Failed boot after OC

Zack_Hill
Go to solution Solved by NeoFrux,
1 minute ago, Zack_Hill said:

Hello,

Windows works just fine with my SSD. So, how would I go about reinstalling windows on his PC? Thanks!

If his PC is self-built, you'll need to burn / create installation media for the version of Windows in question. The Windows Media Creation Tool can do that for you for Windows 10.

If his PC is an OEM PC like Acer, ASUS, etc, then depending on which it is, there should be a recovery partition that will allow him to fully restore to factory.

My friend recently attempted an overclock by 100mhz. The only setting he changed was the multiplier, where he went from 19.5 to 20. After changing the setting, the PC failed to boot. After that, he went back into the bios, changed the setting back to 19.5, yet it still fails to boot. The only thing that happens is the windows logo popping up for half a second follow by a black screen and a cursor. Oddly, he was able to sign into windows boy hovering over the middle of the screen where the text box would be and entering his password. We know he successfully signs in because the small blue circle next to the cursor appears. Next, we took the CMOS battery out and waited for around 3 minutes. We then turned the computer on, and it recognized that the bios was reset. We then told it to boot with default settings, only to get to the same black screen with a cursor. 

His CPU: AMD FX-6350

His GPU - R9 290

He also has a gigabyte board.

3 hours ago, Zack_Hill said:

My friend recently attempted an overclock by 100mhz. The only setting he changed was the multiplier, where he went from 19.5 to 20. After changing the setting, the PC failed to boot. After that, he went back into the bios, changed the setting back to 19.5, yet it still fails to boot. The only thing that happens is the windows logo popping up for half a second follow by a black screen and a cursor. Oddly, he was able to sign into windows boy hovering over the middle of the screen where the text box would be and entering his password. We know he successfully signs in because the small blue circle next to the cursor appears. Next, we took the CMOS battery out and waited for around 3 minutes. We then turned the computer on, and it recognized that the bios was reset. We then told it to boot with default settings, only to get to the same black screen with a cursor. 

His CPU: AMD FX-6350

His GPU - R9 290

He also has a gigabyte board.

Try taking the mother board battery out for about 5 mins. You will need to change the data and time on the bios after you have put the battery back in and boot the computer.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

7 hours ago, fixitnow said:

Try taking the mother board battery out for about 5 mins. You will need to change the data and time on the bios after you have put the battery back in and boot the computer.

Hi. We already did this... but didn't change the time. Is that the issue?

4 minutes ago, Zack_Hill said:

Hi. We already did this... but didn't change the time. Is that the issue?

It could be. Try changing it. The only other thing you could try is to reinstall windows. Take the HDD/ssd from your pc and put it in his and see if you have the same issue. If your os works in his pc then he need to reinstall windows. If not then try using the graphics on the motherboard to try and rule things out. Hope that helps?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Strange. I don't think this is related to the CPU if you can actually interact with Windows after it boots (but just can't see anything but the mouse cursor). What version of Windows are you running? If 7, can you enter Safe Mode by holding the F8 key at startup? Or if 8-10, you can try resetting the PC a couple of times while it's still loading up to access the advanced startup menu to get to Safe Mode. If it boots into Safe Mode, try removing your graphics drivers (and any OC software) entirely, then reboot into normal mode and reinstall them.

1 hour ago, fixitnow said:

It could be. Try changing it. The only other thing you could try is to reinstall windows. Take the HDD/ssd from your pc and put it in his and see if you have the same issue. If your os works in his pc then he need to reinstall windows. If not then try using the graphics on the motherboard to try and rule things out. Hope that helps?

Hi. I will try this now.

34 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Hello,

Windows works just fine with my SSD. So, how would I go about reinstalling windows on his PC? Thanks!

1 minute ago, Zack_Hill said:

Hello,

If his PC is self-built, you'll need to burn / create installation media for the version of Windows in question. The Windows Media Creation Tool can do that for you for Windows 10.

If his PC is an OEM PC like Acer, ASUS, etc, then depending on which it is, there should be a recovery partition that will allow him to fully restore to factory.

7 minutes ago, Runefox said:

Hello,

His pc is self built, so we'll go with that method. Thank you so much with all the help! I'll reply back if I need anything else!