Will 10m HDMI cable suffer from quality loss?

Krzych

Hi,

To be quick, I will have my PC around 6m away from my monitor. Thats kind of unfortunate because there are many 5m and 10m cables but I can't really find anything like 6m/7m, so I will have to get 10m. Question is -  will such cable length affect my picture quality/smoothness? Talking about 3440x1440 60 Hz.

The only one reasonably priced and available for shipping before the world ends is Valueline High Speed HDMI™ z Ethernet HDMI™ 10m - VGVT34000B100 5412810237180

Thanks

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

It shouldn't degrade quality, though it kind of depends on signal strenght and build quality. Good cables can reach up to 15m witout losing anything.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Should overall be no issue, but don't spend too much on cables. As long as it is a high speed cable you are overall good to go. maybe the very cheapest from 1-2 bucks is a issue, but somethign like 10-15 bucks should still be fine.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

According to the HDMI specification, you can use cables up to 15m. From my experience, you can get some display issues with really cheap cables (the 5$ alibaba ones) over that distance. But if the cable isn't complete garbage, then go for it 

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

It does suffer from quality loss, unless you invest in a high-end cable.
As far as I know, you can get HDMI 2.0 to 7.5 meters without quality loss, but anything over that, you have to throw in those extra bucks.

And as always conflicting opinions :P I think I have found a way to make 5m cable barely reach the PC, very barely, so I will just go with 5m to be sure that everything will be okay.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

8 hours ago, Svubber said:

It does suffer from quality loss, unless you invest in a high-end cable.
As far as I know, you can get HDMI 2.0 to 7.5 meters without quality loss, but anything over that, you have to throw in those extra bucks.

No, it doesn't. There is no such thing as quality loss in a digital format. It will look exactly the same at any length, up until the point where it stops working entirely.

29 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

No, it doesn't. There is no such thing as quality loss in a digital format. It will look exactly the same at any length, up until the point where it stops working entirely.

Yes it does. At least on the cheap regular cables I am referring too, and not the high-end.

Some of my regular cables include these:
5m: https://www.av-cables.dk/hdmi-kabler/hdmi-kabel-5-m.html
7.5m: https://www.av-cables.dk/hdmi-kabler/hdmi-kabel-7-5-m.html
10m: https://www.av-cables.dk/hdmi-kabler/hdmi-kabel-10-m.html

Krzych is asking wether or not 10m will be smooth and can run 4k.
As you can see if you click the links above, these regular 2.0 cables will in this case support 4k, right up until they reach around 10m, then it drops to 1k.
The cables are from the same manufacturer, same materials, same price range.

And as always conflicting opinions :P I think I have found a way to make 5m cable barely reach the PC, very barely, so I will just go with 5m to be sure that everything will be okay.

All 7.5m cables I have bought, have had the same quality as the 5m cables, so just go for 7.5m, it will be the same, and then you won't have the "barely reachable issue".

4 minutes ago, Svubber said:

Yes it does. At least on the cheap regular cables I am referring too, and not the high-end.

Some of my regular cables include these:
5m: https://www.av-cables.dk/hdmi-kabler/hdmi-kabel-5-m.html
7.5m: https://www.av-cables.dk/hdmi-kabler/hdmi-kabel-7-5-m.html
10m: https://www.av-cables.dk/hdmi-kabler/hdmi-kabel-10-m.html

Krzych is asking wether or not 10m will be smooth and can run 4k.
As you can see if you click the links above, these regular 2.0 cables will in this case support 4k, right up until they reach around 10m, then it drops to 1k.
The cables are from the same manufacturer, same materials, same price range.

I wasn't talking about reductions in capability, I meant "loss in image quality" as in distortion, visual artifacts, stutter, etc. which you get with long cable runs on traditional interfaces like VGA or composite. That seemed to be what he was talking about. If you get a cable that can handle 4K 60 Hz at 10 meters, it won't look any different than 4K 60 Hz with a shorter cable.

digital signal is either there or not there. so it wont be a poor signal.. it will just not have one and stop working.

10m is fine. i have a 15m one from my server across the attic into my bedroom. no issues at all :)

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

I wasn't talking about reductions in capability, I meant "loss in image quality" as in distortion, visual artifacts, stutter, etc. which you get with long cable runs on traditional interfaces like VGA or composite. That seemed to be what he was talking about. If you get a cable that can handle 4K 60 Hz at 10 meters, it won't look any different than 4K 60 Hz with a shorter cable.

I figured we were talking past each other. :)