Thoughts?

DaveKerk

Hi all,

With the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals coming up I was planning on getting a new laptop to replace my current one. I am currently looking at the ASUS GL502VT-DS71. It's on amazon for $999 US right now and I want opinions and if anyone has any other recommendations that could replace it. I am looking at this one because of the small size, the powerful processors, both GPU and CPU, and the cost is a little bit over what I intended to spend but I personally love ASUS and their products so I'll put up a little bit more money. I would prefer to keep the same specs and similar size but if anyone has a replacement recommendation I would love to hear it.

Thanks!!

2 minutes ago, DaveKerk said:

Hi all,

With the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals coming up I was planning on getting a new laptop to replace my current one. I am currently looking at the ASUS GL502VT-DS71. It's on amazon for $999 US right now and I want opinions and if anyone has any other recommendations that could replace it. I am looking at this one because of the small size, the powerful processors, both GPU and CPU, and the cost is a little bit over what I intended to spend but I personally love ASUS and their products so I'll put up a little bit more money. I would prefer to keep the same specs and similar size but if anyone has a replacement recommendation I would love to hear it.

Thanks!!

looks pretty good - i would go see the msi apache gaming laptops - onsale at massdrops and ebay rn

9 minutes ago, DaveKerk said:

I personally love ASUS and their products

ASUS is a great brand! I can back that :D

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

8 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

ASUS is a great brand! I can back that :D

Not really. This specific model is fine, but Asus laptops in general (excluding a few decent models like their UX501) are absolutely terrible. 0 reason to get them at all. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Just now, Pendragon said:

Not really. This specific model is fine, but Asus laptops in general (excluding a few decent models like their UX501) are absolutely terrible. 0 reason to get them at all. 

I have my different experiences that lead me to believe they are pretty good. I like them personally.

Just now, Pendragon said:

I'm not going to set any flames here, but my good friend has had an ASUS laptop for a long time and it's been great to her. I have an ASUS external DVD drive on my laptop, and it works great. I haven't had a single bad experience with them yet. :D

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Just now, DaveKerk said:

I have my different experiences that lead me to believe they are pretty good. I like them personally.

I ment that from an objective standpoint. Name any of their high end laptops and I can tell you one that is objectively better. Asus support globally in general is pretty bad with RMA times being one of the higher ones. I don't have personal bad experiences with Asus, but just read up on data indexes or other forums. Some of their models are fine (like the lower end ones), I'm not familiar with those. I'm talking about the models starting at $1000+, only other good model that comes to mind is their Y700 competitor, the GL552 I think. Their GL and G7 series are outclassed by all the competitors in every way. 

3 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I have an ASUS external DVD drive on my laptop, and it works great. I haven't had a single bad experience with them yet. :D

I like the Asus MBs and DVD drives. I'm talking about their laptops. Their QC in general is fine. 

Laptop Main

3 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

I ment that from an objective standpoint. Name any of their high end laptops and I can tell you one that is objectively better. Asus support globally in general is pretty bad with RMA times being one of the higher ones. I don't have personal bad experiences with Asus, but just read up on data indexes or other forums. Some of their models are fine (like the lower end ones), I'm not familiar with those. I'm talking about the models starting at $1000+, only other good model that comes to mind is their Y700 competitor, the GL552 I think. Their GL and G7 series are outclassed by all the competitors in every way. 

Then being objective, what would you recommend as a laptop?

43 minutes ago, DaveKerk said:

Then being objective, what would you recommend as a laptop?

I said the one you have selected currently is fine. GL502VT on Maxwell 970m is cooled properly. My issue is with the pascal ones. If you look at the heatsink design of the GL502 1060 edition it's the same as the one on the 970m. This is an issue because the 1060 while having a similar TDP to 970m, is alot denser. The heat generated is alot harder to dissipate. Hence the 1060 and 1070 versions of the GL502 are really really hot. Adding on addition problems to the Pascal and 980m versions is the inclusion of a GSync screen without providing a MUX switch. The 970m version is the ONLY GL model that is without a GSync screen. This allows the iGPU to run during non intensive task allowing this laptop to have a battery life of 6 hours. Compare that to the 980m or pascal version with only 2-3 hours of battery life. 

At that price, it's also pretty decent. Only thing I would say to check out is the old Alienwares on Dell Outlet. With Black Friday coming and those things dropping prices like a rock due to the new one's being released, you might find a 980m in a AW15R2 for similar prices. 

Laptop Main

22 hours ago, Pendragon said:

I said the one you have selected currently is fine. GL502VT on Maxwell 970m is cooled properly. My issue is with the pascal ones. If you look at the heatsink design of the GL502 1060 edition it's the same as the one on the 970m. This is an issue because the 1060 while having a similar TDP to 970m, is alot denser. The heat generated is alot harder to dissipate. Hence the 1060 and 1070 versions of the GL502 are really really hot. Adding on addition problems to the Pascal and 980m versions is the inclusion of a GSync screen without providing a MUX switch. The 970m version is the ONLY GL model that is without a GSync screen. This allows the iGPU to run during non intensive task allowing this laptop to have a battery life of 6 hours. Compare that to the 980m or pascal version with only 2-3 hours of battery life. 

At that price, it's also pretty decent. Only thing I would say to check out is the old Alienwares on Dell Outlet. With Black Friday coming and those things dropping prices like a rock due to the new one's being released, you might find a 980m in a AW15R2 for similar prices. 

I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the little lesson (I mean that sincerely).