CPU suddenly overheating

Hey, my CPU was fine for a long time and it has had no hiccups (i3-4130) I had reapplied thermal paste about 2 months ago and i saw a great improvement and it has been fine for those 2 months until now. I was playing League of Legends and suddenly my frames were dropping and i look at my temps and instead of a usual 60 im at 105 (celcius). Any ideas as to why my cpu is suddenly overheating? Sorry for the poorly worded question. Thanks in advance :)

Okay so whatever you do.. Stop gaming for now. Those temps are way off the safe zone.

Which thermal paste did you use and was it in good condition? Too old? I would however go get some new thermal paste and apply it efter cleaning off the old.

Any noticeable fan noise increase? Wich Cooler you use ? Checked if the fan is still working? Some more info.

My advice is if you have the stock cooler ...get cheap (a cheap one should be enough for the i3) aftermarket cooler like the Hyper 212 EVO. And your golden.

But with 105°C something must be something way off, like a broken fan, not touching cooler, no paste ... or something similar dump but critical issue.

Or its a temperature reading bug or something that screw up with your fan speed till your CPU is really stuttering, set your fan  with speedfan 100% when idle and look if the temps are reasonable. If not you really have to get another CPU cooler.

7 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Okay so whatever you do.. Stop gaming for now. Those temps are way off the safe zone.

Which thermal paste did you use and was it in good condition? Too old? I would however go get some new thermal paste and apply it efter cleaning off the old.

I think i found the problem, after searching for a while i found a couple of people were having issues with the stock cooler becasue it could pop out of the socket that holds it. But the temps are good now but due to the fact the heatsink came off very very slightly, should i reapply thermal paste?

9 minutes ago, SweetOh said:

I think i found the problem, after searching for a while i found a couple of people were having issues with the stock cooler becasue it could pop out of the socket that holds it. But the temps are good now but due to the fact the heatsink came off very very slightly, should i reapply thermal paste?

Considering the heatsink got off the CPU - yes.

Basic rule is to always reapply new thermal paste if cooler is removed in any way.

EDIT:
Remember to clean the old TP off as well.