Help needed! :)

Hey :) I am planning to build a pc on a tight budget, given that I'm still just a college student. My friend told me to get a mobo that has a socket 1151. I don't really know what brand to get. I'm also planning to get an i5 processor. Any help on this matter? Thanks! :)

-CasvalRemDeikun

Are you planning to overclock? What defines a "tight" budget?

Please quote me if you are replying so that I get a notification. Also, mark my answer as "correct" if I've answered your question :)

Are you from US?

What's your budget? 1000$? 5000$? 10'000$ ?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

12 minutes ago, CasvalRemDeikun said:

Hey :) I am planning to build a pc on a tight budget, given that I'm still just a college student. My friend told me to get a mobo that has a socket 1151. I don't really know what brand to get. I'm also planning to get an i5 processor. Any help on this matter? Thanks! :)

-CasvalRemDeikun

Welcome to the forums 

The more information you provide the better we can help.

What is your budget?

What will the pc be primarily used for ?

What country are you from?

Do you need a windows license?

Do you need mouse keyboard and monitor? 

Any other specific requirement you need?

etc

etc

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Hey and welcome to the forum.

Please read this: 

And just follow it along (and you are in the wrong category - head over to "new builds & planning")

People can really help you out here, if you "feed" us with the right information suited for the question.

Have fun - regards

TheDuck

But...But what do you want to do?

Since most people are gaming here, I just assume that for now. I bought an i3 for my budget pc, which was mostly fine, but crippling some games to under 30 frames and even bottlenecking the pretty basic GTX 750Ti. So, I would recommend some quadcore with decent single core performance, which would be an i5.

Now, depending on what you define as "budget", this is really expensive. That's why I would recommend buying used parts from a few generations ago. I just got an i5-2500 (non k) for around 60 bucks, which is just a great value IMO. Paired that with the cheapest 30 Bucks OEM Mobo I could find on ebay :)

I mean, what do you really need? A socket, 2x Sata, Pci-E and 2 RAM slots...

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

Here are the details you needed: 

BUDGET: ~650 in USD (but I can work around it. I was planning to get a GTX 970 if I can fit it in.)

I would probably buy used, cheaper parts. 

USE: Gaming, thesis, other papers

AREA: I'm from Asia

PERIPHERALS: M/Kb won't be a problem. I would settle for some cheaper ones. I really don't like the expensive ones. I also would buy the software later on. 

10 minutes ago, CasvalRemDeikun said:

Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

Here are the details you needed: 

BUDGET: ~650 in USD (but I can work around it. I was planning to get a GTX 970 if I can fit it in.)

I would probably buy used, cheaper parts. 

USE: Gaming, thesis, other papers

AREA: I'm from Asia

PERIPHERALS: M/Kb won't be a problem. I would settle for some cheaper ones. I really don't like the expensive ones. I also would buy the software later on. 

you can get a 1060 6GB for the same price as a 970(at least where i'm from) so if you should buy that if it's around the same price. as for a 1151 socket, i don't think that will fit in you budget, because the motherboards are pretty expensive.