PCIE 4x Gen 2 Enough for Crossfire?

JerichoN
Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,

PCIe 2.0 x4 is pretty bad, you could see some significant bottlenecking there.

In addition, it sounds like it's wired through the chipset, so that bandwidth is shared with all the other stuff. That makes it extra problematic.

Hello!

I chose a motherboard that I didn't look too far into, It has only a Gen 3 16x, with another Gen 2 4x (16x Physical)

I was wondering if a 4x Gen 2 would be enough for an rx 470? Highly doubt it.

I have an rx 470, looking to add an rx 480, my power supply and all other factors are ready for this.

EDIT: my MB, a Gigabyte Z97p-d3 is marketed as "Crossfire ready"

All help is appreciated. Many thanks :)

You can't crossfire a 470 and a 480, but yes it should be enough if your motherboard supports crossfire.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

PCIe 2.0 x4 is pretty bad, you could see some significant bottlenecking there.

In addition, it sounds like it's wired through the chipset, so that bandwidth is shared with all the other stuff. That makes it extra problematic.

3 minutes ago, JerichoN said:

AMD allows crossfire with cards from the same family.

http://wccftech.com/rx-480-rx-470-crossfire/

Wccftech is one of the worst places in terms of actual "news." Most of their stuff is just rumors. 

They allowed it on cards like the 7970/280x, because they were literally the same card. You might not be able to crossfire ones with different amounts of vram.

Really you are better off selling the 470, and getting a gtx 1070 instead, you can find them for under $400 now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4XyxFT/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-windforce-oc-video-card-gv-n1070wf2oc-8gd

It also will do as well as 480 cf in the benchmark @Jorgen297 posted, use less power, and not a lot of games will even support crossfire.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

Wccftech is one of the worst places in terms of actual "news." Most of their stuff is just rumors. 

They allowed it on cards like the 7970/280x, because they were literally the same card. You might not be able to crossfire ones with different amounts of vram.

Really you are better off selling the 470, and getting a gtx 1070 instead, you can find them for under $400 now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4XyxFT/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-windforce-oc-video-card-gv-n1070wf2oc-8gd

It also will do as well as 480 cf in the benchmark @Jorgen297 posted, use less power, and not a lot of games will even support crossfire.

Thanks for the input, The Techquickie video stated that you can mix VRAM.

33 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Not just the 7970 and 280X. Those could also crossfire with the 7950, 280, and 7870 XT. All based on the same GPU, that's all it takes for Crossfire. That's why the RX 470 and 480 can also Crossfire with each other, they also use the same GPU (Polaris 10).