Which DSLR?

Yuiii
Go to solution Solved by Yuiii,

In the end, I went with the 700D!

Thanks for all the advice everyone, so happy with the result!

(This is marked as Solved so that people know what I chose)

~Jaffa~

I'm not a Canon person, but with Nikon a higher number usually means slightly better, so if these cameras are similarly spec'd I'd go with the bigger number if it's only a £10 difference. 

EDIT: I reread the question, I see the lower numbered camera comes with a telephoto lens, in that case I'm not sure, is that lens expensive on it's own? Will you use that lens?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

1 minute ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I'm not a Canon person, but with Nikon a higher number usually means slightly better, so if these cameras are similarly spec'd I'd go with the bigger number if it's only a £10 difference. 

The 700D is a better camera, just wondering if it is still worth it when you get a 75-300mm as well with the 100D

Just now, berzerk_jaffa123 said:

The 700D is a better camera, just wondering if it is still worth it when you get a 75-300mm as well with the 100D

Well, would you use the 75-300mm?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

The 100D is very basic, the 700D is a lot better.
But at the same time, lens makes more of a difference than body.
You can also get the 700D without the kitlens (18-55) and buy a different lens.
That's what I did ( but a 750D in my case)

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

Well, would you use the 75-300mm?

I would, but part of me wants to save up and get a decent zoom lens.

Just now, Wyzzy Moon said:

The 100D is very basic, the 700D is a lot better.
But at the same time, lens makes more of a difference than body.

I'm thinking of that but it'd be nice to get a kit lens, something to get me started I suppose

5 minutes ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

Yup, I did the same, bought the body (760D), and a first lens, nifty fifty in my case, then invested in more glass later down the line. It helps understanding what you can and can't do with a specific focal/aperture range, and invest incrementaly as you want to make progress and try new things. 

I think I would have got borded very quiclky if I had it all at once.

But to each his own, if you just want to get things done at once (family/travel photog), then it might indeed make more sense to cover as much focal lenght as possible.

Just now, berzerk_jaffa123 said:

I'm thinking of that but it'd be nice to get a kit lens, something to get me started I suppose

If you know what you want to use it for than I'd say don't get a kit lens but get a lens fit for your usecase. But if you want to experiment a bit and find out that you like, than use the kitlens for a while. But that I'd get the 700D because otherwise you might be paying a lot for a lens that may be not right for you

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Just now, Wyzzy Moon said:

If you know what you want to use it for than I'd say don't get a kit lens but get a lens fit for your usecase. But if you want to experiment a bit and find out that you like, than use the kitlens for a while. But that I'd get the 700D because otherwise you might be paying a lot for a lens that may be not right for you

I am getting this camera for my birthday and, already, both of them are stretching my budget. When I buy lenses, I would rather buy a lens a year (or longer) and get a high end one (so that I can keep my lenses when I upgrade my camera)

I have the 100D and the size is great and it's great and the hybrid cmos is amazing. I bought the one with the 2 kits like you plan to buy. But I bought it from canon certified refurbished and it's a great price.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/rebel-sl1-ef-s-18-55mm-is-stm-ef-75-300mm-stm-kit-refurbished

I've had no problem with refurbished gear, and I've had some say they're more reliable because they go through more testing before they are sold.

My GTX 970 carries me to global.

I must have used my 90-300 10 times in almost 10 years of ownership, the 17-40mm I got recently on the other hand, doesn't leave my camera. A 50mm would be much more useful in my opinion. 

Get the 700D, its a much better body than the 100D, much better value. Then wait and look at what you need, unless you do sports or portraits, tele lenses are not that useful, even though its a common misconception amongst people who don't know much. 

The kit lens is cheap enough to not care to store away once you inevitably go for something like a versatile L lens. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

In the end, I went with the 700D!

Thanks for all the advice everyone, so happy with the result!

(This is marked as Solved so that people know what I chose)

~Jaffa~