So I won a i7-5960X, now what?

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 0:32 PM, done12many2 said:

That is completely inaccurate. 

The 2133 MHz rating is for "official support" only.  The 5960x officially supports 2133 MHz, but higher speed RAM will indeed run much faster than officially supported.

As an example, I've attached a screen shot of my G.Skill TridentZ 3200 c14 (best stuff for x99 at the moment) doing just that.

A good 5960x will overclock a great deal higher than it's stock 3.5 GHz Turbo.  I've yet to see one that wouldn't do in excess of a 1 GHz overclock in capable hands.

The chip is an absolute beast.  With that said, be prepared to tame the heat it produces once you start pushing high clock speeds.  

3200 MHz DDR4.jpg

Just noticed the more button on the config list. Using a Caselabs Mercury S8 (black)?

4 minutes ago, SlipAngle said:

Wow nice to see it running at 4.9GHz. That is a beast of a system you have going there. I have been playing with my system and did manage to get it to 4.7GHz and it is running stable at about 70 C. I realized that I really need a new video card before I post any benchmarks, my old 8800 GTX card really isn't cutting it. I also need a new case so I can fit both fans on my CPU cooler so I don't want to create too much more heat at the moment.

What case are you using?

CPU cooler currently just fits with one fan installed.

It's not full time 4.9 GHz on my daily overclock.  For daily use I run a per core overclock and clock speed is based on the amount of cores being utilized.  Much like Intel's own Turbo.

At 4 or less cores, each core runs at 4.9 GHz.  5 or less, 4.8 GHz.  6 or less, 4.7 GHz and will all 8 being utilized, 4.6 GHz.

I was lucky enough to get a great 5960x.  When I run benchmark, I run all 8 cores between 4.8 and 5.0 GHz depending on what I'm doing.  CPU cache does great up to around 4.7 to 4.8 GHz.

2 minutes ago, SlipAngle said:

Just noticed the more button on the config list. Using a Caselabs Mercury S8 (black)?

Yep.  I like Caselabs a lot.  I actually have two of their cases.  The one for the build in my signature is a Mercury S8 with a S8 Pedestal added.  The thing got so heavy once I added all the parts that I had to install the optional wheels.  :D

Looks great, but I suspect my wife would not appreciate one sitting in our living room. I am using my TV as a monitor.

Just now, SlipAngle said:

Looks great, but I suspect my wife would not appreciate one sitting in our living room. I am using my TV as a monitor.

Sit her down and show her the Caselabs website.  Women love the stylish look of PURE BEAST sitting right in the middle of the living room.  :D

All jokes aside, my wife would kill me if I ever rolled one of my rigs into the family room.  I have no complaints as she lets me get what I want as long as I keep it in my office.