Folder cannot be deleted

magician369
Hi,
I have a folder stuck on my disk and each time I try to deleted it it give a message that says:
"you will need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder".
I have already googled the problem, did not find anything that help. There is nothing to change under Permissions in folder properties. I don't think it is a malware, it is more like a bug or somthing happend to me when I downloaded and extracted a .zip file using Jdownloader.

More about : folder deleted

So Tomshardware did not work out huh?

Where is the folder located? Have you gained persmission by right clicking > properties?

Did you accept any of the additional software to download when you did the setup?

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, magician369 said:
Hi,
I have a folder stuck on my disk and each time I try to deleted it it give a message that says:
I have already googled the problem, did not find anything that help. There is nothing to change under Permissions in folder properties. I don't think it is a malware, it is more like a bug or somthing happend to me when I downloaded and extracted a .zip file using Jdownloader.

what @deXxterlab97 said. Where is the folder at?

Heres a very useful tool for unlocking locked files and folders.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html

That being said, what is this folder before you go erasing it? It may be something required by windows so be absolutely sure before erasing anything.

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, pwn_intended said:

Heres a very useful tool for unlocking locked files and folders.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html

That being said, what is this folder before you go erasing it? It may be something required by windows so be absolutely sure before erasing anything.

OP get this tool it's awesome, I swear by that shit whenever I get a funky file or where something can't be deleted for whatever reason. Of course as he said, make sure Windows doesn't need it but it's a neat tool to have.

You could go through CMD. 

Launch it as admin, then type 

RD /S /Q <Path of the Folder>

For example, it would be like this:

RD /S /Q C:\Users\Shinobu\Documents\Folder

4 minutes ago, magician369 said:
Hi,

what file system is the disk, if it is ntfs you can take ownership of the folder to delete it

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

Here's a method I used that worked

right click on the folder -> properties -> security

click advanced in the right corner,

in the new menu under owner change it to yourself (even if you fall into the administrator group I don't know why ) 

click change and in the box, type your user name and hit check names, if done correctly it should rename the box 'yourPCname/UserName'

select okay and apply, and try and delete the folder 

If that fails use http://lockhunter.com/

it places a link in your contextual (right click) menu, and will show You what's locking a folder and allow you to delete it, unlock it, 

and if that fails the app allows you to queue it to delete at next boot 

You guys are funny, downloading bloatware programs to delete a folder.

Has anyone thought that perhaps the OP isn't an administrator of the computer?

Just now, corrado33 said:

You guys are funny, downloading bloatware programs to delete a folder.

Has anyone thought that perhaps the OP isn't an administrator of the computer?

As you can see I didn't recommend bloatware

You could do a reg edit and use the take ownership option which may or may not work, especially if the file size is 0 bytes and windows cannot find it. I like @Thread212suggestion as it is the easiest and IT WORKS EVERYTIME.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

12 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

Yup. i have failed before.. i use unlocker to delete windows.old and 434734738743872384 named folder but its still cant be deleted. so i use Ubuntu and voila.. its gone

Me 2. I have used Ubuntu and I have a couple of hackintoshes with working NTFS software drivers on them and that works as well. Always Keep a Linux distro around for the "problem children" LOL

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

@deXxterlab97 @Matt_98 @AliB2512What the hell 15 replies in few hours u guys are awesome. I cannot follow all the replies for now here are some answers to your questions:

-win 10 updated and in good shape.

- I am the administrator

-tried unlocker befor posting, obviously did not work.

-it is not that important folder some kind of game ost downloaded from a trusted site using Jdownloader.

-NTFC no OS drive D

-There is nothing available to change under security no owners nothing.

4 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You could go through CMD. 

Launch it as admin, then type 

RD /S /Q <Path of the Folder>

For example, it would be like this:

RD /S /Q C:\Users\Shinobu\Documents\Folder

gave me "Access denied"

2 minutes ago, magician369 said:

gave me "Access denied"

Did you run CMD as administrator? 

If so, have you tried moving the file to a different location then deleting it?

12 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Did you run CMD as administrator? 

If so, have you tried moving the file to a different location then deleting it?

yes as admin.

I cannot move the folder. It gives me the same message.

18 hours ago, Thread212 said:

try to download unlocker.. if anything else fail.. then u must download linux ubuntu and make bootable usb.

u can use linux ubuntu without having to install it, there's a try option. it will 100% work because linux just didnt give a damn about windows.lol

thanks the Ubuntu trick worked. Now I can die in piece :)