Ram Compatibility query.

Go to solution Solved by MkaiL,

Your motherboard has ddr4 slots and your ram is ddr4 so it's compatible. 99% of z170 boards are ddr4. After that you check the clearance with your cooler. With a 212 evo you shouldn't have any ram clearance issues. 

Also that motherboard is lga1151. The same socket skylake cpu's use (like your 6600k or 6700k) so thats also compatible. You have an unlocked chip (the "k" in the cpu number) so you need a "Z"170 board (for overclocking) which you also got. So no compatibility issues.

PS: pcpartpicker would have warned you if you did something wrong.

OK, so this is my first pc build and after the  past few months of YouTube and tech forum research I've gone from having absolutely no idea what I'm getting myself into to vaguely knowing the difference between the power supply and the cpu cooler. At this point I've actually purchased all the parts except the monitors, CPU, RAM, and OS and am starting to second guess myself on whether everything is compatible and want a little peace of mind.  My main concerns are the compatibility between the motherboard, cpu and ram. Ive already purchused the Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha motherboard and intend to buy an Intel Core I5 6600k (or possibly I7 6700K haven't made up my mind yet) and  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory. 

Current Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vgfs8K

Your motherboard has ddr4 slots and your ram is ddr4 so it's compatible. 99% of z170 boards are ddr4. After that you check the clearance with your cooler. With a 212 evo you shouldn't have any ram clearance issues. 

Also that motherboard is lga1151. The same socket skylake cpu's use (like your 6600k or 6700k) so thats also compatible. You have an unlocked chip (the "k" in the cpu number) so you need a "Z"170 board (for overclocking) which you also got. So no compatibility issues.

PS: pcpartpicker would have warned you if you did something wrong.

Everything is compatible. Not sure why you bought a $250 motherboard and decided to only get a i5 6600K... go for the i7 6700K.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Ty all for the quick responses. In retrospect i should have paid more attention to the PSU wattage ratio stuff. And I will switch out the I5 6600k for the i7 6700k. Only real question remaining is if its ok to mount the HDD in the basement with the PSU  with an intake fan blowing on it.

3 hours ago, MaddogLiam54 said:

Ty all for the quick responses. In retrospect i should have paid more attention to the PSU wattage ratio stuff. And I will switch out the I5 6600k for the i7 6700k. Only real question remaining is if its ok to mount the HDD in the basement with the PSU  with an intake fan blowing on it.

I would perhaps consider changing to a different 1080. I'm not sure if you're aware but there is quite a bit of controversy surrounding the EVGA 1070/1080 cards cooling solution which may or may not have thermal pads installed on the VRM's and also the possibility of thermal pads on the VRAM not making contact with the metal cooling plate. Whilst I'm quite confident in EVGA's service and warranty, it's just not an issue the other partner cards are having right now and it might save you a bit of hassle.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |