mitx virtualization server

If you are going to dedicate cores to different VM's, then get a CPU with a lot of cores.  i5 would be good, but AMD will probably be better here as though they are slower, you can get a 6-8 core CPU within your price range where you can't on the Intel side.

6 hours ago, Dark said:

If you're switch doesn't support 802.3ad link aggregation then you'll have to dedicate one port to something independent of the other...which will take some work if you don't have a switch that supports vlans (if you don't have LAG support then you likely don't have vlan support).  Not impossible to setup but may require additional hardware.

I have a good idea of how to do it with 3 or 4 subnets but it's going to be a pain. I have a 24port managed gigabit switch so it has ling aggregation and vlans

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

3 minutes ago, Gerr said:

If you are going to dedicate cores to different VM's, then get a CPU with a lot of cores.  i5 would be good, but AMD will probably be better here as though they are slower, you can get a 6-8 core CPU within your price range where you can't on the Intel side.

here are the cpus and their prices in my area:
6300 - 105
8300 - 140
6350 - 150
8320 - 145
8320E - 145
8350 - 170

prices in euros. which cpu should I buy?

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

I'll need an AMD fan-boy to chime in here as I don't know much about the different models of AMD CPU's.

On 10/28/2016 at 5:04 PM, Gerr said:

I'll need an AMD fan-boy to chime in here as I don't know much about the different models of AMD CPU's.

all the ones that start with 8 are octacores and the ones that start with 6 are hexacores. the difference is in clockspeed between the other models and in the case of the 8320E a lower tdp as well.