Laptop Storage

MLGTurnip

I really want a new laptop but I do not want to pay over $1000 for it. I am looking at the new raze blade stealth at the moment but the only model at my price point is 128gb. I would like to know if there is a storage calculator for laptops. I really want to survive with 128gb storage but I do not know if I will be able to. I would only download a few games like over watch and barely have any files because I use google drive for that.

• CPU AMD FX 8320E  Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P  RAM 8 GB Hyper X Fury 1866 mhz  GPU GTX 970 Strix 4gb OC  Case Antryx Verom  Storage 120 GB Kingston v300 and 1Tb Hard Drive  PSU Cooler Master GX750 80 Plus Bronze  Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus  Mouse Logitech G602 and Roccat Kova  Operating System Windows 10

6 minutes ago, MLGTurnip said:

storage calculator for laptops

Huh?

Do you have an external HDD? I'd advise you to get one, say if you want to backup sth.

The calculator is: 20GB of windows10 + you know what you are gonna put on there...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

4 minutes ago, EMENCII said:

Huh?

Do you have an external HDD? I'd advise you to get one, say if you want to backup sth.

The calculator is: 20GB of windows10 + you know what you are gonna put on there...

I will not have an external drive but I will not have a lot of files on the laptop, and I never do backups because  my important things are in the cloud. I also have a desktop forr everything else.

• CPU AMD FX 8320E  Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P  RAM 8 GB Hyper X Fury 1866 mhz  GPU GTX 970 Strix 4gb OC  Case Antryx Verom  Storage 120 GB Kingston v300 and 1Tb Hard Drive  PSU Cooler Master GX750 80 Plus Bronze  Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus  Mouse Logitech G602 and Roccat Kova  Operating System Windows 10

Well then, just look up how much space the games take up and see for yourself ^^

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

thats a nice laptop. its doesn't look like it has a second drive bay for future upgrades.

Take the following numbers with a grain of salt; they are heavily based on assumptions and I welcome an educated discussion on them.

Windows 10 min requirements are 16Gb.

Windows XP started with a requirement of 1.5Gb and by SP3 it ballooned out to over 3Gb; so I will say reserve at least 3X16=48Gb for windows 10; this includes things like DirectX, over time they will add up.

A 128Gb drive would give you around 111Gb after formatting/partitioning/filesystem over head.

Everyone will give you a different number for this but I always plan for maximum 75% use of a system drive, because the system needs spare space to do its thing. This means you want (0.75*111) - 48 = 35.25Gb left over for games :( 

For a perspective; right now CSGO on my MacBook is taking up just under 12Gb.

I used this formula when I purchased my MacBook and it worked well because my drive atm is sitting at 50% used with a few games and all my tools installed. If I had gone for the cheaper 128Gb option i would be screwed.

Therefore & TLDR a ~250Gb hard drive is the minimum I would recommend for a laptop with games installed.

Ill back this up with a link to steamOS recommendations for a minimum 200Gb hard drive http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_