Editing/gaming build list help

Bushwookie1

Recently my friend came to me asking about building a new beastly editing/gaming PC that he needs for work since his old PC is slowly dying, we spent a couple hours on teamspeak together looking at parts and I tried my best to recommend parts I knew about and tried to help push him in the correct direction for what he wanted built.

This is what we came up with: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kjCrm8

I'm not an absolute veteran at PC building and I don't understand much to anything about the rendering performance and what's optimal. My main two concerns are the i7 (whether It's worth getting instead of a cheaper i5) and if it's worth buying higher speed ram.

Any other tips or comments would be appreciated. -Cheers

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£316.98 @ Novatech) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£99.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£87.60 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£199.10 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£281.99 @ Novatech) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£42.89 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£42.89 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card  (£649.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case  (£105.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£86.99 @ Novatech) 
Total: £1914.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-08 17:12 GMT+0000

Quick rebuild.

Changes:

• Switched cooler from h80 to h100i v2
  • Switched from Seagate(They are known to fail, and they've failed 3 times on me) to Western Digital
  • Changed from Gaming m5 to MSI Z170A PRO
  • Removed your multiple SSDs
  • Put a single SSD

I would recommend him getting a 960 EVO or PRO when they come out as a boot drive.

The SSD's were specific to my mate, he wants three for sorting/clarity reasons. I tried to bring him down to just a 120gb and 1tb but he *really* wants three. 

Thanks for the heads up on the seagate drives!

5 minutes ago, Bushwookie1 said:

The SSD's were specific to my mate, he wants three for sorting/clarity reasons. I tried to bring him down to just a 120gb and 1tb but he *really* wants three. 

That makes no sense at all there is no reason to have a 120gb drive 500gb and 1tb its just stupid.

4 minutes ago, Bushwookie1 said:

One can create multiple volumes on a drive. Suggest to your friend  Crucial MX300 2.0TB 2.5" Solid State Drive with a 240GB C: volume, a 500GB D: volume, and the remaining roughly 1.2GB as E:.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I've told him that there's no reason to have two drives, let alone three because he can partition a single drive to do exactly the same, I was actually having a hard time deciding on a drive for that, thanks for the suggestion!