reversed air flow cycle?

backpackbrady

Hey all,

I have a Corsair Carbide Spec-01 computer case. I purchased a Corsair 115i cpu cooler and have it currently mounted on the front of the pc. I was going to just have it exhaust out the back, but then thought. What if I have it intake air from the rear / top, exhaust front / bottom of psu? 

Intake: rear fan 120, top fans 2 120s

Exhaust: front 1 120 pushing, 2 140s pulling

Thank you for your input.

Brady

It'll work just as well as long as your fans are placed strategically! 

Just remember, when a fan blows air in it shoots in a sprialic column (straight forward and whisped to the sides a bit) and when a fan sucks air in it does so from all angles like a big parachute. 

also note that if theres a lot of hot air being sucked out it might not be a good idea to recycle it via the PSU fan. its already hot enough in there.

8 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

It'll work just as well as long as your fans are placed strategically! 

Just remember, when a fan blows air in it shoots in a sprialic column (straight forward and whisped to the sides a bit) and when a fan sucks air in it does so from all angles like a big parachute. 

also note that if theres a lot of hot air being sucked out it might not be a good idea to recycle it via the PSU fan. its already hot enough in there.

hmm okay. i think im going to try it! and if i feel my temps are high ish? ill flop em and compare <3. i just wanted to ask someone "more qualified" than me, teehee.

there is only 5 fan mounts on this case. 2 on the front, 2 on the top, 1 in the rear. so regarding intake the top and rear fan would be bringing in the colder air, do you think this is a good pattern?

p.s. oh yeah my video card is a 960 asus in which unsure who exactly this works.

then the exhaust would be the radiator fans, 1 pushing and 2 pulling. all 3 would be exhaust though. just making sure i word this correctly so it makes sense hehe.

i think i might take you up on the psu suggestion. if you could give me your thoughts on the above air flow pattern i would appreciate it. 

p.s.s. i have artic silver 5 thermal paste laying around. if i plan on overclocking, should i use the thermal paste that came on the cpu cooler, or wipe off and use the artic silver 5?

again, kudos bud. love you for this <3

1 hour ago, backpackbrady said:

hmm okay. i think im going to try it! and if i feel my temps are high ish? ill flop em and compare <3. i just wanted to ask someone "more qualified" than me, teehee.

there is only 5 fan mounts on this case. 2 on the front, 2 on the top, 1 in the rear. so regarding intake the top and rear fan would be bringing in the colder air, do you think this is a good pattern?

p.s. oh yeah my video card is a 960 asus in which unsure who exactly this works.

then the exhaust would be the radiator fans, 1 pushing and 2 pulling. all 3 would be exhaust though. just making sure i word this correctly so it makes sense hehe.

i think i might take you up on the psu suggestion. if you could give me your thoughts on the above air flow pattern i would appreciate it. 

p.s.s. i have artic silver 5 thermal paste laying around. if i plan on overclocking, should i use the thermal paste that came on the cpu cooler, or wipe off and use the artic silver 5?

again, kudos bud. love you for this <3

whats your CPU/CPU cooler? the 960 doesn't generate too much heat at all.

try it out! if your temps on either hit 80C mess with the fan curves and let me know how it works to lower them! 80C max!

3 hours ago, Beeeyeee said:

whats your CPU/CPU cooler? the 960 doesn't generate too much heat at all.

try it out! if your temps on either hit 80C mess with the fan curves and let me know how it works to lower them! 80C max!

cpu 5820k / cooler corsair 115i 

Will do, changing some things with the case and fabbing up a smaller tray for my hard drives on the bottom / making a single bay for the cd drive up top to fit over the radiator. Just about done. *drools*