Media server (Plex advice)

I'm looking for some advice on Plex I already stream my media over the network but up until now I have not been using any programs for this rather simply just using port forwarding which has served my purpose as there is no transcoding involved giving me lossless streaming and uses less cpu power. This has worked for me very well and I have no problem streaming 4k content with latency free scrubbing although most of my media is in 1080p. My problem comes when I want to allow my mother to stream movies to her now tv box which can't have direct access to drives through port forwarding leaving me with one option Plex. I like the features of Plex but I don't want to trancode my media as there is a performance hit and my streaming pc also happens to be my gaming rig for the time being till I set up my dedicated ZFS server. I would like to avoid transcoding all together not only for the performance hit but also for the quality loss, I know that Plex does allow for direct streaming but from my understanding it is entirely up to plex as to whether or not it transcodes media while streaming. So my question is does anyone know of a way to only allow plex to do direct transcode free streaming sorry if this is simpler than I'm imagining as I have never used plex before and I have not had a chance to have a play about with it yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

I don't have an answer for you about plex, but rather a suggestion. What about getting your mother to buy/ or buy for her a cheap Android box instead that can stream the movies?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I would have to look it up, but you might be able to tell Plex to not transcode.  I have plex set up on a Server 2012R2 machine with a 4 core Atom CPU and 8GB of RAM, and Plex doesn't even make the server break a sweat.  My real problem is streaming my media over the internet considering I only have 5Mbps upload.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

6 minutes ago, MartinSnow said:

Thanks i'll have a read of this and see what it shows up.

6 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I don't have an answer for you about plex, but rather a suggestion. What about getting your mother to buy/ or buy for her a cheap Android box instead that can stream the movies?

I could do but she's pretty in love with this stupid now tv box I bought her.

5 minutes ago, ultimatemythbuster said:

I would have to look it up, but you might be able to tell Plex to not transcode.  I have plex set up on a Server 2012R2 machine with a 4 core Atom CPU and 8GB of RAM, and Plex doesn't even make the server break a sweat.  My real problem is streaming my media over the internet considering I only have 5Mbps upload.

That's something I was wondering about I'm assuming that streaming over the internet is part of the paid package of plex I have 20 up so this intrigues me how much does the package cost?-

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

14 minutes ago, MartinSnow said:

It seems you can turn it on or off but not have it exclusively be on.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

14 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

Thanks i'll have a read of this and see what it shows up.

I could do but she's pretty in love with this stupid now tv box I bought her.

That's something I was wondering about I'm assuming that streaming over the internet is part of the paid package of plex I have 20 up so this intrigues me how much does the package cost?-

You do not have to pay in order to stream over the internet.  There are certain features that require a paid Plex Pass, but just look up the features available with a Plex Pass to determine if you need those features.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

31 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

snip sorry quoted wrong post.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

6 minutes ago, ultimatemythbuster said:

You do not have to pay in order to stream over the internet.  There are certain features that require a paid Plex Pass, but just look up the features available with a Plex Pass to determine if you need those features.

Really that is a surprise that's good I hate paying monthly subscriptions also i made a mistake I only have 10 up but should be sufficient for single access streaming. I should really have a look through plex's webpage.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

2 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

snip sorry quoted wrong post.

I thought something odd had happened.xD

This is something I've been looking into a lot lately due to limited virtual system resources in a new deployment. From what I understand, Plex will direct play where possible however if the container or codec type isn't supported by the endpoint, it'll transcode it. Eg, MKV isn't supported on Chromecast so it gets transcoded. That sucks for me because a lot of my media library is MKV and the TV has a chromecast.

14 hours ago, moderategamer said:

I'm looking for some advice on Plex I already stream my media over the network but up until now I have not been using any programs for this rather simply just using port forwarding which has served my purpose as there is no transcoding involved giving me lossless streaming and uses less cpu power. This has worked for me very well and I have no problem streaming 4k content with latency free scrubbing although most of my media is in 1080p. My problem comes when I want to allow my mother to stream movies to her now tv box which can't have direct access to drives through port forwarding leaving me with one option Plex. I like the features of Plex but I don't want to trancode my media as there is a performance hit and my streaming pc also happens to be my gaming rig for the time being till I set up my dedicated ZFS server. I would like to avoid transcoding all together not only for the performance hit but also for the quality loss, I know that Plex does allow for direct streaming but from my understanding it is entirely up to plex as to whether or not it transcodes media while streaming. So my question is does anyone know of a way to only allow plex to do direct transcode free streaming sorry if this is simpler than I'm imagining as I have never used plex before and I have not had a chance to have a play about with it yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What's the exact model of the box you have at your mother's TV? It might support something like Kodi, which prefers local media but can be made to load from the network

Edit: I looked it up, I had not realized that "Now TV" was a brand, and that they made just one single Box product. So the question is going to be, what Apps are available for install on it? Any local/network media players other than Plex? 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

6 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

This is something I've been looking into a lot lately due to limited virtual system resources in a new deployment. From what I understand, Plex will direct play where possible however if the container or codec type isn't supported by the endpoint, it'll transcode it. Eg, MKV isn't supported on Chromecast so it gets transcoded. That sucks for me because a lot of my media library is MKV and the TV has a chromecast.

Go through the painful task of transcoding your library to mp4?

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Go through the painful task of transcoding your library to mp4?

Not at 500+ movies and 1400+ TV episodes :/

Even if I queued them to convert, I wouldn't have the storage overhead available at the moment.

16 hours ago, brwainer said:

What's the exact model of the box you have at your mother's TV? It might support something like Kodi, which prefers local media but can be made to load from the network

Edit: I looked it up, I had not realized that "Now TV" was a brand, and that they made just one single Box product. So the question is going to be, what Apps are available for install on it? Any local/network media players other than Plex? 

Unfortunately Now TV is a company owned by Sky so there are very few apps allowed the only way I can get plex on to it is by getting in to the developer console and sending the app over the network. 

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass