AsRock X99 Extreme4 CSM

Go to solution Solved by Alim,
3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Will it interfere with my Windows 10 installation (which was done on a MBR partition)

It will

You should have installed Windows in UEFI mode, but there's no reason to reinstall since there no difference in daytoday usage

Do I need to disable it in order for my GTX 1060 to work properly? Because I am getting some very weird issues (it doesn't detect the GPU when HDMI and DVI are plugged in simultaneously)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

It shouldn't affect HDMI, but it's better to disable it to get better boot times and security

Using Tapatalk

Just now, Alim Naizabek said:

It shouldn't affect HDMI, but it's better to disable it to get better boot times and security

Will it interfere with my Windows 10 installation (which was done on a MBR partition)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It will

You should have installed Windows in UEFI mode, but there's no reason to reinstall since there no difference in daytoday usage

Using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Alim Naizabek said:

It will

If I set only the video card mode to UEFI only, will I have any issues?

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

There's no videocard uefi mode. Try it all settings are reversible

Using Tapatalk

There's no videocard uefi mode. Try it all settings are reversible

Actually, on my board, there is a video card thing (I don't remember the exact name) and I can change it to Legacy only, UEFI only, or Legacy and UEFI(which causes issues for me)

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

UEFI (CSM disabled) is definitely the way to go.  I'd recommend you reinstall Windows with CSM disabled prior to booting from your UEFI install device.

The only issue I ran into with UEFI was enabling SLI.  It required two attempts the first time to set it instead of the usual click and go.  All subsequent times, it set on the first try.

UEFI is generally faster at booting, which is already long on x99.  :dry:

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

UEFI (CSM disabled) is definitely the way to go.  I'd recommend you reinstall Windows with CSM disabled prior to from your UEFI install device.

The only issue I ran into with UEFI was enabling SLI.  It required two attempts the first time to set it instead of the usual click and go.  All subsequent times, it set on the first try.

UEFI is generally faster at booting.

I wouldn't like to reinstall Windows at this point... Is there any other way to enable it without reinstalling? (Because, it looks like disabling CSM it is the only way to not have issues with the GTX 1060)

I wouldn't like to reinstall Windows at this point... Is there any other way to enable it without reinstalling? (Because, it looks like disabling CSM it is the only way to not have issues with the GTX 1060)

CSM shouldn't affect GPU outputs

Using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Alim Naizabek said:

CSM shouldn't affect GPU outputs

I have read that the new GTX 10xx cards only work with UEFI... If you use legacy BIOS/Mode they will not work correctly....

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I wouldn't like to reinstall Windows at this point? Is there any other way to enable it without reinstalling? (Because, it looks like disabling CSM it is the only way to not have issues with the GTX 1060)

During benchmarks, I've used a DVI monitor in conjunction with a HDMI monitor while running in CSM mode and had no issues.  

I have since gone away from CSM altogether due to the fact that UEFI is a better.

If anything, CSM is more flexible so I can't understand why you'd have issues running both.

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Is there any other way to enable it without reinstalling? (Because, it looks like disabling CSM it is the only way to not have issues with the GTX 1060)

I have read that the new GTX 10xx cards only work with UEFI... If you use legacy BIOS/Mode they will not work correctly....

Kinda sounds like you know what you should do.  :D

Just now, done12many2 said:

During benchmarks, I've used a DVI monitor in conjunction with a HDMI monitor while running in CSM mode and had no issues.  

I have since gone away from CSM altogether due to the fact that UEFI is a better.

If anything, CSM is more flexible so I can't understand why you'd have issues running both.

Idk as well.... When I turn on my PC with HDMI and DVI plugged in simultaneously, it doesn't detect the GPU (Something that never happens with my GTX 950...) Is it possible that I need to update my BIOS?

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Idk as well.... When I turn on my PC with HDMI and DVI plugged in simultaneously, it doesn't detect the GPU (Something that never happens with my GTX 950...) Is it possible that I need to update my BIOS?

Sure it's possible, but I seriously doubt that's it.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Sure it's possible, but I seriously doubt that's it.

What could it be? This issue only occurs while the PC is booting up, if I plug in HDMI only and then, after Windows has booted, plug in the DVI it works no problem! Then when I shut down my PC and turn it back on I get 5 beeps (no video card installed)

Have you tried setting all CSM settings to UEFI first?

No... I will try that as soon as I get the card back, I have returned it to the shop (in case there was a problem with the card itself). They will test it and replace it if it is broken or give it back to me if it works perfectly fine (on their machine).... Is it possible that the card itself is broken? (Since the GTX 950 has no such issues whatsoever)

No... I will try that as soon as I get the card back, I have returned it to the shop (in case there was a problem with the card itself). They will test it and replace it if it is broken or give it back to me if it works perfectly fine (on their machine).... Is it possible that the card itself is broken? (Since the GTX 950 has no such issues whatsoever)

Again, sure it's possible, but I doubt it.  

I think you really need to consider reinstalling Windows in complete UEFI.  You have a enthusiast setup and it really doesn't make sense to run CSM unless you have a specific need to do so.  That's like buying a Ferrari and putting old tires on it.  :D

Again, sure it's possible, but I doubt it.  

I think you really need to consider reinstalling Windows in complete UEFI.  You have a enthusiast setup and it really doesn't make sense to run CSM unless you have a specific need to do so.  That's like buying a Ferrari and putting old tires on it.  :D

I know, I am just way too bored to reinstall Windows xD, I will try to boot without the SSD installed and see if it works, if it works, then I need to reinstall Windows... I will report back, as soon as I get the card back.... (I do hope that I can find a fix for it, because that card was pretty good! It reached 2.000MHz with NO tweaking whatsoever!)

@done12many2 Is there an other way to convert a partition from MBR to CPT? (except for reinstalling Windows)

@done12many2 Is there an other way to convert a partition from MBR to CPT? (except for reinstalling Windows)

It's possible to convert MBR to GPT and install windows without formatting. Your data will be moved to windows.old

Using Tapatalk

It's possible to convert MBR to GPT and install windows without formatting. Your data will be moved to windows.old

Data isn't the issue, it's on a separate drive... (2 to be exact :D) I want to keep all of my programs (because I don't want to reinstall them) Is that possible?

@done12many2, @Alim Naizabek I updated the motherboard's BIOS and that seems to have fixed my issue! I had a very old version and it probably didn't properly recognize the GTX 1060.... Thx for the help!