What does OEM mean and why would i not buy it?

joelthezombie15

im wanting to get windows 7 for my pc but i dont want to spend 200$ for it and i dont torrent stuff or anything so dont suggest it. but i saw windows 7 OEM for 99$ and i dont know the difference and why it is cheaper and any side effects from it coudl you please help

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Credit to MS forum mods.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Credit to MS forum mods.

perfect thank you very very much and by diffrent model motherboard what do you meanlike a Z77 to a Z86 or something or different brands or what?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

Credit to MS forum mods.

Like Z77 - Z86, you are completely locked down to that motherboard you use. When I was working in tech, when someone had an OEM windows installed and their motherboard died, you had to contact Microsoft to notify them that you're changing to a different motherboard. It was a nightmare.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

yes, even i like some information regarding this. regarding the motherboard, if my motherboard fails[msi 760gm-p21] and get a new msi 760gm-p21, will it work?

Credit to MS forum mods.

so if my original Mobo dies and i get an identical one will i have a problem?

yes, even i like some information regarding this. regarding the motherboard, if my motherboard fails[msi 760gm-p21] and get a new msi 760gm-p21, will it work?
are you asking a question or answering one? not being rude just dont follow

Credit to MS forum mods.

No, unless the motherboard is identical you won't have a problem, I will also be careful of switching any Ram or so, the OEM can be very funny about stuff sometimes.

Yes, identical motherboard will work on OEMs.

Credit to MS forum mods.

so just so i get this straight (sorry) if i have a msi mpower bigbang Z77 board and it dies if i replace it for the same exact board it will be ok?

Credit to MS forum mods.

so just so i get this straight (sorry) if i have a msi mpower bigbang Z77 board and it dies if i replace it for the same exact board it will be ok?

Correct. But just make sure it doesn't die at all, it would be really hard to find another Bigbang Z77 5 years down the road. :P

Credit to MS forum mods.

k thak you

OEM is just that Original Equipment Manufacture. These installs are designed to go with one system usually prebuilt ones like Acer HP or Dell to name a few. You can only install on that system yes you can install it on another system and it may or may not let you activate it.Sometimes by calling Microsoft. Your best bet is to get a regular licence and if you ever update your hardware ie your mainboard then you can reinstall with no issues. OEMs not install each individual OS they image them and then mass image harddrives. I have worked for one and it's just how it is.

Not sure about that. My brother used his Win7 Ultimate OEM that came with his Asus G73jh for his new custom rig and it's working flawlessly for soon a year now. [i know cause I built it =P]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

OEM just means It doesn't come with a retail package, it's exactly the same as retail versions.