dedicated server and nas?

Would it be possible to make a dedicated server for host arma3 and ark servers, and have a nas feature running in background??
if so what would be your recommendations??

that's basicly what my home server is doing.

on that note, i have one very big recommendation for you:

dont run ANYTHING public on your home network. if you host game servers, keep them strictly to your friends, and those you can trust on a personal level. the moment "friends of friends" come in it becomes iffy, and when basicly everyone can join you become an easy target for attacks, and break license agreement with your ISP. (which is a bigger deal than you'd think.)

beyond that, custom built is the way to go, off the shelf solutions for this purpose are way too expenisve and impractical for the home.

I would not put a gaming server on my NAS. I would not connect my NAS to the internet.

But you are not me.

Just take the spec requirements and add a core & RAM for the NAS.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Let's assume you run a sensible firewall appliance (OPNsense, PFSense, any Edgerouter from ubnt or a openbsd box) and have a plenty powerful either FreeBSD (FreeNAS, NAS4Free) or Linux based, then you might setup a resource contained VM, so you normal operation is not impacted, expose that via a DMZ to the Internet (which in a proper setup means that the VM can only reach the internet, but not the rest of you local network), and use NAT-reflection to reach it yourself. If you don't have a static IP you'll need some kind of DDNS-Service in addition to that.

Please be aware what you are doing here: you are exposing your private home IP to everybody connecting to the Server, which means that this annoying Cheater on your server, that you banned, can easily take your connection down, if he has a decently connected box on the internet. Good luck.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:02 AM, foobar42 said:

Let's assume you run a sensible firewall appliance (OPNsense, PFSense, any Edgerouter from ubnt or a openbsd box) and have a plenty powerful either FreeBSD (FreeNAS, NAS4Free) or Linux based, then you might setup a resource contained VM, so you normal operation is not impacted, expose that via a DMZ to the Internet (which in a proper setup means that the VM can only reach the internet, but not the rest of you local network), and use NAT-reflection to reach it yourself. If you don't have a static IP you'll need some kind of DDNS-Service in addition to that.

Please be aware what you are doing here: you are exposing your private home IP to everybody connecting to the Server, which means that this annoying Cheater on your server, that you banned, can easily take your connection down, if he has a decently connected box on the internet. Good luck.

should i separate then and use a vpn on server, whilest the nas is connected to only house hold devices?

On 16/11/2016 at 7:48 AM, Brandon Taylor said:

should i separate then and use a vpn on server, whilest the nas is connected to only house hold devices?

As long as you are allowing inbound traffic intro your network, no matter if over a vpn or native, somebody can saturate that, and make your internet crippling slow. My solution to that is, that I only allow inbound VPN connections, but that only works if you are playing exclusively with friends.