First High-End Build

1. Budget & Location

$3200, Texas

2. Aim

Gaming and Graphic Design.

3. Monitors

Unsure. Budgeted separate, I'm between a x34 or a multi display set up.

4. Peripherals

I need a mouse and keyboard, but they don't count against the budget.

5. Why are you upgrading?

Replacing several year old, low end build. This will be my first "High-End" build and I'm having trouble not being a kid in a candy store.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/JRDPzM

Thanks for any advice!

Edit: Oh yeah and the plan is to later upgrade to 2 1080s. 

Edited by aeternusanima
I'm forgetful

Im guessing the 250gb ssd is for games, the m2 for os and the 2tb drive is for storage and backup?

250gb isnt enough for games, a 500 would be better. 

The mobo is overpriced considering theres other options for a better price. 

A 6800k would handle your build now and future plans plus be a little cheaper.  For that price you could end up with a better build that uses the money in places that it really matter.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/DfVM3F

31 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Im guessing the 250gb ssd is for games, the m2 for os and the 2tb drive is for storage and backup?

That's the plan, although I bet you're right on the 500GB.

14 minutes ago, Miller1218 said:

That looks awesome! Would the 8 core be better than the 6 cores for graphic design programs such as photoshop? Enough to double the processor budget?

You're setting your money on fire with some of those components.

>get 6800K and cheaper X99 mobo and save $300-400

>a 280mm radiator at half the price will cool just as good - Kraken X61 or Corsair H115i

>why 2 250gb ssd's? just get a 1TB evo

>you don't need a hybrid drive when you already have an SSD

>if you're doing SLI stick to a regular cooler 1080, not sure if your case fits 280mm + 2x 120mm rads

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

1 minute ago, aeternusanima said:

I like the 2 1080s.

Would the 6850k be worth the extra $100 to have dual x16 SLI? What about overclocking the GPUs without liquid cooling?

Yeah, get the 6850k. The msi cards are good at oc'ing I believe 

1 minute ago, antisleep said:

>get 6800K and cheaper X99 mobo and save $300-400

>a 280mm radiator at half the price will cool just as good - Kraken X61 or Corsair H115i

>why 2 250gb ssd's? just get a 1TB evo

>you don't need a hybrid drive when you already have an SSD

>if you're doing SLI get a 1080 with regular cooler

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MDm64C

Near enough my build then? 

1 minute ago, antisleep said:

Yeah, I knew I was. That's why I came here. It's my first build with a budget over $600, hard not to want to just go crazy. May I ask the same question I asked George, would the 6850k be worth having dual x16 sli?

13 minutes ago, aeternusanima said:

Yeah, I knew I was. That's why I came here. It's my first build with a budget over $600, hard not to want to just go crazy. May I ask the same question I asked George, would the 6850k be worth having dual x16 sli?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/core-i7-6950x-6900k-6850k-and-6800k-processor-review,3.html

PCIe Lanes

The one thing that people grumble about the most is the relatively small number of available PCIe lanes (16) for graphics cards. If you are using a setup with two or more graphics cards (SLI/Crossfire), the PCIe bandwidth is limited at x8:x8. Here again the performance difference is trivial as running today's fastest cards barely utilizes all that bandwidth, but two x16 and then room for another x8 obviously is much better.

• The ten core Core i7 6950X has 40 lanes (PCIe Gen 3.0) available.
  • The eight core Core i7 6900K has 40 lanes (PCIe Gen 3.0) available.
  • The six core Core i7 6850K has 40 lanes (PCIe Gen 3.0) available.
  • The six core Core i7 6800K has 28 lanes (PCIe Gen 3.0) available.

You can split them up in a variety of combinations, two x16 links with one x8 link, one x16 link and three x8 links, or one x16 link, two x8 links, and two x4 links. So, some examples; Intel Core i7-6950X and Intel Core i7-6850K would support multiple graphics card configurations with the first two cards running at x16 speed and say a third one running at x8 speed. Meanwhile a Core i7-6800K would only support 1 x16 + 1 x8 + 1 x4 multiple graphics card configurations. Again, all are Gen 3.0 so really that is a lot (read plenty) of bandwidth.

>I mean if you really want it then sure. At your budget the ~$150 price premium from the 6800K is non issue. The $500 motherboard is the one that's too outrageous for me.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

I knew that the mobo was ridiculous. That part picker list was more first draft, high dollar placeholders. I like to estimate high, then decide after that. Makes some of these prices more palatable when they get lower as you go, instead of higher.

Sounds like I'm probably going with George's build, but the 6850k, maybe a few other tweaks. The build is far enough away, maybe I can catch some good sales in between times.

Thanks for the help everyone!

The difference in gaming with a GTX 1080 at x8 PCIe lanes and x16 is within the margin of error. http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus. In other words, getting an i7-6850 just to get x16 SLI is not cost effective.

I would suggest getting better performing memory and saving some on the motherboard. Performance differences between high-end same chipset motherboards are within margins of error.

Consider going with an all ssd system. And, a single large ssd rather than several smaller ones.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($428.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X 90.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($214.00) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($393.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($254.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($624.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($669.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: be quiet! DARK BASE PRO 900 | SILVER ATX Full Tower Case  ($228.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($98.99 @ My Choice Software) 
Total: $3024.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 10:27 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

9 minutes ago, aeternusanima said:

I knew that the mobo was ridiculous. That part picker list was more first draft, high dollar placeholders. I like to estimate high, then decide after that. Makes some of these prices more palatable when they get lower as you go, instead of higher.

Sounds like I'm probably going with George's build, but the 6850k, maybe a few other tweaks. The build is far enough away, maybe I can catch some good sales in between times.

Thanks for the help everyone!

DM me when you get the parts 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($428.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

^won't stop you if you want the 6850K just thought this would be more cost effective

^Userbenchmark: 6850K vs 6800K
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ B&H) 

^the X62 has recently been announced, should probably wait for that
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

^lacks a few bells&whistles but still has everything you need + red LEDs at half the price
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($304.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.69 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card  ($654.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

^any brand except EVGA right now
Case: be quiet! DARK BASE PRO 900 | SILVER ATX Full Tower Case  ($228.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($95.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2365.60

3 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/MDm64C

Near enough my build then? 

Idk, I liked his case + the LED mobo & ram. Also just 2 ram sticks on a mobo with 8 slots is gonna look empty.

11 minutes ago, aeternusanima said:

What about the Asus X99-A II?

I didn't particularly enjoy my last gigabyte board.

Both are great mobos for the price but that disturbs the red&white theme you got going on. You should get the white vengeance LED rams, and switch out your GPU to the 1080 STRIX to sync with the Asus AURA software within the board.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card  ($649.99 @ Newegg) 

Btw, 2 of your components come bundled with AAA games. Gears of War 4 for the GTX 1080 and Watch Dogs 2 for the SSD.

http://www.geforce.com/GEARSOFWAR4BUNDLE

SAMSUNG AND UBISOFT OFFER ‘WATCH DOGS 2’ FOR PC FREE WITH SELECT PRODUCTS

That's $120 worth of free shit, I wouldn't wait too long on those.

The red/white theme was actually unintentional lol.

40 minutes ago, antisleep said:

You should get the white vengeance LED rams, and switch out your GPU to the 1080 STRIX to sync with the Asus AURA software within the board.

They have Blue now too, according to Corsair's website. Might go for that. Swapped the 1080s, hadn't seen those. Thanks for the heads up on those bundles, the GoW4 one might get missed but I should be able to take advantage of the Watch Dogs 2.

2 hours ago, GeorgeKellow said:

DM me when you get the parts 

Will Do. It'll be awhile yet though. Late January, Early February.

Almost forgot about the peripherals.

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($159.99 @ Corsair) 

^Corsair's flagship keyboard, you're just gonna have to decide which switch you'd go for. I personally recommend MX Browns, tactile switches that aren't as loud as Blues.

Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($139.99 @ Corsair) 

^Pretty similar to the K70 w/ slightly different layout, doesn't have volume scroll wheel & media keys

Mouse: Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Optical Mouse  ($149.99 @ Best Buy) 

^The best wireless mouse out there, the responsiveness competes with wired mice

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 

^Great all around mouse, a bit heavy though
Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wired Optical Mouse  ($69.99 @ Best Buy) 

^This is more for serious fps players, only has the important buttons + the right weight and shape. Also check out the new Razer Deathadder Elite and Logitech G Pro if you're interested in this.