Camera for HQ youtube vlog-like project

Go to solution Solved by CaptainSi,

Canon EOS 7D with a nice lens, I know nothing about lenses and what works best with your situation, but this is the camera many television shows are shot with and almost every youtuber uses.

I think you're thinking of Canon's 5D man, and they're worlds apart from the 7D. 7D is pretty junky compared with its price point competitors.

OP, I think Sony's a65 is the best option for you at this pricepoint. You're talking about the "Agent Smith" thing, and I think you're referring to the rolling shutter issue which plagues DSLRs. It's an issue that gets exponentially worse on smaller sensors, however is particularly bad on Canon and Nikon dSLRs.  Sony don't actually make dSLRs, they make dSLTs, which due to higher allowed framerates and shutter speeds basically eradicate the issue completely.

The 18-55 kit lets is an okay way to start. Some things to google are softboxes with diffusers (for lightning) and don't forget your spare batteries, memory cards, etc. There are already probably 50 posts like this on LTT forum, so use the search feature, most of your questions have probably been answered.

Hi all,

I'm starting a youtube passion project. For the purpose of this post, please think of it as of a High Quality Vlog - home environment, object of focus being a single person sitting fairly close to the recorder.

I'm looking for a video recording device, capable of a decent looking 1080p, able to handle simple motion (so the image wouldn't go Agent Smith on me when I make gestures with my hands), with ok low-light handling and, most importantly, with output that doesn't require too much post-prod (if any) - so devices like Black Magic Pocket Camera are, unfortunately, off limits.

I'm not interested in it recording the audio - it will be handled separately, for which my sweet EV RE20 & Motu Track 16 are ready to go.

I'd be glad to fit those requirements in about 1000 euros, lenses and whatever you find necessary included.

As a side note, I'd be very thankful if you could also suggest some basic ligthting - I was thinking about 2 very low end pseudo-studio-like whatnots with the umbrella-like thingies. Whenever I'm trying to find something reasonable google is shuffing some 500W+ stars-on-a-stick into my face

Please excuse my ignorance in image recording, but I was always a computer hardware/audio person, and did not ever need any knowledge in those TV-like areas up to this point.

If you could help me find some decent equipment I'd be very thankful :)

Jasmin

Canon EOS 7D with a nice lens, I know nothing about lenses and what works best with your situation, but this is the camera many television shows are shot with and almost every youtuber uses.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

your going to spend that much on a camera and you haven't even started yet? it might be years to you get any kind of following, if you do at all.

hello

Looking at Canon EOS 7D it starts me around 2000 euros with most basic lens, which is a bit much :/ Unless you meant 700D ?

your going to spend that much on a camera and you haven't even started yet? it might be years to you get any kind of following, if you do at all.

That's not the point :) As I said, it's a passion project, also I'm a perfectionist - if 10 people watch what I have to say I will give them the best quality I can afford. I understand when a channel was started by someone with very little spare cash and it grew into a large project so the quality went from 1 to 1000, but given the  chance I'd like to avoid starting with 360p quality and then redoing all of my videos at certain point, just because I had the chance to change equipment.

Looking at Canon EOS 7D it starts me around 2000 euros with most basic lens, which is a bit much :/ Unless you meant 700D ?

That's not the point :) As I said, it's a passion project, also I'm a perfectionist - if 10 people watch what I have to say I will give them the best quality I can afford. I understand when a channel was started by someone with very little spare cash and it grew into a large project so the quality went from 1 to 1000, but given the  chance I'd like to avoid starting with 360p quality and then redoing all of my videos at certain point, just because I had the chance to change equipment.

For now why don't you get a high end webcam then? Lots of fairly big 'Youtubers' use webcams and things look great. Then later down the line when you make a little money off of it or really feel you need a better camera you can do just that :)

Edit: You could get something like a Blue Snowball or even a Yeti too.

hello

For now why don't you get a high end webcam then? Lots of fairly big 'Youtubers' use webcams and things look great. Then later down the line when you make a little money off of it or really feel you need a better camera you can do just that :)

Edit: You could get something like a Blue Snowball or even a Yeti.

Logitech c920 HD is what i own for skype and the quality is rather bad. I'm not aware of any better webcams out there. Let's stick to the topic. About 1000 euros, video recording device with necessary equipement for it.

As I said, I'm not interested in audio at this point - EV RE20 is looming over my desk, however uneasy it might make you feel. It is amazing.

I think you're thinking of Canon's 5D man, and they're worlds apart from the 7D. 7D is pretty junky compared with its price point competitors.

OP, I think Sony's a65 is the best option for you at this pricepoint. You're talking about the "Agent Smith" thing, and I think you're referring to the rolling shutter issue which plagues DSLRs. It's an issue that gets exponentially worse on smaller sensors, however is particularly bad on Canon and Nikon dSLRs.  Sony don't actually make dSLRs, they make dSLTs, which due to higher allowed framerates and shutter speeds basically eradicate the issue completely.

The 18-55 kit lets is an okay way to start. Some things to google are softboxes with diffusers (for lightning) and don't forget your spare batteries, memory cards, etc. There are already probably 50 posts like this on LTT forum, so use the search feature, most of your questions have probably been answered.

Go with the 70d and put some serious kickass glass in front of that puppy 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Hey cptSi,

Rest assured that I've run a solid search before posting, my ignorance has just led me to suppose that my set up might be a little different, than one provided in previous posts.

Thanks for the help, really appreciated!

70D or used 5D Mark ii. I don't like Canon's shits when it comes to their DSLRs but for video I think they're as good as it gets (plus the lenses are really good)... Have a look at Nikon's as well if you're interested. Sony's "dslr" (as they're actually NOT dslr) cameras have some consistent thing with the sensor where the video is wayy more biased towards green. See a comparison video and you'll instantly know what I mean.