First i5 build - appreciate your advice on components

Hi all,

This will be my first home build PC. I'm looking to build something that will last for years, to be used primarily for gaming + the usual (internet, watching video's etc.).
Basically, since this is my first build, i'd appreciate it very much if you can have a look over my parts list. See if there is anything I am wasting money on that I don't need, or anything you would recommend in place of the parts I have selected. I like good value, but never at the expense of quality, but I also don't like paying premium prices for a 0.5% increase in performance or something. 
I'm not familiar will all the brands and technical aspects of the parts, so i've been doing a lot of reading up over the last couple weeks, and I think i've come up with a decent system that will hopefully let me overclock in the future, but not extreme like multiple GPU's etc.
I've gone for a setup that will allow me to wade in at the shallow end of overclocking in the future - once i've done my research.

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/ssGyVY

Regarding the individual Selections:

CPU: i5-6600K. I'm not going to be doing much in the way of video editing or anything like that, so the i7-6700K seems unneccesary - If later I find I need that, I could always upgrade with the next gen i7.

CPU Cooler: This is probably the part I am most unsure of. Have put the Dark Rock Pro 3 in there for the moment. Other options would be the Cryorig H7 or Noctua NH-D14, or even the popular Hyper 212 Evo. However, I want to keep my options open on a moderate overclock for the system, so not sure if the 212 Evo will cut it or not? Am I wasting money if I go for the Dark Rock or Noctua? I've since been advised that the 212 Evo and H7 cool a moderately overclocked rig perfectly well, so then I would opt for the H7 in this build.

Motherboard: Asus's Z170-A seems like a pretty good board for a nice price. Plus I like the look :) 

GPU: EVGA's GTX 1070 SC version. I'm pretty set on the 1070 really, so its just a matter of brand and version here. 

PSU: Options i've looked at here are the EVGA supernova (g2/p2/t2) 650w or the SeaSonic Prime 650w (titanium). Not sure if there is a certain brand better regarded. 

Case: If you have any recommendations for a nice case, please let me know. But honestly, I'm pretty in love with the look of the Dark Base Pro 900... If you have recommendations, primarily it should be good for air cooling, and have 2 5.25" bays available. May need to consider some additional case fans in future.

RAM: I've put the Corsair vengence LPX in there for now, but honestly I don't really know which brand is best. From what i've been reading the LPX seems pretty good for the price. 2666 an unnecessary frequency perhaps? Should I go with 2400 or lower? 
As I understand it from reading up, the CPU will limit it to 2133 anyway, unless I enable something called the XMP profile in the bios. Since this would technically be an overclock, will I see any issues with the RAM heating up much if I do this?
16GB may be a bit much perhaps, but if I get 8gb now and need to upgrade later it will cost me more so...

Appreciate you taking the time to read thru this and voice your opinion. 

Overall, it's a good build.

You picked a good CPU

a good Cooler(better/aka. much larger than the 212evo)

a good motherboard

a good memory choice, XMP memory profiles are easy to use and faster memory is better if the choice is available, don't worry about ram overheating issues.

EVGA is my recommendation for GPU

The PSU is good, titanium rated, EVGA supernova P2/T2 are great options also

the case is good but it is a full tower(large) I personally like midtower cases for a more rational footprint/size such as: Fractal Design R5: here

I would recommend going with a NVME based SSD for the serious performance increase over the SATA based drives.

For example here is a good value/performance NVME SSD: here

I pulled that recommendation from a very new Tom's Hardware SSD review: here

Update: be sure not to just rely solely on pc part picker: scan a few websites to get the best price on whatever part you pick: ex. Newegg, NCIX, Amazon, Microcenter, ect.

Gimme a sec, build incoming. Some of your parts are overpriced as hell (case) and an optical drive is unnecessary. 

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Four hundred dollars for a case?

New Zealand $

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

If you're not video editing there really is no reason to go for an NVME drive, they make little to no practical difference

If you're not interested in a PCI-e based SSD that's way faster for a reasonable price that's your decision. But... if you're building a high performance PC like this, the extra $ input is well worth it. Why would you want to limit yourself to a SATA interface designed for HDD speeds when the drives we have now are so much faster than SATA allows.

PCPartPicker part list: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/kC2HRG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/kC2HRG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($493.34 @ PB Technologies) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 EX 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($160.99 @ PB Technologies) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($274.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($159.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($244.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($78.00 @ DTC Systems) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($754.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.00 @ DTC Systems) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($177.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Total: $2489.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-17 12:59 NZDT+1300

No offense... but this build is worlds better than yours.

6700K. STRIX 1070 (best looking and cooling with RGB).  DOPE LOOKING CPU WATER COOLER. Sick black and red theme. 850 Evo. Nice, not overpriced PSU. S340. All at basically the same price as that 6600K w/ overpriced air cooler, case, and PSU. Plus no theme.

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

32 minutes ago, Panopticon_81 said:

RAM: I've put the Corsair vengence LPX in there for now, but honestly I don't really know which brand is best. From what i've been reading the LPX seems pretty good for the price. 2666 an unnecessary frequency perhaps? Should I go with 2400 or lower? 
As I understand it from reading up, the CPU will limit it to 2133 anyway, unless I enable something called the XMP profile in the bios. Since this would technically be an overclock, will I see any issues with the RAM heating up much if I do this?
16GB may be a bit much perhaps, but if I get 8gb now and need to upgrade later it will cost me more so...

Appreciate you taking the time to read thru this and voice your opinion. 

I do recommend going with a higher speed RAM, WITHIN REASON it can make a difference in your gaming performance.

DF did a very nice informational video showcasing what memory speed can do for you: Here

54 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Gimme a sec, build incoming. Some of your parts are overpriced as hell (case) and an optical drive is unnecessary. 

Since my link was on the NZ site of partpicker, you probably also saw the values in NZD, not USD so may look more expensive. I won't be relying on partpicker for the pricing as for many parts I can see they are not including all retailers. I'm finding a lot of cheaper parts by using pricespy.co.nz to search more retailers. However partpicker is still great for assembling the whole build in 1 place :)

I may even look if it is worth using amazon of newegg instead of NZ sites, except probably the case itself as the shipping cost is a killer!

I still use optical drive frequently :)

58 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Overall, it's a good build.

You picked a good CPU

a good Cooler(better/aka. much larger than the 212evo)

a good motherboard

a good memory choice, XMP memory profiles are easy to use and faster memory is better if the choice is available, don't worry about ram overheating issues.

EVGA is my recommendation for GPU

The PSU is good, titanium rated, EVGA supernova P2/T2 are great options also

the case is good but it is a full tower(large) I personally like midtower cases for a more rational footprint/size such as: Fractal Design R5: here

I would recommend going with a NVME based SSD for the serious performance increase over the SATA based drives.

For example here is a good value/performance NVME SSD: here

I pulled that recommendation from a very new Tom's Hardware SSD review: here

Update: be sure not to just rely solely on pc part picker: scan a few websites to get the best price on whatever part you pick: ex. Newegg, NCIX, Amazon, Microcenter, ect.

Thanks for the advice mate. 

Yes as I mentioned in another reply, i'm shopping around for the best prices :) Should be a fair bit cheaper than what it shows on my partpicker list.

The SSD i actually already have in my current computer, so will likely hang on to that and replace it with a cheaper, smaller unit. I just had it in partpicker as a placeholder. 

Yea, I know the case will be big (though not as big as some out there!) - but I really like the look of it - Its expensive I know lol. I looked at the R5, and see it is popular, but sorry I just don't like the look of it that much :/ - its a subjective thing after all. also, no 5.25" bays on that one. 

1 hour ago, Maxxtraxx said:

If you're not interested in a PCI-e based SSD that's way faster for a reasonable price that's your decision. But... if you're building a high performance PC like this, the extra $ input is well worth it. Why would you want to limit yourself to a SATA interface designed for HDD speeds when the drives we have now are so much faster than SATA allows.

Ok I will consider it. Thanks.

Just for those mentioning the pricing, a couple of things: 

1. Yes the prices are in NZD (1 NZD = approx. 0.70c USD at the moment). So take that into account.
  2. NZ Parts ARE more expensive regardless :( But ordering out of the states will hit me with shipping/handling/import charges anyway so small savings wouldn't be worth it.
  3. The list included is NOT the best price for any of the parts - I will be using pricespy and shopping around :)

5 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Still.... a 300 USD case?

34 minutes ago, Panopticon_81 said:

Yea, I know the case will be big (though not as big as some out there!) - but I really like the look of it - Its expensive I know lol. I looked at the R5, and see it is popular, but sorry I just don't like the look of it that much :/ - its a subjective thing after all. also, no 5.25" bays on that one. 

http://www.newegg.com/global/nz/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA68V3X46788&cm_re=bequiet_case-_-9SIA68V3X46788-_-Product

Cheaper, similar looks, but no window :C

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

1 hour ago, Shiv78 said:

Fair enough - I had thought about the 600 (there is a windowed version also).

For now, it seems only 1 place in NZ has these cases - mightyape.co.nz

Silent Base 600 (with window) = NZD 204 incl. shipping.

Dark Base Pro 900 = NZD 384 incl. shipping.

Anyway - i'll have a careful think about it :) they aren't going anywhere fast

2 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

it's already fixed

:S hopefully the ones in NZ are the updated versions lol...

Everything is fine, but you could go for a cheaper case if you want, and your PSU is WAYY overkill. titanium??? gold is just fine. also i wouldnt get the dark rock, but if silence is something you want, go ahead. the H7 is good

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

4 hours ago, Apollo Refugio said:

Everything is fine, but you could go for a cheaper case if you want, and your PSU is WAYY overkill. titanium??? gold is just fine. also i wouldnt get the dark rock, but if silence is something you want, go ahead. the H7 is good

Ok thanks, good to know.

Yes someone else told me they use the H7 and its perfectly fine for keeping things cool, so I do think i'll go that way.

EVGA G2 for the PSU was one of the options I had considered. 

Case...... eh, its a personal choice lol :P I'm trying to convince myself not to get that one but i'm not being 100% successful.

9 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

it's already fixed

How has it been 'fixed' ?

22 hours ago, Panopticon_81 said:

Thanks for the advice mate. 

Yes as I mentioned in another reply, i'm shopping around for the best prices :) Should be a fair bit cheaper than what it shows on my partpicker list.

The SSD i actually already have in my current computer, so will likely hang on to that and replace it with a cheaper, smaller unit. I just had it in partpicker as a placeholder. 

I assumed that was possibly the case with the SSD, I have the R5 myself, it does have two 5.25 bays behind the front panel door. There is a large selection of atx mid tower cases out there, some of the NZXT cases are quite good looking with attractive color combinations and may be appealing to you.

For example, the Be Quiet! Silent Base 600: see HERE

11 hours ago, Maxxtraxx said:

I assumed that was possibly the case with the SSD, I have the R5 myself, it does have two 5.25 bays behind the front panel door. There is a large selection of atx mid tower cases out there, some of the NZXT cases are quite good looking with attractive color combinations and may be appealing to you.

For example, the Be Quiet! Silent Base 600: see HERE

You are right! I think I was thinking of the NZXT H440, kinda looks similar to the R5 but doesn't have the 5.25" bays. One thing that turned me off about the R5 was the front of it looked like there wouldn't be much air cooling intake but after watching a video review of it I see I was wrong there.

The R5 looking a lot more attractive option now. With the R5, would you advise getting a fan controller? How about the stock fans, they are ok or advise upgrading?

The included fans are certainly acceptable but not of the highest quality I still use them as intake fans in the front, they're quiet at low speeds and look good with the black and white scheme, I don't prefer using a fan controller myself, instead I use the motherboard fan headers and the BIOS to apply fan curves based upon temperature in the system however if you prefer a fan controller you can go that route as well.

Don't quote me on this but there is a switch behind the front panel that may possibly be a 2 setting fan speed controller but I've never used it or even looked at it closely.

If I get the R5 case, I was thinking of using the pre-installed exhaust fan only, since they have the black/white theme going for them, and put a couple of noctua's on the front intake (I think it can take 2 x 140mm). The pre-installed front fan I could then move to the bottom intake in front of the PSU. 

From what I am reading, if you plug the fans into the fan controller board in the R5 case (max 3) then yes you can use the slider as you mentioned to adjust the fan speed. But I'm guessing your way of using the motherboard to set up some kind of profile is a lot better. I may look up some tutorial on how to do this at a later point ;)

I've also been looking at the H440 from NZXT - I actually quite like the aesthetics of that case. Enough so I may get over it not having any optical drive bays available. It definitely looks better than the R5 on the outside (for my personal taste anyway).

Phanteks Evolv ATX is really beautiful (both versions), although the price certainly is higher :o