New gamer pc

tombstone

Hey all!

i'm planning on getting a new, mostly gamer pc, witch hopefully will last a couple of years.

i assemble a couple of things, but dont know if it is totally overkill, or actually a good build.

was hoping a kind soul could help me-

Following goes into my old and trusted Cosmos S.

Cpu: Core i7 3820

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79

Ram: Corsair Domminator 4x4

Gpu: Asus GTX 680 4GB

Psu: Corsair AX1200i

Sound card: Creative Sound blaster Z

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB

i've used a lot of time, going back and forth between GTX 660 TI - GTX 670 and the 680, and my thought was, that the 680 would last me longer,

and go SLI if needed in the futur.

Am i way off?? Please help.

Best Regards

I could see a better setup if chose two 128GB SSD drives in raid 0 and go with a 1 or 2 TB storage option for the same price as the single you have selected. You will get faster performance (around 1 GB/s transfer for read/write on the ssd).

What monitor setup will you have (Single/Dual/Triple)?

If your going to be buying before the end of March, it might be worth getting the unlocked processor ("k" series) which you can overclock when your comfortable with it.

You could also consider changing your motherboard to the ASRock X79 Extreme 6, at a cheaper price with a support for higher end memory. (I don't have a lot of experience with ASRock except recently and its been good so far).

Depending on what you plan to do with the sound card, you may not need it. Be sure to check out your motherboard specs spdif and audio options completely (I haven't bought a sound card in 8 years, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro was my last)

Last thing I could say would be a case, but it just depends. If you like your current case then there is no way I could convince you anything else is better. If it is worth your time, I recently bought the CFI Diablo LT case, which is very nice imo.

well this is a system that editors will use to render extensive 3D work so I would say over kill until I saw the Crysis 3 going all out personally depends on the games you play and how big of a resolution you go. If you play to stay at 1080p one 660 Ti would be enough anything higher I highly recommend going 680 or 600 Ti

think my monitor setup will be mostly single, maybe dual/triple some day, but now right away.

I have deleted the sound card from my list now :)

I would like to know a little more about that SSD raid, i have always used a hdd to store my OS, and then a septate hdd to store my games on,

also i´m using a Synology ds409+ to store everything else

Dont think im quit ready to part ways with my case (Cosmos S), just yet, but maybe a cosmos 2 some day :)

About my GPU, i usually play my games all maxed out, so i think il stay with the 680

Really appreciate the help guys, gives me alot to work with.

With the old mechanical drives, it was always a good idea to have a backup of your OS drive and then of your game drive because they could crash. The SSD drives bring a little more because there is less chance of failure on them. You won't wear it down as much basically.

Running an SSD in raid is only supported from what I understand right now by the Intel 7 series chipsets. I have only recently looked into it, but basically a raid 0 is two drives molded together for the combined total and transfer speeds. So if you get two drives that have a read/write of 500 mb/s you essentially get a 1 gb/s data transfer rate for your drive, which in turn gives you a 2 second (hypothetical more like 10s) boot time from pressing the power button to OS load. Which helps with loading your games and the like.

A lot of this comes down to identifying your bottlenecks though. If you drive is loading extremely fast but your limited by your dialup connection, then a 1 gb/s data transfer for your drives when connecting to an online game would be overkill and you would have wasted resources.

You should definitely do some research on Raid modes, because there are plenty for redundancy and speed/performance increase.

From what I understand about the multi-monitor setup more memory makes for a better level of performance.

If this is purely for gaming I see a lot of money being wasted. I will post what I would recommend when I get to my PC instead of trying to post from my tablet.

\

If this is purely for gaming I see a lot of money being wasted. I will post what I would recommend when I get to my PC instead of trying to post from my tablet.

Great, i'm totally open for suggestion

Would i gain anything by running a ssd with my old 1t hdd in raid0, or is that just stupid

Not really. You can only get the equal value from a raid 0 config. So if you raid a 500 gb with a 1 tb, you would only get 1 tb. You would then have to provision the other 500 gb as a normal drive. (Keep in mind the system reserved space for mechanical drives)

That is why I would just suggest those 128 gb in raid 0, so you don't have the wasted space. Getting two of the same drives is the foolproof way of not wasting.

It's all a preference thing though. You will get the lasting of the system for future game releases if you invest now, but the question is how much do you want to spend now and when do you want to upgrade again.

Well, im willing to invest now, cos i want a system, that will last for the next couple of years.

just got rid of my old gaming pc, that have served me for the last 6 years.

it did not fail horrible, running Crysis 3, there was room for improvement..

And after 6 years, i kind of want something new..

I think I do recall Linus mentioning in his 3570k vs 8350 showdown about games moving towards or when they move towards multi-threading CPU intensity the multi-thread CPU will win. So I would invest in a quad to six core processor with HT for length of survivability. I have found a lot of his benchmark videos really helpful in education so it may be worth looking into them if you have the time.

I would give yourself a budget though, weather it be large or small just so you have an idea.

You also might want to check releases on New products.

i would say if it is only for gaming i would get the 3770k

That only fits the 1155 Socket right??

cos i'm kinda stuck between the Sabertooth x79 and the Asrock x79, they are both socket 2011

He is right the 3770k is a good processor for gaming and personally I have the non-k version and I'm running tomb raider on my 60" flat panel on hd at about 25 fps which is not noticable.

Getting the unlocked CPU is a big bonus though. I haven't looked at the options for your socket yet as I don't plan a CPU/motherboard upgrade for probably two years.

your hardest choice is probably going to be the graphics card options.

I almost watching Linus 24/7, for benchmark and tips. this project started with me selling my old pc, thinkin, i'll just buy a new one, but holy ****,

a lot has changed since i investigated time in these things, 6 years ago.

But i found that evry time i settle for some component, i read somewhere that it is not the way to go, you should go for that and that and so forth..

So im pretty confused at the moment.

As far as the budget goes, im from Denmark, so the prices are abit different than yours, but im willing to spend around 2500$

Why not just go for a 3570K, a decent Z77 board, great sound card and have your triple monitors now?

your hardest choice is probably going to be the graphics card options.

Ohhhhh. Dont i know it :)

Why not just go for a 3570K' date=' a decent Z77 board, great sound card and have your triple monitors now?[/quote']

That would be a possibility, but then i need to invest in another 2 monitors, not sure i´m up for that yet

This option might last him a year and a half then the next gen stuff is going to come out, to include games. The 3570k is a great processor from what I have seen, but what's going to happen when the newest game demands more?

It's always going to be a fight to stay on the bleeding edge of technology, but as long as you can catch it at the right time you will be in good shape

Why not just go for a 3570K' date=' a decent Z77 board, great sound card and have your triple monitors now?[/quote'] That would be a possibility, but then i need to invest in another 2 monitors, not sure i´m up for that yet

Well, I guess that is up to you..

This option might last him a year and a half then the next gen stuff is going to come out' date=' to include games. The 3570k is a great processor from what I have seen, but what's going to happen when the newest game demands more? It's always going to be a fight to stay on the bleeding edge of technology, but as long as you can catch it at the right time you will be in good shape[/quote']

Overclocking will happen.

You can't overclock for more threads though. So maybe a 3770k would be a better option?

You can't overclock for more threads though. So maybe a 3770k would be a better option?

Is that better then a 3820, cos the 3820 is 5$ cheper then 3770k.

I must admit, i know nothing about cpu´s

Just thought, going with the new X79 chipset, would be best, but then again, i'm likely to be wrong

How many games do you know of that use up 8 threads? Maybe in a few months there will be a few PS4 games that use 8 threads, but those games will be no problem for a quad core desktop CPU. Oh and you can unlock cores on some AMD chips. But it's risky, sometimes not worth it. Nah, don't do that.

If money is no object then just get what ever you want :] I have a habit of trying to save money >.<

I'm very confident that my 3570K will last me all the way through out the new socket 1150.

I too have a habit of saving money, but then again, i want to have a system for the next couple of years that just goes, with the option of running gtx 680 in sli, when the need is there. so i also want something that is save for the future.

in not the upgrading kind of guy, so i´m thinking, and maybe it is crazy talk, but isn't there that possibility, that in 3 years games run 8 threads??

ps: im sorry if in not making any sense, but i'm translating with my best english skills, not sure if it is coherent talk..

Decent gaming rig? I'd go with something like this;

Intel 3570K or AMD 8350

Asus P8Z77-V, ASRock Extreme 4 or AMD equivalents.

8GB 1600C9 RAM @2x4 - Corsair Vengeance

128GB SSD for boot - Samsung 840, Samsung 840 Pro, Sandisk Extreme, Kingston HyperK, OCZ Vertex 4, Vector

1 or 2TB 7.2k drive - Seagate Barracuda, WD Black.

GTX670/680 or 7970 - I like the MSI cards due to their thermal soluitions.

600w PSU - Silverstone, Seasonic, Corsair ect.

That will eat just about any game you throw at it.