Need assistance picking parts for Plex Media Server

khoops

Hello All,

Brand new to this forum, and it has been a long time since I have built, or otherwise played around with computer components!

I am trying to determine how best to proceed in building a tower that I can use for the purpose of a Plex media server. I think the most important factors in this build is that it needs to be on the cheap side for now, but also be upgrade-able so that in the future if I need to expand the needs of it, I can do so without doing another complete build. I've heard some good things about the intel G3258 CPU as it is cheap and would get the job done, and as long I could upgrade in the future to an i5 or similar, I think it may be my best bang for the buck right now. 

I am completely open to any suggestions though.  Just a note on the build too...I will only need a small SSD to get it started as I have some storage to use right now, with a plan to find a large or several large HDD to transfer everything over later.

As an aside, I likely won't be purchasing in the next 3 days, but I would like to in the next month, or maybe with some good Black Friday deals I could find some or all of the parts at a better price.

PC Builds

- Budget: I am hoping to keep this build under $300 CAD (If that is possible???)
- Zip Code or Location: I am in Alberta, in Canada
- Specific Use: It will be used as a Plex Media Server (so it will be on 24/7, 365)
- Any preferred components?: Pretty well wide open here, I think it may be best to allow room to grow with additional hard drives though.
- Any spare parts you can re-use?: I will be using existing HDD's right now to store media, with a plan to buy large storage later within the tower. 
- Overclocking your processor?: Don't really want to, but if it becomes necessary, I suppose I could.
- Need an Operating System?: Maybe?? I was thinking of using Linux, I also have an unused copy of Windows 8 I could maybe use.
- Need a Monitor? / Mouse? / Keyboard?:  Nope.
- Need a Wireless Card or Adapter?  I will do hard wired
- Need Another Component? (Specify): I guess depends on the build if I need dedicated graphics to get it going....

Other Useful Info

- Preferred Case Features (Ex: Color, Side Window, Flashy): Does not matter, whatever is cheap and big enough to house extra cooling and is expandable with additional HDD. It will be hidden in the utility room, so nobody will see it.
- Number of Monitors: 0
- Other Info?: I don't think so....

THANKS!!!!!

I would recommend buying used. Plex doesnt need much to run, so you are better off buying used server hardware that will have a good NIC.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Welcome to the forums!

Here is a build that is aiming for what you want to achieve.  Unfortunately under $300 CA is not doable for a worthwhile Plex server (I have built many in my time).  I own the processor, memory, case and hard drive in this build so I can verify their quality.  This will allow for you to add up to 3 HDD (12TB limit with 4TB drives) and 1 SSD before needing a raid card.  Also, this is using onboard video so you have space for a raid card and a graphics card down the line if you wish.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/w9tsm8

$365.90

5 hours ago, Jordan Scott said:

Welcome to the forums!

Here is a build that is aiming for what you want to achieve.  Unfortunately under $300 CA is not doable for a worthwhile Plex server (I have built many in my time).  I own the processor, memory, case and hard drive in this build so I can verify their quality.  This will allow for you to add up to 3 HDD (12TB limit with 4TB drives) and 1 SSD before needing a raid card.  Also, this is using onboard video so you have space for a raid card and a graphics card down the line if you wish.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/w9tsm8

$365.90

Thanks Jordan Scott,

Ya I think the 3 bills is a bit of pipe dream, but it looks like getting near that price range is do able at least!

How does that CPU do with transcoding?

On 11/12/2016 at 8:27 AM, khoops said:

How does that CPU do with transcoding?

Running one in mine.  Handles large 1080p h264 files and 720p h265 without a problem.  Haven't tested more than one stream at a time though.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10;