VLC plugin VLSub crashes constantly

Nineshadow

The story goes like this: I've switched from BS Player to VLC half a year ago since I came across some H265 files I needed to play and BS Player couldn't handle those; I've been pretty happy with VLC, and I've always used it in combination with the VLSub plugin which looks for subtitles based on the file's hash, name or specified parameters. Anyway, the problem I've been facing over the past week is that it simply doesn't work anymore. Every time I open it and try to search for subtitles or even access the configuration of the plugin, it simply freezes and crashes the entire VLC player. This behaviour started happening pretty much all of a sudden. I've tried reinstalling but that didn't help with anything and I've also tested it on a different computer, only to come up with the same result.

Any thoughts?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Hi Nineshadow. I don't have a solution but can confirm that I have the same issue on both Win and Linux.

I made no updates to VLC or VLSub so assume it is an OpenSubtitles.org change.

A search reveals this... https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15823&p=35855&hilit=vlsub#p35855

When I have some time I will see if I can update the code on GitHub

Current Work-Around I found is to add this line to your host files.

92.240.234.122  api.opensubtitles.org

this should fix it. Don't forget to delete this entry once new VLSub is released

"THE BEST WAY TO FIND YOURSELF IS TO LOSE YOURSELF IN THE SERVICE OF OTHERS"

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-6402P 2.8GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-S2 RAM: HyperX 8 GB, Corsair Vengence 8 GB

Storage: Crucial MX500 1TB, Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD, WD Blue 2TB HDD, Toshiba 4TB GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060