Which linux distro?

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

Live images can have problems with graphics hardware that the final installation may not have, simply because they use the generic driver instead of the "right" one. Outside of that, different desktop environments may have more issues than others, so you may want to take a look at some variants with a different DE.

Alternatively you can try a different distribution, I would suggest openSUSE or Debian.

Hi!! ^^

I've been using Mint on my laptop and now I'm on Ubuntu

Now I want to dualboot my PC with win10 and Linux, but I can't decide which distro to choose.

Ubuntu 16.10 and linux Mint 17.1 and 18 are acting weird, non usable... Even on Live USB/CD. 

Spoiler

Specs:

MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Z170

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 
GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390 

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 2x4GB 2666MHz CL16
HDD: Seagate ST1000VX000 1TB+SP1603C 160GB+ST3160815AS 160 GB

WiFi via some USB Tplink

Main use is for progamming c++,java, some arduino projects and studying in university. Games which I play are mostly Windows only, anyway. 

Also, I'm not "pro" Linux user, but I'm trying ^^"" The longer I use Linux, the more I like it in terms of work, resource consumption and convenience.

What can you suggest me and why? ^^"" :) 

The main issue is hardware support as I see it?..

Live images can have problems with graphics hardware that the final installation may not have, simply because they use the generic driver instead of the "right" one. Outside of that, different desktop environments may have more issues than others, so you may want to take a look at some variants with a different DE.

Alternatively you can try a different distribution, I would suggest openSUSE or Debian.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i've been enjoying KDE neon on my laptop lately.

it's basicly ubuntu, but with KDE.

26 minutes ago, WildCAt said:

Ubuntu 16.10 and linux Mint 17.1 and 18 are acting weird, non usable... Even on Live USB/CD. 

explain acting weird

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I like Fedora (Specifically anything GTK (Xfce), Qt has been having fits lately)..

It's stable, It's made by a Kick Ass Company (Only a few companies get that title from me), and its updated frequently.

I've been using it for about 1 year now, and if you don't like it, you can just change the distro, to something on a less frequent release cycle, like Debian, openSUSE (They do have a Rolling Release now), or Ubuntu.

29 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

explain acting weird

I've included link to my post in spoiler 

58 minutes ago, Sauron said:

37 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

I like Fedora (Specifically anything GTK (Xfce), Qt has been having fits lately)..

It's stable, It's made by a Kick Ass Company (Only a few companies get that title from me), and its updated frequently.

I've been using it for about 1 year now, and if you don't like it, you can just change the distro, to something on a less frequent release cycle, like Debian, openSUSE (They do have a Rolling Release now), or Ubuntu.

I'll try Debian, openSUSE (i've been using it ~ 2 years ago as total noob) and Fedora.

Thanks a lot! :)

43 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

gonna +1 on fedora here, and mention this:

put your /home folder on a seperate parititon (most linux distros ship with an installer that allows this to be done easily), so when you grow bored of one distro, you just reinstall on the root partition, point it to the /home partition (without formatting), and "distro-hop" without losing your personal data.