Slow Internet?

CosmicMeteor
Go to solution Solved by U.Ho,
1 hour ago, CosmicMeteor said:

Speed says 100Mbs.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me.

Your modem and motherboard both can do 1Gbps and your connection still gets only 100Mbps so @crashahotrod is probably on to something with trying a new cable.

Connection speed is something that's negotiated to a certain point, either 10 or 100 or 1000 and it usually remains fixed once negotiated. Your 100Mbps indicates your network devices (MoBo and modem) can't negotiate a 1Gpbs connection even though they both support it. Only thing in between is the cable as far as we know.

Just posting this to clarify in case OP is interested in learning as well as solving the issue. :)

Hey guys, So I currently have 150Mbs/Down and 150Mbs/Up and can easily achieve that on speedtest.net on my cell phone connected to 5g and also with my laptop.

But on my Desktop, I can't I am currently connected via Ethernet cable and average 40/40. I tried going wifi getting a Linksys AC1200 WUSB6300, and while that brought me up to 60/50 It still is not what I am expecting from my network.

What kind of solutions is there? I have very little experience with networks.

PC Specs are.

i7-4770k

GTX 980 Windforce

8GB Ram (Waiting on another 8GB dim to come in mail)

Windows 7 64 bit.

Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3

what model modem do you have?

I recently learned that some cant handle/support 100mbps speeds

also is your ethernet connection running at 1gbps or lower?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

What type of ethernet cable and how long is it? Should be labeled somewhere on it.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, mok said:

what model modem do you have?

I recently learned that some cant handle/support 100mbps speeds

also is your ethernet connection running at 1gbps or lower?

I have a T3200M The thing is I can get these speeds on my laptop and Phone.

How would I find out what its running at? 

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

What type of ethernet cable and how long is it? Should be labeled somewhere on it.

I never thought of the length causing the problem. It says Cat:6 I am trying to switch to wireless. The length is maybe 20Ft.

11 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

so he says cat6, and length shouldnt matter, im running 100ft cat5 and getting full speeds

10 minutes ago, CosmicMeteor said:

I have a T3200M The thing is I can get these speeds on my laptop and Phone.

How would I find out what its running at? 

right click on the internet icon in your taskbar > Opoen network and sharing center > click Connection : Local Area Connection , should say speed

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, mok said:

so he says cat6, and length shouldnt matter, im running 100ft cat5 and getting full speeds

right click on the internet icon in your taskbar > Opoen network and sharing center > click Connection : Local Area Connection , should say speed

Speed says 100Mbs.

Try using a known good cat 5e/ cat 6 cable. Length shouldn't matter but shorter is better. Make sure you are directly connecting to the modem with this known good cable

1 hour ago, CosmicMeteor said:

Speed says 100Mbs.

Your modem and motherboard both can do 1Gbps and your connection still gets only 100Mbps so @crashahotrod is probably on to something with trying a new cable.

Connection speed is something that's negotiated to a certain point, either 10 or 100 or 1000 and it usually remains fixed once negotiated. Your 100Mbps indicates your network devices (MoBo and modem) can't negotiate a 1Gpbs connection even though they both support it. Only thing in between is the cable as far as we know.

Just posting this to clarify in case OP is interested in learning as well as solving the issue. :)

3 hours ago, U.Ho said:

Thanks! Are there any good wifi solutions?

18 hours ago, U.Ho said:

I Just wanted to update you guys! A new Cat 6 Cable did the trick! I am now getting easily 100-150/100-150 :D Thank you so much everyone!