gets you mobile protection.

Fan of WIndows Defender here! Never have had a problem with it, as long one uses Common sense you won't have a problem. 

"Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey".... Yeah

-The Doctor

Just now, WillGerm said:

Fan of WIndows Defender here! Never have had a problem with it, as long one uses Common sense you won't have a problem. 

I can't reccomend enough. The damn thing is free. And from Windows. And free. Did I already say it was free?

Jokes aside, I'd aslo advise using Malwarebytes. Windows Defender can detect them, but from personal experience it is shit at getting rid of them properly.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Thought I would also chime in, lend support to the Avast! Free + Malwarebytes combo.

My family used to buy into Norton etc. but Avast! and Malwarebytes have always been fine for me. No problems since their use these last, say, 5-6 years.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780