M.2 SSD for OS instead of SSD

Dubesta11

I was wondering how much faster it would be to get an M.2 and use that as my windows install drive instead of my SSDs. And would it be possible to add this M.2 to this motherboard and still be able to connect 3 hard drives?

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Yes that mb has a M.2 slot.

yes it would be much faster than the normal SSD.

and you can still use the other 3 hard drives.

You wouldnt notice much of a difference. m.2's are a waste of money unless you are constantly transferring massive files

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

5 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

You wouldn't notice much of a difference. m.2's are a waste of money unless you are constantly transferring massive files

Fair enough. I was just wondering if windows would boot/load even faster.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Just now, Dubesta11 said:

MAybe like half a second? Its not noticable like HDD vs SSD

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

29 minutes ago, Mello said:

Yes that mb has a M.2 slot.

yes it would be much faster than the normal SSD.

and you can still use the other 3 hard drives.

27 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

You wouldnt notice much of a difference. m.2's are a waste of money unless you are constantly transferring massive files

Wrong. You're both wrong. M.2 is just a form-factor. You can have an exactly the same 2,5" SSD in the M.2 version with exactly same write/read speeds etc. Those M.2 drives that use PCI-E x2/x4 bandwidth for their data transfer are the fast and expensive ones. However there's many M.2 SSDs that use the SATA III interface and bandwidth and cost pretty much the same, I own one. It's the M.2 version of the ADATA SP550 240GB, I chose it over a regular 2,5" drive cause I had a free M.2 slot anyway and there's only one 2,5" drive slot left in my case after I installed my Samsung 850 EVO SSD in the other slot.

EDIT: as for OP, boot times seem unaffected from your SSD speed. A shitty Kingston V300 boots the system in about the same time as a fast 850 EVO drive despite being significantly slower.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

40 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

MAybe like half a second? Its not noticable like HDD vs SSD

So is it not worth it to get the new 960 M.2 drives? 250GB for 130 M.2 isn't that bad IMO but I'll go for one of those SK Hynix ones if it dosen't really make a difference.

6 hours ago, Oberon.Smite said:

So is it not worth it to get the new 960 M.2 drives? 250GB for 130 M.2 isn't that bad IMO but I'll go for one of those SK Hynix ones if it dosen't really make a difference.

No its not at all.

7 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Wrong. You're both wrong. M.2 is just a form-factor. You can have an exactly the same 2,5" SSD in the M.2 version with exactly same write/read speeds etc. Those M.2 drives that use PCI-E x2/x4 bandwidth for their data transfer are the fast and expensive ones. However there's many M.2 SSDs that use the SATA III interface and bandwidth and cost pretty much the same, I own one. It's the M.2 version of the ADATA SP550 240GB, I chose it over a regular 2,5" drive cause I had a free M.2 slot anyway and there's only one 2,5" drive slot left in my case after I installed my Samsung 850 EVO SSD in the other slot.

EDIT: as for OP, boot times seem unaffected from your SSD speed. A shitty Kingston V300 boots the system in about the same time as a fast 850 EVO drive despite being significantly slower.

True sorry forgot about that, I just assumed the OP was talking about drives like the 950 Pro

Spoiler

AXIOM

13 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

You wouldn't notice much of a difference. m.2's are a waste of money unless you are constantly transferring massive files

5 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

No its not at all.

True sorry forgot about that, I just assumed the OP was talking about drives like the 950 Pro

I linked the drive I was referencing. 

The Grey Squirrel

20 hours ago, Dubesta11 said:

~snip~

Hi :)

Generally M.2 is simply a form factor such as the regular 2.5". What matters is which bus it uses to communicate with the motherboard. 

The SSD that you have chosen can work with both the SATA and the PCIe bus and use either the AHCI or the NVMe protocols.

The motherboard seem to support PCIe-based M.2 drives s oyou should be fine. I would check if the NVMe function for those SSDs works well on this particular motherboard and if a BIOS/UEFI update is needed. 

It would really depend on what you do on your system. You may see a significant improvement on some storage-demanding applications while witnessing no improvement at all over a regular SATA SSD in other types of usage.

Let me know if you need more info :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

4 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hi :)

Generally M.2 is simply a form factor such as the regular 2.5". What matters is which bus it uses to communicate with the motherboard. 

The SSD that you have chosen can work with both the SATA and the PCIe bus and use either the AHCI or the NVMe protocols.

The motherboard seem to support PCIe-based M.2 drives s oyou should be fine. I would check if the NVMe function for those SSDs works well on this particular motherboard and if a BIOS/UEFI update is needed. 

It would really depend on what you do on your system. You may see a significant improvement on some storage-demanding applications while witnessing no improvement at all over a regular SATA SSD in other types of usage.

Let me know if you need more info :)

Captain_WD.

Doesn't WD now have M.2 SSDs? How do those compare to regular 2.5mm SSDs in terms of speed?

The Grey Squirrel

17 hours ago, Dubesta11 said:

~snip~

As I pointed out in my previous post, M.2 is simply a form factor, meaning just the size of the drive. 

WD Blue SSD and WD Green SSD both have M.2 versions and they have the exact same performance as the 2.5" versions. 

If you take a M.2 SATA SSD and the same model but in 2.5" SATA format you will have the exact same performance with only the physical size of the SSD being different. 

You can check out the spec sheets of both WD Blue SSD and WD Green SSD and see that there are no differences between the M.2 and the 2.5" versions. 

You will see a performance difference if a M.2 uses the PCIe bus instead of the SATA bus, which not all M.2 do so that's one thing to look out for. Also, your motherboard's M.2 slot needs to support M.2 PCIe connection (either over AHCI or NVMe) otherwise the M.2 SSD will again work through the SATA bus and will work as a regular 2.5" SSD.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/