HP Laptop Is Sizzling Hot (Need Help)

Hello All, I was wondering if I could get some info on Heat Dissipation for a certain laptop.

My old HP ENVY m6-1205dx is running very well, other than the fact that it overheats frequently. That was why I stopped using it a year ago.

I just recently saw it sitting in my closet and thought that it may be of use. So, I redownloaded Windows 8 (Original OS) and reinstalled it, (Of course, the computer autoshutdown in between takes, but luckily no errors, but for some reason Windows update doesn't work properly, still fixing)

The computer continued on it's path of Auto Shutdowns to preserve the cpu and graphics chip. So I found a simple fix online, lower the cpu power in AMD catalyst.

And it worked.

But, at a cost.

Now, instead of the normal 2.3 GHz I used to run at, I am stuck at 1400 MHz ~ 1800 MHz total in order for the pc to run stable.

I wanted to know if there was a better way to fix this laptop, (And YES I DID DUST IT OUT WITH COMPRESSED AIR!!!)

Please let me know, I would like to try and squeeze as much performance out of this old PC as I can.

Spoiler

Gaijin-Oni: 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  • RAM
    Corsair 4x8GB 3200MHz Vengeance RGB Pro
  • GPU
    RX 7900 XT
  • Case
    Cooler Master Masterbox 5
  • Storage
    1TB WD BLACK SN850 NVME
    1x 8TB Seagate Drives (Shucked)
    2x 1TB HP SSD's
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000w PSU
  • Display(s)
    Viotek 1440p 144hz 27in
    LG 4K 32in
    Acer 1080p 27in
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i Capellix
  • Keyboard
    Red Dragon K552 Modded
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 Elite
  • Sound
    SoundBlaster Pro Audigy (Sennheiser HDXX's)
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 64-bit

2 minutes ago, SHAD0WxF1R3 said:

Hello All, I was wondering if I could get some info on Heat Dissipation for a certain laptop.

My old HP ENVY m6-1205dx is running very well, other than the fact that it overheats frequently. That was why I stopped using it a year ago.

I just recently saw it sitting in my closet and thought that it may be of use. So, I redownloaded Windows 8 (Original OS) and reinstalled it, (Of course, the computer autoshutdown in between takes, but luckily no errors, but for some reason Windows update doesn't work properly, still fixing)

The computer continued on it's path of Auto Shutdowns to preserve the cpu and graphics chip. So I found a simple fix online, lower the cpu power in AMD catalyst.

And it worked.

But, at a cost.

Now, instead of the normal 2.3 GHz I used to run at, I am stuck at 1400 MHz ~ 1800 MHz total in order for the pc to run stable.

I wanted to know if there was a better way to fix this laptop, (And YES I DID DUST IT OUT WITH COMPRESSED AIR!!!)

Please let me know, I would like to try and squeeze as much performance out of this old PC as I can.

Most likely a busted heatpipe. Maybe you can look at replacing the fan system? There are many OEM replacement fans/heatpipes you can find online.

Try blowing out the cooling vents. 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430