1060 doa? broken?

Hey guys,

so I bought a new mainboard (ASUS H81-GAMER) and a new graphics card (ASUS nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 non-OC) and

I ran into some issue that I can't solve on my own.. When I tried to install the graphics driver for the GPU it worked but after the restart

and after the bootup [the four thingies that touch while Windows 7 is booting xD] I got a blackscreen instead of the log in screen.

after that it actually booted but only the background can be seen. I cannot see either the icons, nor the taskbar or mouse..

I can, however, use the pc like normally.. whilst I can only see the background; I thought it was the explorer.exe and thus

I opened up the command prompt, taskkilled it and restarted it. It made the usual sound but nothing changed.

Trying Ctrl + Alt + Del results into a blackscreen from which I can return to the background picture with Esc.

At first I thought this was a driver problem but trying out an old driver that wasn't able to find a nVidia Card made me think that this is probably

a hardware issue and that this card was delivered damaged.

I hope you guys can help me,

thanks in advance~ :D

5 minutes ago, DerBobbler said:

Hey guys,

so I bought a new mainboard (ASUS H81-GAMER) and a new graphics card (ASUS nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 non-OC) and

I ran into some issue that I can't solve on my own.. When I tried to install the graphics driver for the GPU it worked but after the restart

and after the bootup [the four thingies that touch while Windows 7 is booting xD] I got a blackscreen instead of the log in screen.

after that it actually booted but only the background can be seen. I cannot see either the icons, nor the taskbar or mouse..

I can, however, use the pc like normally.. whilst I can only see the background; I thought it was the explorer.exe and thus

I opened up the command prompt, taskkilled it and restarted it. It made the usual sound but nothing changed.

Trying Ctrl + Alt + Del results into a blackscreen from which I can return to the background picture with Esc.

At first I thought this was a driver problem but trying out an old driver that wasn't able to find a nVidia Card made me think that this is probably

It's working probably. You need windows 10, and a new enough version, in order to use pascal cards.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

6 minutes ago, DerBobbler said:

Hey guys,

Fresh windows install?

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

You need windows 10

You sure about that o: Why does nVidia offer Windows 7 Drivers then s:

If you can see your desktop background with no image distortions/artifacts  then your GPU is not DOA. 

Looks like your driver could be crashing explorer.exe on booting into Windows.

Try booting into safemode and remove your existing driver using DDU and reinstall the driver again

Just now, DerBobbler said:

You sure about that o: Why does nVidia offer Windows 7 Drivers then s:

Yes, I am sure. I have been through this before upgrading a friends PC. I'm not Nvidia, so I can't explain.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, C2dan88 said:

If you can see your desktop background with no image distortions/artifacts  then your GPU is not DOA. 

Looks like your driver could be crashing explorer.exe on booting into Windows.

Try booting into safemode and remove your existing driver using DDU and reinstall the driver again

I did that several times. I even tried reloading explorer.exe via command prompt but it still didn't show anything at all D:

Just now, C2dan88 said:

So safe mode doesn't work either?

It works and I can see everything but I mean that I reinstalled the driver several times, trying out other or older drivers (using DDU)

1 hour ago, C2dan88 said:

Seems Windows is borked. Time for a fresh install.

Gonna try installing Windows 10 now.. but still not sure if this is going to fix this problem though lol

26 minutes ago, DerBobbler said:

Gonna try installing Windows 10 now.. but still not sure if this is going to fix this problem though lol

It'll need to be a recent enough version. Anniversary definitely supports it.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, NinjaJc01 said:

It's working probably. You need windows 10, and a new enough version, in order to use pascal cards.

No you don't i'm on Win 7 pro 64 bit with a stix 1070 working since day zero.