Windows server and automatic backups

Go to solution Solved by Marine_Boy,

I don't know if you can make the users logged into your domain(I assume that was what you meant) save the downloaded files on the server, not on the machine that they are logged on on, automatically, but you can make a shared folder on your server and while downloading something choose it as a destination. As for backups you can use Veeam Endpoint Backup. It's a free backup software. You can install it on each client of your domain, schedule the backups for every night and the destination folder to store the backups would be a share that you created on your server ;) 

I recently installed Windows server 2016 and set up a domain controller and DNS with it but I want to know what i can do to have any user logged in to the server save anything they download to the server instead of computer and if I can't do that, how do I set up automatic backups onto the server every night? Thanks, Dana

I don't know if you can make the users logged into your domain(I assume that was what you meant) save the downloaded files on the server, not on the machine that they are logged on on, automatically, but you can make a shared folder on your server and while downloading something choose it as a destination. As for backups you can use Veeam Endpoint Backup. It's a free backup software. You can install it on each client of your domain, schedule the backups for every night and the destination folder to store the backups would be a share that you created on your server ;) 

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 1800X @ 3.9 - NZXT Kraken X62 - MSI X370 SLI PLUS - G.Skill TRIDENT Z RGB 16GB 2667MHz - 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 WindForce OC - NZXT S340 (Purple-White) - OCZ 120GB, Seagate 1TB - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold - SAMSUNG S24D590 24", HP L1950g - Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Creative Cambridge Sound Works + two random Philips speakers, Logitech G430 headset - Win 10 Pro x64

Retro Gaming PC - ASUS T3

Server - HP ProLiant DL380 G6(Currently assembling it) - 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 2.26GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor

NAS - Zyxel NSA320S 2 x Seagate Constellation ES 2TB(RAID1) - QNAP TS-212 1 x 500GB

-=Logitech FanBoiiiiiiii=-

I love NZXT as well <3

Folder Redirection is what your after if you want users to save files to the server when logged on to workstations/desktops that are joined to the domain.

Just now, Dark said:

Would roaming profiles not be a suitable solution?

Roaming profiles should never be used without folder redirection else you'll get extremely long login and logout times. Roaming profiles fully sync on login and logout so if you have 20GB of documents you'll have very frustrated users.

Folder redirection moves the user data out of the profile to a UNC/SMB path so the profile only contains actual profile data and settings meaning they stay at a small size and therefore have very acceptable login and logout times, basically unnoticeable.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Roaming profiles should never be used without folder redirection else you'll get extremely long login and logout times. Roaming profiles fully sync on login and logout so if you have 20GB of documents you'll have very frustrated users.

Folder redirection moves the user data out of the profile to a UNC/SMB path so the profile only contains actual profile data and settings meaning they stay at a small size and therefore have very acceptable login and logout times, basically unnoticeable.

So the only downside is accessing files is limited by the network speed (not so much an issue with smaller files).  It still alleviates the much longer initial transfer of the profile.

Just now, Dark said:

So the only downside is accessing files is limited by the network speed (not so much an issue with smaller files).  It still alleviates the much longer initial transfer of the profile.

Other than the desktop having a local SSD the server storage even over 1Gb network is much faster than the local HDD. Most of the important activity still happens on the local disk so even with an SSD you'll gain all the benefits as normal, opening up for example a word document in your documents directory that actually lives on the server will be in practical terms the same speed.

For mobile devices you turn on offline files which caches the user data/home drive to the device so you can still access all your files when not on the network and once you are back on the network it will automatically sync the files to the server in the background.