Windows 10 Multiboot issues

Go to solution Solved by JefferyD90,
4 hours ago, Hybrid Divide said:

Hello all.  I built myself a new PC earlier this year (with a bit of help from this forum!).  But lately, I've been having issues with my multiboot Windows 10 Pro setup.

My PC's case has a sata dock, and I've installed Windows 10 Pro on both my internal SSD, and on another SSD I occasionally dock into my case when I need to boot into a different environment.

For the longest time, when I wanted to boot into the external SSD, I'd just select the drive in my boot menu, and that drive's version of Windows would boot right up!  Which is exactly what I was hoping for.

The problems didn't start until after I installed the 1607 anniversary update on both drives.  

Now, if I boot into the external SSD, a new windows menu comes up that allows me to select a windows OS to start (also allows me to set defaults and such).

Problem is, it's inconsistent. Sometimes, when I select an OS, it'll load it right up.  Other times, it'll reboot, I have to select the desired boot drive AGAIN, and it loads up the proper OS without showing the menu.  If I don't select the external, it'll boot into the internal drive automatically.

I'd LIKE to get it back to where I just had to select the desired boot drive and have that OS load up.  But I'd settle for simply not having my machine reboot when the OS has been selected in the Windows menu.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

System specs:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k

Ram: 32GB DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

Internal SSD: Samsung 500GB

External SSD: Samsung 250GB

Storage HDD: 3TB Western Digital

you need to fix the boot manager.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542273(v=vs.85).aspx

This is a good place to start.  Check the OS that you're having problems with.

Hello all.  I built myself a new PC earlier this year (with a bit of help from this forum!).  But lately, I've been having issues with my multiboot Windows 10 Pro setup.

My PC's case has a sata dock, and I've installed Windows 10 Pro on both my internal SSD, and on another SSD I occasionally dock into my case when I need to boot into a different environment.

For the longest time, when I wanted to boot into the external SSD, I'd just select the drive in my boot menu, and that drive's version of Windows would boot right up!  Which is exactly what I was hoping for.

The problems didn't start until after I installed the 1607 anniversary update on both drives.  

Now, if I boot into the external SSD, a new windows menu comes up that allows me to select a windows OS to start (also allows me to set defaults and such).

Problem is, it's inconsistent. Sometimes, when I select an OS, it'll load it right up.  Other times, it'll reboot, I have to select the desired boot drive AGAIN, and it loads up the proper OS without showing the menu.  If I don't select the external, it'll boot into the internal drive automatically.

I'd LIKE to get it back to where I just had to select the desired boot drive and have that OS load up.  But I'd settle for simply not having my machine reboot when the OS has been selected in the Windows menu.

System specs:

4 hours ago, Hybrid Divide said:

System specs:

you need to fix the boot manager.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542273(v=vs.85).aspx

This is a good place to start.  Check the OS that you're having problems with.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE