Need to reset BIOS when switching CPU? (I5 4440)

I'm upgrading my Pentium g3258 to an i5 4440 soon. It was over clocked and has a vcore of 1.25v. 

Do I need to reset the BIOS before I place the new CPU? More importantly, will the motherboard pick a suitable voltage for the i5 or will it stay at 1.25v?

P.S All vcores of each CPUs (even the same models) are different . Does the motherboard determine the default voltage? If so,how?

I say it's good practice, but you don't have to since the BIOS will run over its setup.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Before you put out that CPU, make sure you go to BIOS and put it to stock settings.

BIOS should recognise that you have changed CPU with not overclockable one, but you never know.

Just to be sure, reset BIOS settings :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

it good practice to clear the CMOS of the old CPU settings

also if you are on RAID of any kind.

be sure to do a backup of the BIOS if you have the function to save previous settings.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

13 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Before you put out that CPU, make sure you go to BIOS and put it to stock settings.

BIOS should recognise that you have changed CPU with not overclockable one, but you never know.

Just to be sure, reset BIOS settings :)

Right can I reset the BIOS settings by just setting it to factory defaults? Or do I need to remove the CMOS battery?

1 minute ago, astralwolf said:

Right can I reset the BIOS settings by just setting it to factory defaults? Or do I need to remove the CMOS battery?

Factory defaults.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, astralwolf said:

Either of that will be fine. As far as I know, both do exactly the same thing.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

I upgraded my I5 4430 to an I7 4970K last December. When swapping over I installed everything correctly but the PC would not boot to bios. I had updated my BIOS to the latest available but that didn't do the trick. This caused me quite a bit of trouble and asus support were no help. In the end I needed to updated the bios on the mobo using the asus bios update tool.

I would check if you need to do this before swapping out your CPU as swapping back and forth, reapplying thermal paste is a pain. 

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.5ghz | Mobo: Asus B85MG | RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB 1600Mhz | GPU: R9 390X 

SSD: Kingston 240GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W | Case: CIT Dominator + 6 Corsair AF120 Fans all around | 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TX3 | Monitor: BenQ XL2730z 144Mhz 1440p | 

Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE | Mouse: Razer DeatherAdder Chroma

34 minutes ago, GonzoPoet said:

I upgraded my I5 4430 to an I7 4970K last December. When swapping over I installed everything correctly but the PC would not boot to bios. I had updated my BIOS to the latest available but that didn't do the trick. This caused me quite a bit of trouble and asus support were no help. In the end I needed to updated the bios on the mobo using the asus bios update tool.

I would check if you need to do this before swapping out your CPU as swapping back and forth, reapplying thermal paste is a pain. 

Yea it's supported don't worry

3 hours ago, astralwolf said:

Do I need to reset the BIOS before I place the new CPU? More importantly, will the motherboard pick a suitable voltage for the i5 or will it stay at 1.25v?

If you have 1.25 V set as a manual voltage, my assumption is that it will apply that it to any CPU installed. If the voltage is set to Auto, it will probably detect the i5's factory vcore.

1.25 V isn't a particularly high voltage so it's not a great concern, but it probably doesn't need to be that high on a locked CPU. It would be a good idea to reset the BIOS (using the Load Factory Defaults option, or whatever it's called on your board) just to make sure everything is detected properly. There are a lot more CPU settings than just frequency and vcore that can be incorrect.

5 hours ago, astralwolf said:

I'm upgrading my Pentium g3258 to an i5 4440 soon. It was over clocked and has a vcore of 1.25v. 

P.S All vcores of each CPUs (even the same models) are different . Does the motherboard determine the default voltage? If so,how?

Yes reset Bios to default. then change the cpu. Then install the new one, boot up, open bios and set it like you want :)

All right guys thx :D I'll make sure to do some before-after benchmarking too