overclocking i5 4670k

so i recently overclocked my cpu a bit from 3.8mhz  to 4.0mhz and a few people recommended me to use prime 95 to test stability of the cpu. When i game my cpu usage usually sits at around 90% and uses 1.15 V but when i ran prime 95 my voltage shot up to 1.25v is this suppose to happen when you run prime 95.

when i ran prime 95 for a good 20min at 1.25v it sits at around 50-70c with a 212evo so would it be safe if i oc it a bit more to 4.2mhz

34 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Yes it is, any stress test will increase the voltage. Prime95 however is considered by some to be a power virus, meaning it will draw more voltage than specified. You should use AIDA64 and Cinebench first, then maybe a bit of Prime95 to be sure.

when i ran prime 95 for a good 20min at 1.25v it sits at around 50-70c with a 212evo so would it be safe if i oc it a bit more to 4.2mhz

14 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Well what voltage do you use in bios? The temperature is safe, I don't know much about the voltage for that particular CPU however. If you use Auto voltage, you're likely overfeeding your CPU. A manual or an offset voltage would be better. 

i use auto voltage adjustment at around 1.15v

9 minutes ago, steven depaco said:

i use auto voltage adjustment at around 1.15v

You should use Offset voltage settings. I say should because some motherboards handle it differently, so if you don't see voltage spikes past about 1.35ish on auto settings then you're in the clear. Haswell is good to about 1.4v, maybe 1.45 under water. Anything under 1.3V is the sweet spot for a 4670k, mine for instance can do 4.5GHz without going over 1.28V.

Your temperatures are decent for a 212 so try pushing it to 4.2GHz and see what happens.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

27 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

You should use Offset voltage settings. I say should because some motherboards handle it differently, so if you don't see voltage spikes past about 1.35ish on auto settings then you're in the clear. Haswell is good to about 1.4v, maybe 1.45 under water. Anything under 1.3V is the sweet spot for a 4670k, mine for instance can do 4.5GHz without going over 1.28V.

Your temperatures are decent for a 212 so try pushing it to 4.2GHz and see what happens.

my temps are prob gonna get lower closer to the winter cause its freezing here in canada lol. but yea i have a z87 g45 so do you recommend if i use offset or auto

Just now, steven depaco said:

my temps are prob gonna get lower closer to the winter cause its freezing here in canada lol. but yea i have a z87 g45 so do you recommend if i use offset or auto

Stick with auto if it's working but you'll have to keep a close eye on it. Offset mode requires a lot of legwork to dial it in, but it's worth it for the peace of mind knowing your CPU won't suddenly be force fed 1.5V for no reason. 

And yeah I'm already seeing the effects of the colder weather on my water loop. Loving that 35C max under load.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.