RAM upgrade question

Sort of a noobish question here...\

I'm planning my first build, and my mother board has quad-channel RAM support and 128 gb max.

I want the ability to upgrade to 128 gb in the future, without having to replace RAM sticks. But, I'd like to start out with 32 gigs. This means I need to get 2 sticks of 16 gb, to eventually fill out 8 sticks of 16.

This leads to my question, does buying RAM in sets of 2 mean that they are always dual channel, even if I buy 2 sets of identical RAM? 

I don't want to purchase dual channel RAM, and then end up not being able to run it in quad channel after buying 2 more identical sticks.

Basically, are these sticks - http://pcpartpicker.com/product/xrvZxr/corsair-vengeance-led-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-2666-memory-cmu32gx4m2a2666c16

the same exact sticks as these? - http://pcpartpicker.com/product/WZJkcf/corsair-vengeance-led-64gb-4-x-16gb-ddr4-2666-memory-cmu64gx4m4a2666c16

Or is dual channel hugely different than quad? and I should just go for 4x8 or 4x16 right off the bat?

thanks!!!!

If you want to buy two dual channel kits for quad channel memory, they need to be as close to each other's specifications as much as possible. This includes capacity, timing, and speed. So no, those two kits are not considered "exactly the same" for multi-channel purposes because they differ in capacity. I could be wrong but I'm also certain multi-channel memory is an all or nothing deal. Either you are using quad channel or you're not. So you will need an 4x kit.

As for how much you need, that depends on what you're doing. If this is a gaming/editing rig, start with 32GB. If you are running a server and like a half dozen VMs, go with 64GB.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you want to buy two dual channel kits for quad channel memory, they need to be as close to each other's specifications as much as possible. This includes capacity, timing, and speed. So no, those two kits are not considered "exactly the same" for multi-channel purposes because they differ in capacity. I could be wrong but I'm also certain multi-channel memory is an all or nothing deal. Either you are using quad channel or you're not. So you will need an 4x kit.

The two sets are exactly the same specifications as each other, when it comes to the individual RAM sticks. They even use the same pictures. Is that them just packing 4 of those sticks together as opposed to 2?

1 minute ago, the gremlin said:

The two sets are exactly the same specifications as each other, when it comes to the individual RAM sticks. They even use the same pictures. Is that them just packing 4 of those sticks together as opposed to 2?

Ah wait, I misread the product. It could work, but really you should get a quad channel kit to maximize your chances of it working.

It shouldn't matter. If I recall, the ram is exactly the same, in timings and everything. One is just packed as two, the other as four. You shouldn't mix different ram though. (different manufacturer, series, speed, etc.)

Buying them in 2 just means that in the end you'll have spend a bit more (for the packaging).

Just now, y_unit265 said:

It shouldn't matter. If I recall, the ram is exactly the same, in timings and everything. One is just packed as two, the other as four. You shouldn't mix different ram though. (different manufacturer, series, speed, etc.)

Cool! So what I'm thinking is- if ram sticks are available as quad channel, buying identical sticks in a pack of two will still support quad channel.

Just now, the gremlin said:

Cool! So what I'm thinking is- if ram sticks are available as quad channel, buying identical sticks in a pack of two will still support quad channel.

Quad channel and Dual channel isn't depended on the type of stick you buy (as far as I am aware), it is rather the way the layout on your motherboard is supported. Quad channel won't do anything for you if you have 2 sticks. Same way as dual channel does nothing for 1 stick.

2 minutes ago, y_unit265 said:

Quad channel and Dual channel isn't depended on the type of stick you buy (as far as I am aware), it is rather the way the layout on your motherboard is supported. Quad channel won't do anything for you if you have 2 sticks. Same way as dual channel does nothing for 1 stick.

Oh, so RAM sticks don't have a maximum channel capacity? I could theoretically run these in 16-channel if my motherboard supported it? (given I had 16 sticks obviously)

3 minutes ago, the gremlin said:

Oh, so RAM sticks don't have a maximum channel capacity? I could theoretically run these in 16-channel if my motherboard supported it? (given I had 16 sticks obviously)

If a motherboard were to exist that had 16 channel support at this point, then yes? I'm by no means an expert, but from learning how to build a pc, that is how I asume it works. (For me it explains the 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b naming on most motherboards, dual channel)

10 minutes ago, y_unit265 said:

This topic may have some more information on the subject, although I haven't read it myself.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-dual-triple-and-quad-channel-memory-architectures/

Yes, thank you. just read the applicable sections. The only requirements for the RAM sticks themselves are that they are identical. So, purchasing two of the same exact pack of 2 shouldn't be a problem. (As far as this article is concerned)

I hope I'm right! haha

I just told from what seemed logical to me. Nothing of what I said is gauranteed to be correct, keep that in mind. I am no expert, nor shall I ever be (probably). I hope I've at least been of some use ;)