Best CPUs for PS2 Emulation

I like to occasionally run some of my old ps2 games on my pc and generally I get pretty good framerates with boosted graphics on my fx 8350. However, a few select titles (like shadow of the colossus) run a bit choppily. Some old forum posts on the pcsx2 say that a 4790k is capable of running near perfectly, but it hasn't been updated in a while. Just wondering if there are any modern cpus with strong single core performance for pcsx2 intensive dual core load.

What's wrong with the ps2?

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

Al  emulators for older consoles are very single  threaded,  so only currnt intel cpus are capable of doing well..  Imo wait for zen if you can . 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I have experience on this topic.

PCSX2 1.4 runs almost perfectly with my I3-6100 @3.7Ghz but if I overclock to 4.4GHz, there are no slow-downs or hiccups of any kind.

Also the emulator needs a decent GPU as well. eg GTX 750 Ti

Just now, Dr_Nooberious said:

I have experience on this topic.

PCSX2 1.4 runs almost perfectly with my I3-6100 @3.7Ghz but if I overclock to 4.4GHz, there are no slow-downs or hiccups of any kind.

Also the emulator needs a decent GPU as well. eg GTX 750 Ti

i have a gtx 970, so it shouldn't be an issue

1 minute ago, DevyD3 said:

i have a gtx 970, so it shouldn't be an issue

If you are having choppy gameplay, from what I see, you have to either overclock your cpu OR wait until Xen OR buy a recent intel CPU.

Just now, Dr_Nooberious said:

If you are having choppy gameplay, from what I see, you have to either overclock your cpu OR wait until Xen OR buy a recent intel CPU.

it is mostly fine, it's just in games like shadow of the colossus, and (my guilty pleasure) shadow the hedgehog. But I might as well start saving up to upgrade the cpu, the only reason I even have an 8350 is because it was on sale for $100, in the meantime I'll try experimenting with overclocks

1 minute ago, Strike105X said:

PCSX2 uses mostly 2 threads, there is an MTVU option so that it can use the third core, but its still the first two that get the biggest hit, with that said any unlocked i5 starting with Haswell  is good enough (Skylake though would be recommended since its the newer tech), if on a tight budget then your only choice is the G3258, i played full speed Zone of Enders 2nd Runner with it (PAL) at 4.1 Ghz, with that said do be careful as the G3258 is not good when it comes to newer games (and its compatibility will decrease more and more in the future) since its not a dual core and it doesn't have hyper threading. AMD unfortunately is limited when it comes to emulation, since emulation mainly stresses the first one or two cores.

TL;DR version: if on a budget, PC gaming is not your main concern and your building a machine especially for emulation like i did the G3258 is a good option. Or you can try the used market and fish for a 2500k, if you don't mind buying used.

If not, then go with at least an i5 Haswell or if you want future proofing i5 Skylake.

I had completely forgotten about the used market, thanks for the input