Is a factory unlocked LG V20 compatiable with verizon?

Bajantechnician

I know all about the gsm, cdma thing.

Just wondering of a factory unlocked ( not 3rd party unlocked) LG v20 will be able to work with verizon wireless.

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure most smartphones have the proper radios to talk to any network.  It's the individual networks that lock them down to a specific set of networks.  

I'm pretty sure that if you get one from LG, it'll work on CDMA or GSM.  I suggest doing more checking, though.  To be sure.

Happen to know anywhere one could find a significant discount on one of those?  I'd really like a V20, myself!

2 hours ago, Hybrid Divide said:

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure most smartphones have the proper radios to talk to any network.

Unfortunately no, until just a few years ago it was almost unheard of for a single phone, even a dual sim phone, to support CDMA and GSM. Today, there are quite a few phones that do, but not most! This is not a good rule of thumb, people should defintly check to see if the phone they want is cross compatible. 

As far as networks blocking/allowing phones goes, the GSM carriers pretty much always allow a GSM phone to work, as long as the phone is unlocked, it's not marked as lost/stolen, and it has the physical ability to connect to their GSM bands (the major two in the US AT&T and T-Mobile share some bands but also have some exclusively). In fact, T-Mobile in particular is known for allowing customers to use 'incompatible' GSM phones that only partially support the network, since they still get some of the bands and for some customers that's good enough.

CDMA, in theory, could work the same way, but in practice all three major CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular) have a white list of devices, and may or may not add your device to the white list at their own discretion, even if it is 100% compatible.

The LG V20 does have a CDMA version, but it is a separate model, there doesn't seem to be a single LG V20 with both GSM and CDMA (I could be wrong about that, but Mr.Google couldn't find anything specifically stating one phone could support both, I could only find GSM OR CDMA versions) but even if you got an unlocked CDMA LG V20 Verizon could decline to add it to their network's white list. Would they? I would guess yes, since they are the dicks of the mobile world...   

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

On 10/30/2016 at 3:57 PM, Hybrid Divide said:

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure most smartphones have the proper radios to talk to any network.  It's the individual networks that lock them down to a specific set of networks.  

I'm pretty sure that if you get one from LG, it'll work on CDMA or GSM.  I suggest doing more checking, though.  To be sure.

Happen to know anywhere one could find a significant discount on one of those?  I'd really like a V20, myself!

I only know of the "discount" you get when buying a phone and putting service on it :(

cdma and gsm is not compatiable unfortunately

On 10/30/2016 at 6:34 PM, Squirrel724 said:

Specs show you have to buy the Verizon version to get support for Verizons network.

Thats what i thought...

cant find any cdma versions on ebay or amazon

On 10/30/2016 at 6:39 PM, Xanthe_2871 said:

Unfortunately no, until just a few years ago it was almost unheard of for a single phone, even a dual sim phone, to support CDMA and GSM. Today, there are quite a few phones that do, but not most! This is not a good rule of thumb, people should defintly check to see if the phone they want is cross compatible. 

As far as networks blocking/allowing phones goes, the GSM carriers pretty much always allow a GSM phone to work, as long as the phone is unlocked, it's not marked as lost/stolen, and it has the physical ability to connect to their GSM bands (the major two in the US AT&T and T-Mobile share some bands but also have some exclusively). In fact, T-Mobile in particular is known for allowing customers to use 'incompatible' GSM phones that only partially support the network, since they still get some of the bands and for some customers that's good enough.

CDMA, in theory, could work the same way, but in practice all three major CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular) have a white list of devices, and may or may not add your device to the white list at their own discretion, even if it is 100% compatible.

The LG V20 does have a CDMA version, but it is a separate model, there doesn't seem to be a single LG V20 with both GSM and CDMA (I could be wrong about that, but Mr.Google couldn't find anything specifically stating one phone could support both, I could only find GSM OR CDMA versions) but even if you got an unlocked CDMA LG V20 Verizon could decline to add it to their network's white list. Would they? I would guess yes, since they are the dicks of the mobile world...   

I believe the verizon iphone 6s has gsm and cdma compatiability.* straight from in store verizon rep*

and yes, i know about the whitelist. Im pretty sure they wont whitelist phones as well, but i do know they will unlock theirs after your service contract is done and you ask them to. Itll still be only compatiabel to cdma, unless you get one with dual cdma and gsm.

Im just looking for a v20 with unlocked cdma compatiablility.

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Im pretty sure they wont whitelist phones as well, Im just looking for a v20 with unlocked cdma compatiablility.

There are unlocked CDMA LG V20's here, but if Verizon won't activate it then what's the point? 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xunlocked+lg+v20+cdma.TRS0&_nkw=unlocked+lg+v20+cdma&_sacat=0

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

On 10/30/2016 at 6:57 PM, Xanthe_2871 said:

There are unlocked CDMA LG V20's here, but if Verizon won't activate it then what's the point? 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xunlocked+lg+v20+cdma.TRS0&_nkw=unlocked+lg+v20+cdma&_sacat=0

True.

Are there any v20s out there that i can purchase not from verizon itself?

9 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

True.

Are there any v20s out there that i can purchase not from verizon itself?

That would work on Verizon? I don't think so. 

Maybe you should ditch Verizon...

On 10/30/2016 at 7:52 PM, Xanthe_2871 said:

That would work on Verizon? I don't think so. 

Maybe you should ditch Verizon...

lmao.

rip

cant though, my parents are on verizon because my dad needs its coverage. he drives a truck, and with t mobile, theres no service in the long beach port

33 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

lmao.

rip

cant though, my parents are on verizon because my dad needs its coverage. he drives a truck, and with t mobile, theres no service in the long beach port

Honestly it may still be cheaper to have a separate plan with T-Mobile even with Verizon's bundles. 

45 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Honestly it may still be cheaper to have a separate plan with T-Mobile even with Verizon's bundles. 

true.

Thats what i believe, but my dadsthe one paying the bill and he wont stand for a "seperate bill because itll be more expensive"

37 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

true.

Thats what i believe, but my dadsthe one paying the bill and he wont stand for a "seperate bill because itll be more expensive"

Hmm. That's unfortunate. :(