Can anyone recommend a camera?

c_marriott

I'm taking Media studies at A-level and I'm wanting to get a camera that is capable of 1080p recording, decent low-light photography and is generally decent quality. I'm only a student so the cheaper the better.

I'm also thinking that a compact camera (I'm currently thinking of the Sony HX60V) would be best as I have access to bigger and better cameras at school but just want something I can pull out and use quickly if needs be

Any recommendations would be appreciated

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

17 years old, PC Enthusiast for 3. Be gentle with me, I'm only young.

8 minutes ago, c_marriott said:

I'm taking Media studies at A-level and I'm wanting to get a camera that is capable of 1080p recording, decent low-light photography and is generally decent quality. I'm only a student so the cheaper the better.

I'm also thinking that a compact camera (I'm currently thinking of the Sony HX60V) would be best as I have access to bigger and better cameras at school but just want something I can pull out and use quickly if needs be

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Why not buy a decent camcorder?  What's your budget?

Media studies, I used to teach that course part time when I lived in Oxford.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Why not buy a decent camcorder?  What's your budget?

Media studies, I used to teach that course part time when I lived in Oxford.

I also like a bit of photography for the print work so I thought it'd be best to get one that can do both. No more than £200 if possible, I'm aware this isn't a lot so I'm open to any suggestions 

CPU: FX-6300 GPU: Sapphire R9 380X MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB PSU: XFX XTR 550W CASE: Zalman Z11 Plus SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

6 minutes ago, c_marriott said:

I also like a bit of photography for the print work so I thought it'd be best to get one that can do both. No more than £200 if possible, I'm aware this isn't a lot so I'm open to any suggestions 

Oh OK.  Then firstly, have you looked in the second hand market. Check out cameras like Nikon D3200, D3300, or Sony A5000, A6000, or Canon 600D or better.  The models I just mentioned are examples of DSLR and Mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lens systems.

In the compact camera area (where the lens is already fixed and you cannot change it for another lens), Sony RX100 mark whatever is available, Canon G7 or something like them that have 1" sensors?

With any of the above cameras or anything similar to what I have mentioned you will also need (and I highly recommend it) some external audio recording accessory (such as a microphone that can be mounted on the camera's flash shoe and plugged into the mic port on the camera, or an external audio recorder like the Zoom H1 that has a mic built in) because the built in mics on those cameras are all going to be pretty bad.  Even mics on $6000 DSLRs are bad.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Well crap, I was about to recommend the Sony a7, but that's like 10x your budget. Maybe a used Canon t3i? 

ASU

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Oh OK.  Then firstly, have you looked in the second hand market. Check out cameras like Nikon D3200, D3300, or Sony A5000, A6000, or Canon 600D or better.  The models I just mentioned are examples of DSLR and Mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lens systems.

In the compact camera area (where the lens is already fixed and you cannot change it for another lens), Sony RX100 mark whatever is available, Canon G7 or something like them that have 1" sensors?

With any of the above cameras or anything similar to what I have mentioned you will also need (and I highly recommend it) some external recording accessory (such as a microphone that can be mounted on the camera's flash shoe and plugged into the mic port on the camera, or an external audio recorder like the Zoom H1 that has a mic built in) because the built in mics on those cameras are all going to be pretty bad.  Even mics on $6000 DSLRs are bad.

I did like the look of the A5000 but it was a bit pricey, maybe I should check out eBay for a second hand one like you said..

I thought the microphone wouldn't be great but as I said, I have access to other equipment from the school, this is more just a emergency situation camera when something happens I can't wait to record etc.

Appreciate the suggestions, I'll definitely give them all a look and find out which one I think looks best for me!

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Well crap, I was about to recommend the Sony a7, but that's like 10x your budget. Maybe a used Canon t3i? 

I'll give it a look, I'm a slight Sony fanboy but Canon is the next best for me

1 hour ago, c_marriott said:

I did like the look of the A5000 but it was a bit pricey, maybe I should check out eBay for a second hand one like you said..

I thought the microphone wouldn't be great but as I said, I have access to other equipment from the school, this is more just a emergency situation camera when something happens I can't wait to record etc.

Appreciate the suggestions, I'll definitely give them all a look and find out which one I think looks best for me!

The A5000 is around 200 on the used market. Often in quite good condition. I whish they went for more though as I have been looking into selling mine and buying a new lens instead..hehe

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

16 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

The A5000 is around 200 on the used market. Often in quite good condition. I whish they went for more though as I have been looking into selling mine and buying a new lens instead..hehe

I found one for £215 on Sony's refurbished site, seems pretty good for the price

2 minutes ago, c_marriott said:

I found one for £215 on Sony's refurbished site, seems pretty good for the price

It's a pretty decent camera. The lowlight abilities are not amazing I wouldn't push the ISO much higher than 1000 unless really needed. Also AF is not that fast but its manageble. One of the main things I dislike is the screen that is not particulary good but it will of course work. For 200 its a good start in the mirrorless market (With APS-C sensor size) with the ability to invest in good E mount glass from either Sony, Sigma or Zeiss. Samyang has several good lenses too for good price. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

41 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

It's a pretty decent camera. The lowlight abilities are not amazing I wouldn't push the ISO much higher than 1000 unless really needed. Also AF is not that fast but its manageble. One of the main things I dislike is the screen that is not particulary good but it will of course work. For 200 its a good start in the mirrorless market (With APS-C sensor size) with the ability to invest in good E mount glass from either Sony, Sigma or Zeiss. Samyang has several good lenses too for good price. 

As I said its not for anything special, just a quick point and shoot. More of an upgrade on my phones camera. Think the A5000 will be the way forward!

1 hour ago, c_marriott said:

As I said its not for anything special, just a quick point and shoot. More of an upgrade on my phones camera. Think the A5000 will be the way forward!

The A5000 is entirely capable of professional results when adequate lenses are used.

1 hour ago, frostburg said:

The A5000 is entirely capable of professional results when adequate lenses are used.

Yep.  Technically almost any camera is capable of professional looking results within the scope if its hardware capabilities.  It all depends on the bag of flesh that's operating the camera.