Work Laptop

Hi,

I have no idea, how to get the great Linus to read this... but I have entertained myself with your youtube chanel a great deal! And my question is...

Can Somebody advise re a work laptop...

budget 1200 (EUR)

I want to run autocad, but as a novice, and to become better at it...

Same with Photoshop

And I would like to use the windows 10 virtual multiple desktops thing (That I have never used before...) And work on multiple projects in each...

(I am kicking myself that I has to be a laptop...)

I like the idea of a 17 inch over a 15...

No optical drive....

Could handle a cheeky tomb raider game or DOTA!!! in the hotels...

(then the elephant in the room re questions is...

Quadro? Really? I am not that much of a pro... and expensive...

the maxwell vs the pascal? the 960m vs the 970m... I could even for a couple hundred more, perhaps go for a 1070 in a LAPTOP wow... worth it?

just to much info left right and center.., and I realise it is most likely behind the scenes stuff that I dont understand... there was even a google result with the title gtx970m not using the dedicated memory with autocad...but that is faulty I hope! WHere to go...

Please USA, and you Linus, could you help me on this topic...

12 minutes ago, PvK1312 said:

SNIP

Welcome to the forums. There is very little chance of Mr. Tech Tips himself reading your post but lots of other (likely more helpful) people will be happy to assist.

Ill start off by saying that I don't have a specific laptop to recommend but I can give you some guidelines.

You have to decide on size and weight first. This will dictate the kinds of laptops you look at (gaming, ultrabook, standard laptop, etc) You gotta decide if you want this thing to actually be portable, or whether you want it to be "portable" in the sense that it CAN be packed into a large backpack but not something you'll want to do daily.

Next, Quardo is out of your budget. You wont find a worthwhile laptop with Quardo under $2000. Also mobile Quadro isn't even as good as Pascal GTX cards for productivity anymore, let alone gaming.

Lastly, Windows 10 virtual desktops are just a part of windows 10, nothing to do with your specific laptop (press alt+tab to access them)

Any laptop with a dedicated GPU should be able to handle those games no problem, maybe with medium-low settings in tomb raider depending on the exact model.

When in doubt, re-format.

3 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Welcome to the forums. There is very little chance of Mr. Tech Tips himself reading your post but lots of other (likely more helpful) people will be happy to assist.

Ill start off by saying that I don't have a specific laptop to recommend but I can give you some guidelines.

You have to decide on size and weight first. This will dictate the kinds of laptops you look at (gaming, ultrabook, standard laptop, etc) You gotta decide if you want this thing to actually be portable, or whether you want it to be "portable" in the sense that it CAN be packed into a large backpack but not something you'll want to do daily.

Next, Quardo is out of your budget. You wont find a worthwhile laptop with Quardo under $2000. Also mobile Quadro isn't even as good as Pascal GTX cards for productivity anymore, let alone gaming.

Lastly, Windows 10 virtual desktops are just a part of windows 10, nothing to do with your specific laptop (press alt+tab to access them)

Any laptop with a dedicated GPU should be able to handle those games no problem, maybe with medium-low settings in tomb raider depending on the exact model.

Thank you, I am thinking this one...

https://www.pccomponentes.com/msi-gs72-6qe-412xes-stealth-pro-i7-6700hq-16gb-1tb-128ssd-gtx970m-17-3--

3 minutes ago, PvK1312 said:

Yea, that thing looks pretty baller to me. Only thing is that GTX970M. Still a fantastic GPU, but the new 10 series are way better. That being said, there will ALWAYS be something newer and better out in a maximum of 6 months.

And ohh yea, forgot to mention, when asking for buying help, always include what country youre from because that changes where you can buy stuff from.

Also, Linus is not from the USA.

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Yea, that thing looks pretty baller to me. Only thing is that GTX970M. Still a fantastic GPU, but the new 10 series are way better. That being said, there will ALWAYS be something newer and better out in a maximum of 6 months.

Then this one?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/173-scan-3xs-lg17-vengeance-g-sync-gtx-1070-core-i7-6700hq-16gb-ddr4-240gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-win-10

but ugh the price... do i justify it? I'll be getting better and better at the autocad stuff... ... IDK...

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

And ohh yea, forgot to mention, when asking for buying help, always include what country youre from because that changes where you can buy stuff from.

Also, Linus is not from the USA.

I am from europe really. hope from spain, france, eng and deutchland...

what is he? Canadian? Ha He's CANADIAN! "like" Les Canadiens!

1 minute ago, PvK1312 said:

Then this one?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/173-scan-3xs-lg17-vengeance-g-sync-gtx-1070-core-i7-6700hq-16gb-ddr4-240gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-win-10

but ugh the price... do i justify it? I'll be getting better and better at the autocad stuff... ... IDK...

The first one you posted is just fine, the second one is just better though. Chances are the biggest difference between those would only really be seen in gaming. The only way to justify that extra cost is "because I can." If you are tight on cash, I wouldn't bother with the pricier one then.

he said Europe

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

go to Dell website and look at inspiron and XPS models, the 17" might be out of your price limit.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

he said Europe

1. Europe is not a country.

2. He specified countries in response to the post you just quoted.

7 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

The first one you posted is just fine, the second one is just better though. Chances are the biggest difference between those would only really be seen in gaming. The only way to justify that extra cost is "because I can." If you are tight on cash, I wouldn't bother with the pricier one then.

thanks

1. Europe is not a country.

Europe is a union of nations with a standard currency, free trade and unrestricted movement. The same way UK is not a country but a union of countries and a standard currency. Read his response and you will see his 'country' is effectively the european union. This isn't the first time iv had to teach a north american about geography, international economics & politics. somethings wrong with the education in your continent.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Europe is a union of nations with a standard currency, free trade and unrestricted movement. The same way UK is not a country but a union of countries and a standard currency. Read his response and you will see his 'country' is effectively the european union. This isn't the first time iv had to teach a north american about geography, international economics & politics. somethings wrong with the education in your continent.

Now now...

I am a british citizen and a french national, with a german father. At heart a European, which is what really counts... Currently applying for german nationaly with Britain stripping me of being able to be an ACTUAL European in a couple of years, rather pi#sing me off, as I couldn't be more European really... All due to the common folks wanting to shut borders to immigration.

Now back to Laptops...

I'll look more into the dells. baring in mind I'd lie a 17inch.

1 minute ago, PvK1312 said:

I'll look more into the dells. baring in mind I'd lie a 17inch.

are you sure you want the 17? i had trouble fitting a 15" into my backpack. the 17" Inspiron is so much more expensive. I mentioned the XPS because people seem to love them.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

are you sure you want the 17? i had trouble fitting a 15" into my backpack. the 17" Inspiron is so much more expensive. I mentioned the XPS because people seem to love them.

I'm going to check tomorrow at a store the difference between those sizes and make a final decision. 

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

I don't get what your beef is.

I know very well what a country is, and Europe is not one. While I may currently live in Canada, I can assure you that I was born in Europe, and understand what a union of countries is. Natural born Canadians also understand this.

Specifying his budget in terms of euros does not mean that he necessarily lives in an EU country, as it is easier to specify budget in terms of a currency that lots of people understand instead of a local currency. Also, being in the EU doesn't necessarily mead that every site is the same. If you are in Spain and ordering something from a store in Sweeden, chances are that your shipping is gonna cost a lot more than if you order something from Spain directly.

Lastly, at no point did his original post say "I'm in the EU", that was a response to my asking him where he is.

Don't be a dick, and actually bring something useful or funny to the convo or don't post all.

23 hours ago, PvK1312 said:

I'm going to check tomorrow at a store the difference between those sizes and make a final decision. 

you are right 15 inch is fine! thx